Braun + Draft Pick for Freeman + Choo WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Braun + Draft Pick for Freeman + Choo WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Braun + Draft Pick for Freeman + Choo WHIR

Postby segerfan83 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:27 pm

I am in a 12 team keeper league where we get to keep 6 players with no draft penalties each year. It is a 7 x 7 roto league with OBP, SLG, HD, and K/BB as the extra categories. My roster looks like this (probably keepers are bolded):

Salvador Perez, KC C
Freddie Freeman, Atl 1B
Jose Altuve, Hou 2B
Ryan Zimmerman, Wsh 3B
Andrelton Simmons, Atl SS
Chase Utley, Phi 2B
Chris Johnson, Atl 3B, 1B
Giancarlo Stanton, Mia OF
Jason Heyward, Atl OF
Jayson Werth, Wsh OF
Shin-Soo Choo, FA OF
Hunter Pence, SF OF
Bryce Harper, Wsh OF
Jean Segura, Mil SS

Greg Holland, KC RP
Glen Perkins, Min RP
Jon Lester, Bos SP
Jim Henderson, Mil RP
Kevin Gregg, FA RP
Travis Wood, ChC SP
Tommy Hunter, Bal SP, RP
Ubaldo Jimenez, FA SP
Marc Rzepczynski, Cle RP
Dane De La Rosa, LAA RP
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP
Jordan Zimmermann, Wsh SP
Rick Porcello, Det SP

I won the league last year and so I will pick 12th this coming draft. I have been offered Braun plus a swap of my 12th pick for the 9th pick for Freeman and Choo. Would you make this deal? Why or why not? Do you agree with the keepers that I have selected?

Any advice/thoughts would be great. Please post a link and I will be sure to offer up some advice as well.
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braun + Draft Pick for Freeman + Choo WHIR

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:19 am

If you are not keeping Choo, then you a basically trading Braun for Freeman and you get to pick 3 picks earlier. No brainer if you ask me.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby NY Knights » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:16 am

Yeah, I'm with the Big Lebowski on this one.

I have Braun and Freeman both going in the second round this year, Choo around the 6-7th. It's not like Braun is coming off an injury, assuming he doesn't mind getting boo'ed on the road, I'd expect he goes right back to his prior numbers. It's not a deal you'd make during the regular season, but the other owner is crafty to ask for a useful guy just outside your keepers. You could ask for more differential in the picks, act like you have concerns about Braun.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
NY Knights
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 am

I agree with everyone else of the most part. I have Braun ranked higher than Freeman and Choo is just and added bonus at the moment. The problem is that you already have 3 OF. How many OF spots do you have and how many UTIL spots do you have? Not such a sure trade if you then have to make a second deal to give your team better depth.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby segerfan83 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Thank you to everyone so far for your advice. To clarify, we have 3 OF spots and 2 UTIL spots. I know this would leave me with a ton of OFs and not a lot of else, but having such a potentially high ceiling for my OF should be able to compensate for the lack of depth elsewhere. I could also make a trade later in the year as well. My thinking is, take the best men available, no matter the position and then work from there. However, where I get hung up on is whether Braun is actually better than Freeman. Maybe this year, but what about after that? I suggested that he offer Braun and swap 3 draft picks for Freeman and Choo. Would that seal the deal for you?
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 am

If you are worried about depth do this deal then pull another trade. You are getting the best of this deal, so you have to take it. Worry about depth when the season starts you can always trade for need.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby Element » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:39 pm

segerfan83 wrote:Thank you to everyone so far for your advice. To clarify, we have 3 OF spots and 2 UTIL spots. I know this would leave me with a ton of OFs and not a lot of else, but having such a potentially high ceiling for my OF should be able to compensate for the lack of depth elsewhere. I could also make a trade later in the year as well. My thinking is, take the best men available, no matter the position and then work from there. However, where I get hung up on is whether Braun is actually better than Freeman. Maybe this year, but what about after that? I suggested that he offer Braun and swap 3 draft picks for Freeman and Choo. Would that seal the deal for you?

This is where you stop. In a league that only keeps 6 players you need to hold you best 6. Do not look at future seasons. Before last season would you have thought that you could, in 8 months, be considering a Freeman for Braun swap straight up? Of course not. The lesson here is that players drafted in the middle rounds or later can be potential early round consideration (see Freeman, Puig, Davis, Gomez, etc.). There are few players in the game that have been a staple like Braun has been. I know he has had some issues, but I don't see his numbers just falling off. He is easily a top 10 player, IMO.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 793)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions