Yankees about to acquire Ellsbury - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees about to acquire Ellsbury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yankees about to acquire Ellsbury

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:35 am

bigh0rt wrote:help. im a Mets fan.

I think theres an 800 number for that ..

That's why its so much fun to poke Met's fan with a stick. All the resources of the world right at their doorstep, and every season they ###k it up.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby soxfan364 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Yes but now Grandy's a Met... look out!
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby kab21 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:41 pm

soxfan364 wrote:Yes but now Grandy's a Met... look out!

Grandy is going to fall off of a cliff statistically before year 3. He might outperform Bay though.

Ellsbury will likely be viewed as that guy who is grossly overpaid and becomes underrated to some degree because of it. I think he will be a solid player until the very end (last 1-2 yrs) of the contract. Of course they are paying him to be a star.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby TheTrith » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Im just wondering what other offers Ellsbury had on the table. Regardless off any non-effect the signing has on NY's bottom line, how much more did they pay than thye actually needed to?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 287)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:56 pm

For those who were speculating re: Ellsbury & Beltran, reading that Shin-Soon Choo reportedly turned down a 7-year, $140 million offer from the Yankees. I don't know if I want to live in a world where Shin-Soo Choo gets to turn down $140 million.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:For those who were speculating re: Ellsbury & Beltran, reading that Shin-Soon Choo reportedly turned down a 7-year, $140 million offer from the Yankees. I don't know if I want to live in a world where Shin-Soo Choo gets to turn down $140 million.

The Scott Boras world. :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:For those who were speculating re: Ellsbury & Beltran, reading that Shin-Soon Choo reportedly turned down a 7-year, $140 million offer from the Yankees. I don't know if I want to live in a world where Shin-Soo Choo gets to turn down $140 million.

Ellsbury, Beltran and Choo.

please fix baseball.
it be broken.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hot4tx » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Personally I don't know if $153 for 7 years of Ells is overpaying. "Filler" guys normally get $5-$10 million per for short term deals, so if you think a guy is a true difference maker it seems worth it to sign him for 2 to 4 times filler guy money. Heck the Rangers paid Berkman $15 million last year on the chance that for the 1/4 to 1/2 season he played he'd be healthy enough to give them something. Seems like it's better to skip the $5-$10 players and surround a bunch of stars with rookies and platoon types who provide good defense and hit at the bottom of the order anyway.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:57 pm

hot4tx wrote:Seems like it's better to skip the $5-$10 players and surround a bunch of old stars with rookies and platoon types who provide meh defense and hit at the bottom of the order anyway.

The Mets!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:16 pm

hot4tx wrote:Personally I don't know if $153 for 7 years of Ells is overpaying. "Filler" guys normally get $5-$10 million per for short term deals, so if you think a guy is a true difference maker it seems worth it to sign him for 2 to 4 times filler guy money. Heck the Rangers paid Berkman $15 million last year on the chance that for the 1/4 to 1/2 season he played he'd be healthy enough to give them something. Seems like it's better to skip the $5-$10 players and surround a bunch of stars with rookies and platoon types who provide good defense and hit at the bottom of the order anyway.

that should be the goal of any team's farm system. I think teams would love to have a bunch of guys to call up and play halfway decently. The problem is that if you depend on this route then you will end up with several of these guys that just completely flop every season. there's a reason that there is a market for those 5-10M/yr types.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers