stanton/mauer for Jose Fernandez/Belt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

stanton/mauer for Jose Fernandez/Belt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: stanton/mauer for Jose Fernandez/Belt

Postby Donnie740 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Element wrote:
Donnie740 wrote:Belt & Mauer are non factors. Belt is waiver wire fodder and with Mauer possibly losing C eligibility in a year or two his value will take a big drop. But for 2014 Mauer has more value than Belt.

I disagree with this statement. I have him ranked 12th in my 1B rankings (removing Posey & Santana). Belt possesses one of the best line drive rates over the past two seasons & started to hit more balls in the air in 2013. I think that he can get to 20 homers this season. Not bad for a guy that can potentially hit 0.300 and steal double digit bags at your 1B spot. I would gladly add him as my CI.

If you're in a 16 team league or if your roster includes a CI spot, it's obviously a different story. Personal rankings are always debatable, but I don't see Belt any higher than the 15 to 18 range for 1B.

The top 12 are pretty much no-brainers - - Goldschmidt, Fielder, Freeman, C Davis, Votto, Craig, Encarnacion, Pujols, Gonzalez, Butler, Trumbo and Hosmer - - all easily ahead of Belt.

There's a group which would include vets that have a much more proven track record than Belt - - V Martinez, Cuddyer, Lind, LaRoche, Swisher. Belt falls in with a group of young 1B with potential - - Rizzo, Adams, Carter, Moss - - all of whom I'd say have a higher ceiling than Belt.

I can't see Belt outproducing any of the top 12 that I mentioned. Even if he outperforms half of the second tier 1B that still leaves him no better than #16. So in a standard 12 team league, a 1B in the 16 to 22 range is a guy you can swap off the waiver wire quite easily.
12 Team 5x5 Keep 12
C Santana
1B Ortiz
2B Pedroia
3B Wright
SS HRam
OF McCutch
OF J Upton
OF E Young
DH Beltre
DL Bruce Trumbo[/b

SP [b]Gray
Haren Porcello Kluber Garza Peavy Burnett Colon
RP Street Soria
DL Harvey
Donnie740
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:04 am

I'd rather have Stanton but why do you still roster Burnett? He's probably going to retire.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1988)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:04 am

I'd rather have Stanton but why do you still roster Burnett? He's probably going to retire.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1988)

Postby kidsilk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:28 pm

I love Fernandez but I LOVE Stanton more. You gotta go with the elite power bat any day. Take it.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=464671
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1233)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Donnie740 wrote:
Element wrote:
Donnie740 wrote:Belt & Mauer are non factors. Belt is waiver wire fodder and with Mauer possibly losing C eligibility in a year or two his value will take a big drop. But for 2014 Mauer has more value than Belt.

I disagree with this statement. I have him ranked 12th in my 1B rankings (removing Posey & Santana). Belt possesses one of the best line drive rates over the past two seasons & started to hit more balls in the air in 2013. I think that he can get to 20 homers this season. Not bad for a guy that can potentially hit 0.300 and steal double digit bags at your 1B spot. I would gladly add him as my CI.

If you're in a 16 team league or if your roster includes a CI spot, it's obviously a different story. Personal rankings are always debatable, but I don't see Belt any higher than the 15 to 18 range for 1B.

The top 12 are pretty much no-brainers - - Goldschmidt, Fielder, Freeman, C Davis, Votto, Craig, Encarnacion, Pujols, Gonzalez, Butler, Trumbo and Hosmer - - all easily ahead of Belt.

There's a group which would include vets that have a much more proven track record than Belt - - V Martinez, Cuddyer, Lind, LaRoche, Swisher. Belt falls in with a group of young 1B with potential - - Rizzo, Adams, Carter, Moss - - all of whom I'd say have a higher ceiling than Belt.

I can't see Belt outproducing any of the top 12 that I mentioned. Even if he outperforms half of the second tier 1B that still leaves him no better than #16. So in a standard 12 team league, a 1B in the 16 to 22 range is a guy you can swap off the waiver wire quite easily.

While I am not sure where I sit on Belt, that first group is by no means sure things. Belt could easily find himself in the top 10 of 1B by season end.

Davis showed elite power but that second half showed where he is more likely to be. Add in a BA that is likely to be in the .260's and he drops much lower in the rankings. Any injury would push him out of top 10.

I really want Pujols to bounce back but that injury isn't going to go away. Something that will likely bother him going forward whether you hear about it or not.

Craig has had a hard time staying healthy and the Cards might continue to put him in the OF which won't help. Butler is pretty similar to Belt and i don't think he has the upside that I still think Belt has. Gonzalez, who knows. Hosmer and Trumbo are borderline here. Both could easily be better but neither are sure things. Plus injuries will likely change a lot of this.

Point is that Belt is by no means a top 10 1B but he shouldn't be forgotten about either. He is more than a non-factor in most fantasy leagues.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions