Auction league AL only trade question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Auction league AL only trade question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction league AL only trade question

Postby Surfs up » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:51 am

I have two closers that right now I am planning on keeping. Casey Janssen 1.00 and Uehara 1.00. We keep eight players. I'm keeping five pitchers Kluber 1.00 Gray 8.00 Cobb 8.00 are the other three.
This is a 12 team Al 260.00 auction league. 23 man rosters
A guy in my league has been asking me for Janssen. He's offered me the # 3 pick for Janssen. I rejected. Picks are used to pick up any left over major leaguers that didn't get drafted. Or for minor leaguers. I have Byron Buxton as a minor leaguers.
This owner has Asvail Garcia for only 4.00. I was thinking of offering Janssen for Garcia. Since this manager keeps asking me for Janssen I was thinking of asking him for Garcia and his # 3 pick and giving him Janssen and my # 13 or later pick. Am I asking for too much? Should I keep Janssen?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction league AL only trade question

Postby MaudDib » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:54 am

How quickly will costs escalate?

I think I take a gamble on Garcia. With young players you don't know how quickly they will figure things out. He could break out this year or it could take him a couple years to start reaching his potential. Either way, I would look to get someone with some upside in return. I know it is an AL only but relief pitchers can be found.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Surfs up » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks for the help. Just so you know this league over pays for players. Fielder went for 41.00. Darvish went for 28.00. I have Max Scherzer for 25.00 but thought unless I can trade him for a top pick I would throw him back. Save money by keeping two closers at 1.00 each . I'm sure I can get him back for that or close at the draft
I think Garcia will be a 20 hr 80 rbi guy in that ball park a full season. Cheap at 4.00 but so is Janssen at 1.00. This league also values closers. Johnson was kept last year at 11.00.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Element » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm

I don't think that those are overpays at all in a $260 cap league. I am in two different full universe leagues structured the same way and the pricing is about the same for the elite talents.

It goes back to what MaudDib asked. How quickly do costs escalate? What do the contract terms look like? I like Janssen better in the short term, but Garcia carries some big upside if you can wait for it.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby Surfs up » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Janssen remains 1.00 unless his contact is extended before the draft. Each year after this year cost 5.00 per year. Garcia remains 4.00 . But just before the 2015 draft his contract will have to be extended . We have to extend players before the start of their third year if they were kept the two years prior.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Element » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:08 pm

So Janssen would be $6 for 2014 and Garcia would be $4 ...

I guess it depends on how much confidence you have in back filling the closer spot. I think that in a standard redraft that Janssen would go well before Garcia. If you can only take a small lump at closer in hopes that Garcia figures it out in 2014 you will be in good shape moving forward. Since you seemed to be able to acquire Janssen for $1 at some point I'm going to assume that if you're active enough that finding another closer wouldn't be a huge challenge.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby Surfs up » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm

No . Janssen would be 1.00 for 2014. If not extended before the draft he goes back to the draft for 2015. Yes. Garcia would be 4.00 in 2014 and 2015. but to be kept longer he would need to be extended before the 2015 draft. So estentially Garcia has one extra year. He would be 3.00 more this year but could be kept for 2015 whereas Janseen won't be. I would not extend him if I didn't trade him.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaudDib » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 pm

I think I do the deal and hope that Garcia hits. Pitching is just too volatile and when an injury strikes it can easily be long stretches. Hitters are a little safer even if he is still a pup.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Hm, I would take the one buck closer here and go into the draft with more free funds to work with. Use him as trade bait later once you get a better idea of what your needs will be post draft.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1936)

Postby Surfs up » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Looks like that's the plan. Keep Janssen and Koji for a buck each. I'm also keeping Kluber for a buck . Gray and Cobb are each 8.00 .
Donaldson 6.00, Iglesais 3.00 and Trout 25.00 ( that's extending him 4 years so I can keep him a total of five more ) I bump that up a year when we get to roster freeze. So with those keepers and Trout at 25.00 I'm at 53.00 for my 8 keeper with a 260.00 cap. 207.00 to spend at the draft for 15 players. 9 pitchers and 14 hitters is what we roster with no bench until after the draft. I have Scherzer for 25.00 I'll try to trade for an upgrade in picks ( minor leaguers and left over major leaguers ) or just throw him back and maybe redraft at that price or close to it.
Thanks for your help ;-D
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions