DMB League - Trade Braun? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

DMB League - Trade Braun? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DMB League - Trade Braun? WHIR

Postby napes22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm in a 24 team DMB league - a simulation league in which you build a team and games are simmed based off of prior years stats. Basically you get 110% usage, so if a player has 600PA in a year, we get to use him for 660 PA before they are lowered to replacement level. So you need to bring in players who had good years, but also those with full usage (or form a platoon).

In this league I've had Ryan Braun since his rookie year. Braun is still affordable salary wise especially give what he does in a full season. However due to the steroid mess, he is only giving me 250 PA this upcoming year. My thought is to trade him to a rebuilding team and get some depth.

Current offer: Ryan Braun for Jeff Samardzija and the 18th Rookie pick. This is a very deep draft given the young talent that came up. Should I trade him off, or use him for his 200PA and wait for him to return to form?

My team right now is very light in terms of usage and good stats (Only 1B, 3B, and CF have full time players) and I have limited FA money to play with.

SP: Cain, Buchholz, Kershaw, Maholm
C: Miguel Montero
1B Joey Votto
2B: TBD
3B David Wright
SS: Hanley Ramirez
OF: Ryan Braun, Michael Bourn, TBD
DH: TBD
napes22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: DMB League - Trade Braun? WHIR

Postby Element » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Sounds like you are in a rebuilding mode yourself. Why not let Braun return to form and then look to move him? Trading him him for pennies on the dollar seems like a bad idea to me.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby napes22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Element wrote:Sounds like you are in a rebuilding mode yourself. Why not let Braun return to form and then look to move him? Trading him him for pennies on the dollar seems like a bad idea to me.

That was one of my options too - take a season off, rebuild a little and make a push when guys like Hanley, Braun, Clay, and Montero have healthy and productive seasons. If I take that route, which guys should I trade? Cain and Wright are the least affordable after this season and have the most value.

The tough part is that my division is so weak, I could walk into the playoffs with a team with massive holes (ie: don't make any trades).
napes22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 pm

if his contract is reasonable for 15 too I'd take the 200 AB's this year and try to fill in the rest
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby napes22 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 pm

fast dogs wrote:if his contract is reasonable for 15 too I'd take the 200 AB's this year and try to fill in the rest

His contract is reasonable. He's at 3M, 3.5M, 4.1M, 4.7M through 2017.

The guys that are bordering on too expensive are Cain (4.7M, 5.5M, 6.3M) and Wright (5.2M, 6.2M). I'd consider trading them and filling in their innings with lesser players. Bourn and Maholm aren't being resigned after this year after.
napes22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm all about win now but the trade for Jeff S isn't going to help that; keep Braun
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby napes22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:02 am

fast dogs wrote:I'm all about win now but the trade for Jeff S isn't going to help that; keep Braun

It gives me an affordable long term 3rd starter, and free money to spend in FA on areas I need. With the depth of this draft I could be looking at a Ryu, Rendon, Gyorko, or even a guy like Wheeler or Yelich (assuming they fall) at the 18 spot. But I'm starting to see it the same way that Braun is too much of a commodity to give up like this.
napes22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:46 am

napes22 wrote:
fast dogs wrote:I'm all about win now but the trade for Jeff S isn't going to help that; keep Braun

It gives me an affordable long term 3rd starter, and free money to spend in FA on areas I need. With the depth of this draft I could be looking at a Ryu, Rendon, Gyorko, or even a guy like Wheeler or Yelich (assuming they fall) at the 18 spot. But I'm starting to see it the same way that Braun is too much of a commodity to give up like this.

I agree with the rest as you are know too. Keep Braun and then look to deal him. You should be able to get something better than a middle starter and a solid draft pick.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:11 pm

You should be able to get a cheap OF3 so I wouldn't worry there. You can probably get a back end starter off the scrap heap :D. 2b might be an issue but here are some deep options to consider:

Dan Uggla (yes I know but the power/BB was there last year if he can rebound even at all...might come at minimal price)
Kolten Wong
Alex Guerrero
Josh Rutledge
Brian Dozier
Jed Lowrie (if you can pry him in package)
Neil Walker
Gordon Beckham

For OF:
Jake Marisnick
Drew Lambo
Jon Singleton
Michael Choice
Adam Eaton
George Springer
Greg Polanco (if you want a 20/20 Choo type)
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1886)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions