Yankees about to acquire Ellsbury - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees about to acquire Ellsbury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees about to acquire Ellsbury

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 pm

As a Yankee fan I just don't know what to say. 7 years and 153 million to repeat 2011 a few more times?
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Re: Yankees about to acquire Ellsbury

Postby colt4523 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 am

Y`s Guy wrote:As a Yankee fan I just don't know what to say. 7 years and 153 million to repeat 2011 a few more times?

Here, I will help you.

WTF are they thinking!! They don't budge on Cano and then go an sign Ells for 20 mil less than what they offered Cano!? Absolutely horrible deal. If they don't sign Cano, the front office should be shot.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby legoshoe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:28 am

I bet they still get Cano. Compared to other teams, the Yanks coming into this offseason were relatively "light" in long term commitments, thus is why we have seen them open up again on these deals.

People will overpay on draftday now for Ellsbury IMO.
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:33 pm

If they let Cano walk after this then they're insane, and I haven't been an advocate of giving Cano over $200 million. This Ellsbury contract is ludicrous but the Yankees play by different rules than everyone else. If this doesn't affect their pursuit of guys like Cano, Tanaka, Kuroda, etc. then I don't have a huge problem with it, although I have no idea why they preferred Ellsbury over Choo. Much would've rather had Choo in LF than to have basically two of the same player in Ellsbury and Gardner in the OF.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:56 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:If they let Cano walk after this then they're insane, and I haven't been an advocate of giving Cano over $200 million. This Ellsbury contract is ludicrous but the Yankees play by different rules than everyone else. If this doesn't affect their pursuit of guys like Cano, Tanaka, Kuroda, etc. then I don't have a huge problem with it, although I have no idea why they preferred Ellsbury over Choo. Much would've rather had Choo in LF than to have basically two of the same player in Ellsbury and Gardner in the OF.

This seems to be something that people have conveniently forgotten over the last several years, it appears. I've been trying to have this conversation both with people via the internet and friends, as a New Yorker. Here's my thoughts on the deal, which by no means do I think will play any role in whether or not they sign Cano. Them signing Ellsbury to this deal is going to have no bearing on whether or not they sign Cano. There's not a ceiling on the money, even if they claim that is the reason they ultimately don't sign him, if that's what transpires. If you think there's a cap on what they're willing to spend, you don't know enough about the Yankees.

Anyway, my thought, putting myself into the perspective of a Yankee fan, is this: If you're the Yankees, and money means nothing, then you go ahead and sign this guy. It's really that simple. Yes, teams are struggling to get out of these albatross deals, but those teams aren't the Yankees and typically care more about their payroll and spending than the Yankees do. So, if I'm a Yankee fan, I'm happy with the signing. 3 - 4 years from now it may be miserable, but if you can win a World Series between now and then, you don't care. Most of us can't put ourselves in that seat, because we aren't used to hoisting World Series trophies at that clip. But really, there's very few things the Mets could do that I wouldn't forgive if they'd win just 1 World Series, so I can somewhat put myself in those shoes...

You're in Gotham, you charge $300 a ticket to go to a ballgame, so you better put an A+ product on the field. If I'm a fan of the Yankees, I'm thrilled. A more objective approach and analysis of the probability of earning the $, etc. etc. etc. is going to shed a much less favorable light on this. But really, that's the case with every big contract that's been signed in the last decade, just about. What it boils down to is it's not the Mariners or the Rangers or almost literally any other team besides the Yankees handing out this deal, where it should be put under a bigger scope. The Yankees will spend and spend and spend, and they don't care, and as a Mets fan I'm super jealous of that characteristic of them. They do whatever possible to put the best product on the field, which as a fan you have to be in love with. Jacoby should approach or surpass 30 HR in that launchpad, and be able to simulate his 2011 season for the next 3 or so years, I would imagine. Yeah, he may be earning half his contract come as soon as 2017, but as a fan, I don't care. Win. Make me happy to root for the team. You're the Yankees. You don't need to rebuild. You reload. If you're another team, this Ellsbury deal might limit what you can sign over the next few years. But you aren't another team. You're the Yankees. You're going to sign whoever you want and is willing to play there. It's Monopoly money. Anyone doing a fiscal breakdown of this deal has ignored that piece of it.

This contract for this player is entirely different for the Yankees than it would have been for the Red Sox (whose fan base seems thrilled that they didn't shell out this much to keep him). Even though they both have tremendous money to spend, the Yankees are, have been, and will continue to be in a different stratosphere as far as their willingness to spend and spend with reckless abandon in an effort to win. The Red Sox, while spending a ton, still try to practice some sort of fiscal responsibility (it would seem), especially after A-Gonz and Crawford. Had the two aforementioned been with the Yankees, you'd still see no more gun shyness from them, the way you're seeing it from Boston. They're in the biggest market in the league, and they're loyal to their fans, and I respect the hell out of it. Again, as a Mets fan it makes me insanely jealous that I have to root for a team in the same largest market in the United States, pay an arm and a leg to watch them lose 90 games a year, and listen to them preach fiscal responsibility to me. Drives me up a wall. Let the Royals be fiscally responsible. Let the Twins and the A's and the other teams in mid-major markets who don't collectively combine to equal that of New York. You're in New York. The effin Big Apple. There isn't a single good sports team in the city right now, and there's almost a dozen to choose from! Spend a billion dollars and put forth a product that I'm happy to watch. It may be the spoiled kid mentality, but when you have no spending limit, and your owners are billionaires, then they owe it to me to produce something worth watching. I don't care if they lose $100 million every year. Not my problem. Spend every penny on making it enjoyable for me as a fan to watch the team play. It's not my job to worry about the finances of my team, especially when no matter what they do, they will never be in financial straights the way every other single team in the league would be, just about.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Yankees or not that is an overpay IMO. Are they still trying to get under the luxury tax?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby colt4523 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Yankees or not that is an overpay IMO. Are they still trying to get under the luxury tax?

I don't see how they can now. They still need a 3b, 2b, 2 sps, and some bullpen help.

This contract makes absolutely no sense. The yanks had at least 4 alternatives that they probably could have signed for less years and less dollars. The organization has spent the last 2 years stating they are going under the 189 cap then go ahead and give an upgraded Gardner almost the same offer they gave Cano. I cannot wrap my mind around how horrible this is. Plenty of options in the OF maybe 1 or 2 at second. The only way this deal helps us if we still sign Cano and right now it is looking he is heading to Seattle.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I agree with Hort's post in it's entirety. As fans we often put a couple of other teams on the same level as the Yankee's when it comes to spending. They can print all the money they need so it is a deal that they can make and really still not affect whether they can still get other positions filled.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 467)

Postby kellythemick » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:33 am

BigLebowski wrote:I agree with Hort's post in it's entirety. As fans we often put a couple of other teams on the same level as the Yankee's when it comes to spending. They can print all the money they need so it is a deal that they can make and really still not affect whether they can still get other positions filled.

+1
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 am

kellythemick wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:I agree with Hort's post in it's entirety. As fans we often put a couple of other teams on the same level as the Yankee's when it comes to spending. They can print all the money they need so it is a deal that they can make and really still not affect whether they can still get other positions filled.

+1

agreed.
Ellsbury could go on the seven year DL, and this wouldn't effect the Yankees bottom line at all.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers