H2H/Roto hybrid leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H/Roto hybrid leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H/Roto hybrid leagues

Postby TheTrith » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:20 am

Im wondering if there are any sites that offer hybrid leagues... something like this:

Hitting and pitching categories are selected as usual.

Every week each team competes against all other teams in the league.
If you finish first in any category you get the most "wins" for that stat. If you finish last, you get the fewest.
For example in a 12 team league, if your team hits the most HR's in a given week, you get 12 wins. If you hit the 2nd most HR's you would get 11, and so on down to the team with the fewest HRs for that particular week. (you can call the wins "points" if you like - it really doesn't matter).
For ties there would be half points (or whatever fraction is necessary to distribute points evenly between the tied teams for that stat.)

The main benefit this offers over straight H2H is that it would reduce week to week variance. You still get rewarded for having a monster week even if there is another team that just happens to have a slightly more monster week of their own across the board.
But you also have the satisfaction of beating up on *all* of your buddies when you crush souls in any particular week.

The draw over straight roto is that it does not give teams excess credit for a single huge week (or game or series or whatever). It puts more emphasis on being competitive in every category throughout the entire season, and eliminates my personal biggest issue with roto leagues - teams wont look to outright dump all their SP, or all their their closers, or all their SB players, etc towards the end of the season.
For example if one team has 27 stolen bases in 1 week, that massive lead is only good for top points for *that week*.
The freakish explosion wont carry that team for the entire season.
Similarly, if your team is horrible in one or 2 categories for the first 6 weeks, that doesnt mean you are doomed to finish with 1 roto point on the year for those cats, and ultimately have your entire season tanked. You can make moves improve your team in those areas and still rack up points over the remainder of the season.

Im sure there are some flaws I havent thought of, and I probably didnt explain things as well as I could have, but what do you guys think of this kind of format?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 286)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H/Roto hybrid leagues

Postby Ray Zorback » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:07 am

Interesting. I would like to try this.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 237)

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 am

Not bad, I'd probably give it a try if it was available.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby kellythemick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:15 am

It sounds very interesting to me also. Haven't heard of any sites that have anything similar though.
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby hot4tx » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:20 pm

That sounds stupid cause its different.

;-)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby jeffmerk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Any league that includes the luck factor of H2H is trying to attract the casual fans that play fantasy football.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 81)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:17 am

jeffmerk wrote:Any league that includes the luck factor of H2H is trying to attract the casual fans that play fantasy football.

False.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby J35J » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:18 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:Any league that includes the luck factor of H2H is trying to attract the casual fans that play fantasy football.

False.

What h0rt said.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:14 am

There is definitely more luck involved in HTH during the playoffs than during the regular season, but I've played both and the 5x5 HTH and the 5x5 roto leagues both have the same regular season grind that help cut out a lot of that fantasy football luck syndrome. If you've only ever played one and haven't tried the other, I think you ought to. Both very different games with different strategies - and also different depending on the league size, rules, and competitivenessoucity.

I used to play in more roto leagues than HTH but due to kids/work/family time constraints I've cut back to 2 leagues a year that are both HTH. I do miss roto and find both very enjoyable. ;-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby hardyworld » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:02 pm

You aren't the first person to come up with this style of play. I have been thinking about this style for years (and I know I wasn't the first either). I really wish this type of system would take hold over the standard HTH system in Fantasy Baseball (FF can stay the same, who cares?). I think it'd be a improvement on both current systems.

If you find a major fantasy site that offers this, please let me know!!
2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals
hardyworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers