Need 4 Roto Keepers - Am I crazy to consider this move ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need 4 Roto Keepers - Am I crazy to consider this move ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need 4 Roto Keepers - Am I crazy to consider this move ?

Postby laughalot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 pm

8 Team - NL 5x5 Roto League - 4 Keepers

My options are :

P. Goldschmidt
B. Harper
C. Gonzalez
A. McCutchen

B. Hamilton

Seems obvious that the top 4 should be the keepers but I am seriously considering cutting someone to keep Hamilton. His ability to be a factor for many years and to put up ridiculous SB and Runs Scored numbers are very attractive. Trading of one of my top 4 is not permitted so I can't even consider it. I pick 3rd in the upcoming draft and any of the top 4 will go with the first or second pick. Getting Hamilton through to the 3rd pick is possible but I know several owners covet his speed and youth in this long time keeper league. Some owners have had keepers for over 10 years in this league so owners definitely draft for the long term.

Am I nuts to cut one of my top 4 and if not, which one gets cut?

Thanks.
laughalot
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need 4 Roto Keepers - Am I crazy to consider this move ?

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:21 pm

you'll probly regret this in a few years but you are loaded for this year and theres no way you can drop 1 of todays stars for tomorrows...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby converge241 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:48 pm

I cant see doing it, if you just keep players with no costs you have to keep the better players. Not only are those guys better players right now but all big keeper types as well. Annointing him as a keeper above one of the others is actually a big investment on a small sample size.

If your league had some type of cost to keep then you could maybe have the discussion about player x for a fortune or hamilton for cheap; but even then you still have to lean to the proven guys.

I own and love Hamilton on a dynasty team but we keep a world of players, if I had to cut today down to 4 he wouldnt make it and thats with agreeing how much SB he can bring and possibly drive that category for a team singlehandidly. Id let him go and try to redraft him or other SB sources later.

Dont mess with a good thing - that's a solid keeper corr you are holding. It's not crazy at all to sit and relaize what he cna bring but you just ahve to put a reasonable cap on what you would do to obtain it and the ROI it would give and I just don't see it.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:32 am

Stop. Don't even think about it again. Seriously. Remember the name Dee Gordon. People had that same thought about him except he had a similar problem, couldn't get on 1B. Hamilton is likely to be slightly better but not enough to be more valuable than the guys you have. Yeah he has great speed and all of that but that doesn't mean he is a lock for 100 SB.

Remember you will have a good chance of drafting Hamilton if you really want him but don't give up top 25 kind of talent to take a flyer on a guy who has problems getting on base. Play to win now, don't start trying to over think things, that is when you hurt your ability to win championships.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby plamb23 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:04 pm

No stinking way! Could barely think of 4 better keeps
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 275)

Postby JasonisFreng » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:27 am

If I had to substitute one it would be Harper. He has always had so much hype and has played hard with average numbers. He's not a bad player but he's not the best young player in the game. I wouldn't even say he is top 5.
"Going going back back" -Notorious BIG
JasonisFreng
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 83)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:59 am

JasonisFreng wrote:If I had to substitute one it would be Harper. He has always had so much hype and has played hard with average numbers. He's not a bad player but he's not the best young player in the game. I wouldn't even say he is top 5.

Harper was 20 last year and was actually having a very good year when he ran into a wall. His numbers took a step back after that and he was dealing with injuries for most of the season. No way do you let Harper go and keep Hamilton over him. Hamilton has one thing going for him, speed. Harper can be a top 10 player overall. If you are keeping Hamilton (who is two years older) because he might get you a bunch of SB, why wouldn't you just keep Harper who might be one of the best players we have seen in a while.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Brainstorm » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 pm

I don't see why you couldn't just draft Hamilton a few rounds into the draft. If you drop any of these players, there's a huge chance they go #1 in your draft. Value wise, it would be a poor move to make this happen. You essentially have 4 of the top 10 overall options in an NL only. No reason to tinker.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby Element » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:50 pm

"Am I crazy to consider this move ?"

YES! You only keep four players. COMPLETELY ignore age in a league like this unless you need a tiebreaker. Keep the best players. IMO, the only time you consider age on a scale like this would be a dynasty league. Even then, I would not move any of those guys for a 1 category player.

Dee Gordon was mentioned above. Another name to take into consideration on a larger scale would be Jose Reyes. Reyes warranted round 1-2 consideration when he was stealing 50+ bags AND smacking 15 homers while hitting 0.300. All of this while SS eligible. Hamilton will never flash this kind of power & would likely struggle to hit higher than 0.260-0.270 at any point in his career. Hamilton's value is not even in the same league as these other guys. Don't over think this.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions