Rios for Rosenthal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rios for Rosenthal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rios for Rosenthal?

Postby Philly_05 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:12 pm

I was interested in Rosenthal for awhile but he wouldn't move him in hopes that he would start. But now that he's going to be the closer he's willing to deal him. Should I take the 1 for 1 or ask for more? I have been trying to get a prospect or a pick out of him with no success to this point.

H2H 12 Team Category scoring
Batting - AVG, R, SB, HR, RBI, OPS, H, K
Pitching - ERA, WHIP, K, W, SV, QS, HD, BB

We get to keep 9 players each off season plus a minor league system. These are my potential keepers on roster.

C- Buster Posey
1B- Paul Goldschmidt
2B- Jose Altuve
SS- Jose Reyes
1B- Prince Fielder
OF- Alex Rios
OF- Carlos Beltran
OF- Jose Bautista
SP- Cole Hamels
SP- Adam Wainwright
SP- Justin Verlander
SP- Matt Moore
SP- Jordan Zimmerman
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 632)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rios for Rosenthal?

Postby fast dogs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:23 pm

unless there is some unlisted info I would not make this trade
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Philly_05 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

No, just really don't like Rios not going to keeper him. So I figured I would get a young arm that I really like in Rosenthal.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby kidsilk » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:48 pm

I think I would do it especially if you are not going to keep Rios.
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1232)

Postby Element » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Philly_05 wrote:No, just really don't like Rios not going to keeper him. So I figured I would get a young arm that I really like in Rosenthal.

Out of curiosity, what is it about Rios that you don't like? 20/20 players don't grow on trees anymore. Especially ones that post strong contact skills. I could not imagine myself moving him for any closer.They are just too easy to come by. I would reconsider keeping Rios.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Well looking over my options in all seriousness I wouldn't have kept him. Goldschmidt, Poesy, Prince, Reyes, Bautista, Verlander, Wainwright, Moore are all guys I would easily keep over him. Then you get to Hamels and Zimmerman as a possible 9th keeper. But I think I can find good 4th and 5th SP options in the draft. Rosenthal is a guy I really like. So maybe I favor him a little more than some. But having control of a young stud closer is fine in my book. I know many refuse to keeper closers. But I think he's worth it even more so if they give him the chance to start. Which he seems like he still wants to do. I think I struck at the perfect time. The other owner wanted him as a starter so he refused to talk about him at all. News comes out about closing and he's available then. Keepers can always change, It's really early so I could see moving someone like Reyes or Bautista if I get a good enough offer.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby MaudDib » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Philly_05 wrote:Well looking over my options in all seriousness I wouldn't have kept him. Goldschmidt, Poesy, Prince, Reyes, Bautista, Verlander, Wainwright, Moore are all guys I would easily keep over him. Then you get to Hamels and Zimmerman as a possible 9th keeper. But I think I can find good 4th and 5th SP options in the draft. Rosenthal is a guy I really like. So maybe I favor him a little more than some. But having control of a young stud closer is fine in my book. I know many refuse to keeper closers. But I think he's worth it even more so if they give him the chance to start. Which he seems like he still wants to do. I think I struck at the perfect time. The other owner wanted him as a starter so he refused to talk about him at all. News comes out about closing and he's available then. Keepers can always change, It's really early so I could see moving someone like Reyes or Bautista if I get a good enough offer.

I think I am with you on this and I would do the deal. A little risky but that is what can be fun about fantasy sports. Rios is solid but he has also had his bad years so not a guarantee to continue being a 20/20 guy or close to it plus he is on the wrong side of 30 and there will be an expect fall off in the near future. Rosenthal is a wild card. Maybe he closes, maybe Motte comes back strong and they move Rosenthal into a starting spot or maybe he winds up back into the 7th or 8th inning. I think long term they are going to try him as a starter and I think he is worth gambling on in case he turns into something special.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby MrT » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:16 am

Which Rios shows up in 2014. Rosenthal will have over 100 strike outs and good rations. he will be a solid closer. I like him better.
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 49)

Postby Brainstorm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 pm

I don't know if I do this deal only because I don't see where you keep 9 and Rosenthal would be on that list. I would prefer you kept Rios, especially considering its a H2H league so you don't really need to chase saves at all.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 pm

C- Buster Posey
1B- Paul Goldschmidt
2B- Jose Altuve
SS- Jose Reyes
CI - Prince Fielder
OF- Jose Bautista
SP- Cole Hamels
SP- Adam Wainwright
SP- Justin Verlander
SP- Matt Moore
SP- Jordan Zimmerman
RP- Trevor Rosenthal

So your new list looks like this? I would try to move Verlander for a stud 3b. Go go go.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1920)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions