Freeman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Freeman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Freeman

Postby GiantsSwag2542 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 pm

10 team keeper league. What is Freeman worth? Trade ideas?
GiantsSwag2542
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Freeman

Postby BigLebowski » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:09 am

GiantsSwag2542 wrote:10 team keeper league. What is Freeman worth? Trade ideas?

What are your needs and what is the league setup? Two very important details.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:24 am

Can we see your roster along with any rosters of those interested in him key FA highlights and some semblance of your scoring system? Right now he's a top 10 fantasy 1b (lower tier 2 of those)...but in a keeper long term he goes up a couple slots to crack the top 5. I mean the guy can flat out hit...look at his approach and his power will only grow. I see a few Adrian Gonzalez (S. Diego one year in Boston type of numbers from him in his prime).

Generally speaking, hitters who have league leading homerun capability have ISO’s north of .300. Players who average more than 30 home runs a season have ISO’s above .230 Freddie Freeman has never come close to these numbers in Atlanta or in the minor leagues..His numbers are eerily similar to that of John Olerud who hit his power peak at the age of 24 (same age is Freeman in 2014)...but he's slightly larger in frame, muscle and also had a nice fluid power swing. Also, in the last two decades only Fielder and Pujols have hit more homers thus far in their careers as Freeman (worth noting). Power wise, consistent production (from a guy like say Swisher is a good comparison except he's a much better hitter with way better bat speed).

Good points for Freeman: each year in the league his walk rate increase, K rate dropped, and his line drive rate is third best in the majors. So maybe his unusually high BABIP from 2013 is not an abhorrition at all. Do not fall into the trap and think you are going to see Chris Davis or Prince Fielder power from him. I would expect him to put up consistent numbers year to year now that his vision problems are corrected. He takes a great approach at the plate, as I said before, so its not to say his stats were an anomoly ya know. He consistently hits the ball with authority so its not a stretch to say he can be a 300 100 RBI guy in all his prime years. Sure his power might grow, but I wouldn't expect more than 25-30 homers a season. I think what you see is what you get from him. he's a good safe option that you can count on year in and out. I mean the power potential IS there, but his approach is like that of Helton (my comparison) - the guy is a hitter first, slugger 2nd.

I do want to point out a few things, last year his ISO was right on target with his career ISO. Another point of reference:

--Had a 387 woba which ranked him 13th amongst active players and made him the #3 1b in that category.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1948)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:24 am

Can we see your roster along with any rosters of those interested in him key FA highlights and some semblance of your scoring system? Right now he's a top 10 fantasy 1b (lower tier 2 of those)...but in a keeper long term he goes up a couple slots to crack the top 5. I mean the guy can flat out hit...look at his approach and his power will only grow. I see a few Adrian Gonzalez (S. Diego one year in Boston type of numbers from him in his prime).

Generally speaking, hitters who have league leading homerun capability have ISO’s north of .300. Players who average more than 30 home runs a season have ISO’s above .230 Freddie Freeman has never come close to these numbers in Atlanta or in the minor leagues..His numbers are eerily similar to that of John Olerud who hit his power peak at the age of 24 (same age is Freeman in 2014)...but he's slightly larger in frame, muscle and also had a nice fluid power swing. Also, in the last two decades only Fielder and Pujols have hit more homers thus far in their careers as Freeman (worth noting). Power wise, consistent production (from a guy like say Swisher is a good comparison except he's a much better hitter with way better bat speed).

Good points for Freeman: each year in the league his walk rate increase, K rate dropped, and his line drive rate is third best in the majors. So maybe his unusually high BABIP from 2013 is not an abhorrition at all. Do not fall into the trap and think you are going to see Chris Davis or Prince Fielder power from him. I would expect him to put up consistent numbers year to year now that his vision problems are corrected. He takes a great approach at the plate, as I said before, so its not to say his stats were an anomoly ya know. He consistently hits the ball with authority so its not a stretch to say he can be a 300 100 RBI guy in all his prime years. Sure his power might grow, but I wouldn't expect more than 25-30 homers a season. I think what you see is what you get from him. he's a good safe option that you can count on year in and out. I mean the power potential IS there, but his approach is like that of Helton (my comparison) - the guy is a hitter first, slugger 2nd.

I do want to point out a few things, last year his ISO was right on target with his career ISO. Another point of reference:

--Had a 387 woba which ranked him 13th amongst active players and made him the #3 1b in that category.

Value wise I would try and get an elite MI for him who isn't too old. If you want fair targets I'll list by position:

C--Buster Posey
2b--Jason Kipnis
3b--Edwin Encarnacion, Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado
SS-Jean Segura, Elvis Andrus
OF-Adam Jones, Justin Upton, Starling Marte
SP-Chris Sale, Matt Moore, Madison Bumgarner
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert