Looking for Offseason Guidance - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Looking for Offseason Guidance

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for Offseason Guidance

Postby Brainstorm » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Out of the loop a bit in baseball, but time to get rolling again. 12-team keeper league, $260 cap, 23 man roster and unlimited keepers. Price goes up $5 per year per player to keep.

I'm in a bit of a rough spot, because while I have some decent players, they take up a decent amount of cash and leave me with not much for next year's draft. Here's my roster and prices below:

Troy Tulowitzki-28
Prince Fielder-26
Adam Jones-25
Yadier Molina-23
Robinson Canó-23
Matt Kemp-22
Edwin Encarnación-20
Yoenis Céspedes-19
Shane Victorino-12
Coco Crisp-3
Eric Young-3
Will Venable-3
Cliff Lee-25
Yovani Gallardo-24
Joe Nathan-23
Max Scherzer-19
Jon Lester-15
Mike Minor-15
Kenley Jansen-7
Kevin Gregg-3
LaTroy Hawkins-3
Jhoulys Chacin-3
Michael Wacha-3

My initial thoughts are just to keep the best guys and then take the cheap route in the draft, meaning keep:

Tulo
Fielder
Jones
Cano
Kemp
Encarnacion
Cespedes
Young
Lee
Scherzer
Minor
Jansen
Hawkins
Wacha

But doing so leaves me with $22 for 9 players, so I don't think that's the best route. Who would you guys keep? Who would you try to trade? I feel like Lee, Kemp and Cespedes are my best trade candidates, but are also the 3 that bring me the least value because of their cost.

WHIR
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for Offseason Guidance

Postby fast dogs » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:46 am

Auction isn't going to be much fun the first hour or 2, but you'll do fine getting leftovers which will be ok in a 12 team league. In a larger league this wouldn't play as well, but you've got the bases covered now and all you need is the supporting cast.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 300)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Troy Tulowitzki-28
Prince Fielder-26 ;-D
Adam Jones-25 ;-D
Yadier Molina-23
Robinson Canó-23 ;-D
Matt Kemp-22
Edwin Encarnación-20 ;-D
Yoenis Céspedes-19
Shane Victorino-12
Coco Crisp-3
Eric Young-3
Will Venable-3
Cliff Lee-25
Yovani Gallardo-24
Joe Nathan-23
Max Scherzer-19 ;-D
Jon Lester-15 ;-D
Mike Minor-15
Kenley Jansen-7 ;-D
Kevin Gregg-3
LaTroy Hawkins-3
Jhoulys Chacin-3
Michael Wacha-3 ;-D

This is probably who I would go with. I am on the fence with guys like Tulo, Jones, Fielder, EE and Lee. Those seem to be pretty close to the prices they will go for at auction but I haven't done enough research to know for sure. What do big bats usually go for in your auction?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Element » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Are those the 2014 prices or the 2013 prices? Do we need to add the $5? I see a couple of players at $3 already, so I am assuming that the $5 is not already in there.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Brainstorm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 pm

These are 2014 prices. Free agents are $3 to keep. And to be honest, I'm not really sure as this is only the 2nd year of it being an auction league and last year was more of a transition season so people had money to spend and overspent like crazy.

Maud, I was surprised about 2 things you posted. First, you would go with Lester over Minor? Care to discuss why? Also, Hawkins at $3 seems like a no brainer, especially since it sounds like he'll close. Don't agree?
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team

Postby MaudDib » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:31 am

Brainstorm wrote:These are 2014 prices. Free agents are $3 to keep. And to be honest, I'm not really sure as this is only the 2nd year of it being an auction league and last year was more of a transition season so people had money to spend and overspent like crazy.

Maud, I was surprised about 2 things you posted. First, you would go with Lester over Minor? Care to discuss why? Also, Hawkins at $3 seems like a no brainer, especially since it sounds like he'll close. Don't agree?

Minor was one I thought about but again just don't know what his value will be going into the season. Probably should be kept as well know that I have thought a little more about it. I trust Lester more than Minor, which is why I took him at first glance.

Hawkins might get it the closer role but I don't like it. Brothers is pretty darn good and showed last year that he should be the guy. Too early to be deciding on those kind of things. I would want to wait until spring training and have something a little more locked down.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:03 am

I also like Venable at minimal cost. Sleeper alert here. FYI.
1 1b Prince Fielder 26
2 2b Robby Cano 23
3 SSTroy Tulowitzki-28
4 3b E5 20
5 OF Adam Jones-25
6 Will Venable-3
7 Cliff Lee-25
8 Max Scherzer-19
9 Jon Lester-15
10 Mike Minor-15
11 Michael Wacha-3
12 Kenley Jansen-7
13 LaTroy Hawkins-3

$260 cap (total 231 with 29 bucks for 10 players - you can get 1 buck OF like Rajai Davis, Nate Schierholz, BJ Upton even, Nick Markakis, Nate McLouth etc...catcher options: guys like Jason Castro, Wilson Ramos can be had for a min bid. To help you wtih speed and to fill out your team)
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1953)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:03 am

I also like Venable at minimal cost. Sleeper alert here. FYI.
1 1b Prince Fielder 26
2 2b Robby Cano 23
3 SSTroy Tulowitzki-28
4 3b E5 20
5 OF Adam Jones-25
6 Will Venable-3
7 Cliff Lee-25
8 Max Scherzer-19
9 Jon Lester-15
10 Mike Minor-15
11 Michael Wacha-3
12 Kenley Jansen-7
13 LaTroy Hawkins-3

$260 cap (total 231 with 29 bucks for 10 players - you can get 1 buck OF like Rajai Davis, Nate Schierholz, BJ Upton even, Nick Markakis, Nate McLouth etc...catcher options: guys like Jason Castro, Wilson Ramos can be had for a min bid. To help you wtih speed and to fill out your team)
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1953)

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:06 am

Brainstorm wrote:Out of the loop a bit in baseball, but time to get rolling again. 12-team keeper league, $260 cap, 23 man roster and unlimited keepers. Price goes up $5 per year per player to keep.

I'm in a bit of a rough spot, because while I have some decent players, they take up a decent amount of cash and leave me with not much for next year's draft. Here's my roster and prices below:

Troy Tulowitzki-28 ;-D
Prince Fielder-26 ;-D
Adam Jones-25 ;-D
Yadier Molina-23
Robinson Canó-23 ;-D
Matt Kemp-22
Edwin Encarnación-20 ;-D
Yoenis Céspedes-19
Shane Victorino-12 ;-D
Coco Crisp-3 ;-D
Eric Young-3
Will Venable-3
Cliff Lee-25 ;-D
Yovani Gallardo-24
Joe Nathan-23
Max Scherzer-19 ;-D
Jon Lester-15
Mike Minor-15
Kenley Jansen-7 ;-D
Kevin Gregg-3
LaTroy Hawkins-3
Jhoulys Chacin-3
Michael Wacha-3 ;-D

My initial thoughts are just to keep the best guys and then take the cheap route in the draft, meaning keep:

Tulo
Fielder
Jones
Cano
Kemp
Encarnacion
Cespedes
Young
Lee
Scherzer
Minor
Jansen
Hawkins
Wacha

But doing so leaves me with $22 for 9 players, so I don't think that's the best route. Who would you guys keep? Who would you try to trade? I feel like Lee, Kemp and Cespedes are my best trade candidates, but are also the 3 that bring me the least value because of their cost.

WHIR

I have a total of 11 players for $191. this leaves you $70 bucks for 12 guys. My first initial thought when reading this post is Where is the love for crisp??? This guy is coming off of a 20/20 season, is $3 bucks and there is no love????...I totally don't expect another 20/20 but for $3 bucks, come on sign me up all day for that. Then I really like victorino this season, with ells moving to the Yanks Victorino now moves to the leadoff spot witch can only improve this guys value. And when Kemp or Cespedes are the prices they are, look at crisp and victorino $15 bucks for both. and I gaurentee that both combined will out produce any one of kemp and cespedes and for cheaper....This will free up some $$$ for the draft. Good Luck
And even if you add Hawkins and Young to the mix you will have spent $197 for 13....this really gives you a great starting point and enough $$$ to fill in your last spots on your roster.... ;-D
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Brainstorm » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Appreciate the help so far guys. I'm surprised about the lack of love for Cespedes. Is it the cost? Or do you guys think the talent isn't there with him?

On a side note, at this point I wish I hadn't dropped Khris Davis in the last 2 weeks of the year. I finished 2nd and having that roster flexibility at the end sure helped, but that would've been a nice $3 keeper next year :(

Also talking with an owner about a trade involving Kemp for a $6 Wil Myers. I think it would be a dynamite move for me obviously, but he does want a little more to take on the Kemp risk. Will keep you updated.

Thanks for the help, enjoy the rest of the holiday!
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions