Offline Draft question for prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Offline Draft question for prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offline Draft question for prospects

Postby BigWebb48 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm in the middle of an offline dynasty draft right now, round 7 has just started. I was wondering when it would be the right time to start thinking about Taveras,Sano, lindor, buxton, bradley etc. to be selected. only "prospect" to be picked so far was Boegarts, but was just wondering, I was thinking, Taveras would be soonest, since he's closest to the majors, but any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
BigWebb48
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Offline Draft question for prospects

Postby MaudDib » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:44 am

How many teams? How big of rosters? Any minor league roster spots?

Kind of depends on how you want to build your team and how you think your draft is going. As long as there are good players still on the draft board, then I am taking them and waiting on minor leaguers. As soon as I get to the point in the draft where all the players seem pretty equal, then I would go after a prospect or two. This of course depends on league size and roster constructions.

While you want to be able to get some of those young guys, you don't want to take them over players in the majors right now who have a good track record or with similar upside. Many times I see teams go the young route to early and then it is hard for them to ever be competitive. Remember that a good portion of the top prospects will be either fail or be avg fantasy players. Only a few take it that next step and it could take a number of years for that to happen.

Also it would be good to know how knowledgeable your other league mates are.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby BigWebb48 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks for the answer, so far, we're in the middle of round 8 and Taveras, Buxton and Bryant have just come off the board. But like you said, there is still alot of quality on the draft board I think as far as young, proven players go. Thanks for the answer though. I was thinking along those lines as well
BigWebb48
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 pm

MaudDib wrote:How many teams? How big of rosters? Any minor league roster spots?

...Remember that a good portion of the top prospects will be either fail or be avg fantasy players...

I just read something that supported this. It said that only about 30% of the top 100 prospect will go on to become productive fantasy players and only 50% of the top 20.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby Brainstorm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:19 pm

pjalst wrote:
MaudDib wrote:How many teams? How big of rosters? Any minor league roster spots?

...Remember that a good portion of the top prospects will be either fail or be avg fantasy players...

I just read something that supported this. It said that only about 30% of the top 100 prospect will go on to become productive fantasy players and only 50% of the top 20.

Those numbers sound too optimistic to be honest. Puts an even greater perspective on things. Go for proven players.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby BigWebb48 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks for the help fellas. I was thinking the same way you were, but thought maybe I'd see if it's worth it to grab a guy like Sano,Lindor or Bradley around round 9 or 10
BigWebb48
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Brainstorm wrote:
pjalst wrote:

Those numbers sound too optimistic to be honest. Puts an even greater perspective on things. Go for proven players.

Not really, It said go on to be productive, not go on to be superstars. You have waiver wire FA's that are productive. Doesn't sound too optimistic to me.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 am

I might be willing to pay a decent price for a premium position player like Miguel Sano...else I would pass on the others right now. if you are going to take a young player, make it one that has an inside shot at a full time gig next season (like Tavares, Profar IE)
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1943)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions