Defense in Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Defense in Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Defense in Fantasy Baseball

Postby JasonisFreng » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:10 am

I have often pondered the thought of a league based around a player's defensive stats or at least having that be a contributing factor. What is the cafe's thoughts on this? I tooled with the idea of a 5x5x5 H2H League with Errors, Fielding percentage, Double plays, Outfield Assists, and Put Outs. Do you all have any experience with that? And who becomes your first overall pick? Andrew McCutchen?
"Going going back back" -Notorious BIG
JasonisFreng
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Defense in Fantasy Baseball

Postby GRIN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:05 pm

JasonisFreng wrote:I have often pondered the thought of a league based around a player's defensive stats or at least having that be a contributing factor. What is the cafe's thoughts on this? I tooled with the idea of a 5x5x5 H2H League with Errors, Fielding percentage, Double plays, Outfield Assists, and Put Outs. Do you all have any experience with that? And who becomes your first overall pick? Andrew McCutchen?

When playing fantasy sports, and in designing league configurations, I like to simulate the real thing as much as feasibly and practically possible. That includes incorporating defense. A constraint is using Yahoo (which is absolutely fine) rather than a more baseball focused software. This is because I also play fantasy basketball and hockey and I don`t want to use different systems.

A few years ago I used a SABR article
http://research.sabr.org/journals/pitching-defesnse
to estimate how many of my categories should be defense-related. Based on the results of the SABR research I concluded that, on average, success in baseball could be attributed approximately 45% to each of pitching and offense, and 10% to fielding. So I try to allocate about 10% of my categories to defense.

The tricky part is which ones. The platform I use limits me somewhat but in a 16 category league I have 7 hitting categories, 7 pitching categories and 2 fielding categories. So I use Assists and Errors. Far from ideal but at least it somewhat approximates range and errors.

Not sure who your first pick would be but my configuration increases the value of good fielding middle infielders. I wish I could incorporate good fielding outfielders but adding Putouts would skew the value of first basemen.

I`ll continue to use my system until something better comes along.
Good luck!
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)

Re: Defense in Fantasy Baseball

Postby RedTiger » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I think it is too hard to incorporate defense into fantasy baseball. If you really want it, I would recommend OOTP sim leagues. That's the closest you can get to being a GM and evaluating players are not just basic offensive categories
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 30)

Return to Commissioner's Corner