How long should a keeper league be$ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How long should a keeper league be$

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I prefer a:

Keeper league that never ends.
83%
Keeper league that drafts from scratch every 3 years.
No votes
Keeper league that drafts from scratch every 5 years.
17%
Keeper league that drafts from scratch every 7 years.
No votes

Total votes : 12

How long should a keeper league be$

Postby metfan10314 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Fantasy Sports R Us, FSRU, is the largest public keeper league site. They run 5 year keeper leagues. Thier point being that is difficult for anyone to commit to do something "forever." and over time, certain teams simply lose competitiveness. The question is....Do you prefer a keeper league that has an end and never drafts from scratch after the first year, or one that has a closing date and becomes a new league at some point. If you answer #2, do you have an opinion on the number of years it should be.
metfan10314
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How long should a keeper league be$

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Depends on the owners. If it is everyone's first time doing a keeper league I think setting a limit on the number of years is a really good idea.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:39 pm

It doesn't matter, most keeper leagues die by the sword of inequality the speed of which is determined by the inability of lower ranked teams to improve from their abysmal trades and drafts.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby kcbrett5 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:50 am

We have an ongoing keeper league. Although we use contracts that are a max 3 years with none of them guaranteed. We have up to 12 keepers per year. This doesn't give owners the chance to have a dynasty.
kcbrett5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Location: Stepping up to the plate, 2 out bases loaded, down by 3, right where i want to be.

Postby JasonisFreng » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:58 am

From my experience, if one owner wins just two years in a row, interest drops as lower teams feel completely out of it. Really, I think a redraft every year is the fairest and most inviting to parody which is what makes sports interesting isn't it? No one likes the Yankees when they win every year, but when Appalachian State beats Michigan, there's something. ;-)
"Going going back back" -Notorious BIG
JasonisFreng
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 83)

Postby thatguysound » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:23 am

You have to keep tabs on the other managers. My league has been going on for 12 years with no keeper time limits, because people liked the idea of controlling a player for a long time like an actual team. But we have come up with other rules to help maintain some equality and give eceryone a chance each year.

- draft order is determined primarily by the total strength or weakness of your keepers, ehere the weakest keepers get the higher draft positions. Ties are broken by finish order to reward managers eho made the most of what they had. The team who finished in fourth place with elvis andrus, jason heyward, and panda sandoval as their best keepers did a better job managing than the guy who kept Miggy, Trout, and Kershaw and finished second.

- we switched to a H2H league two years ago, which definitely keeps interest up, since anyone can get hot at the right time.

- we are thinking of switching to an auction draft where teams get a discount on their keeper players instead of a flat out keeper. So it gives the other teams a chance to bid on and possibly land a player who would otherwise have been kept if they are willing to overpay by enough that the original owner decides to let them go.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby MoHead » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:01 pm

It depends entirely on the keeper system. If it's a redraft and everyone just gets to keep X number of their best guys, the rich stay rich, the poor stay poor and the system probably fails.

I've been running my league for 14 years and it's been a keeper since 2005. We've never "reset" but we did tweak the rules a lot in the early years based on trial and error to find a fair system. We use a salary cap and auction. There are no contracts, but players accrue service time on a roster. Salaries for keepers are recalculated each year based on their previous salary and projected salary for the upcoming year. So Mike Trout was $1 in 2012, but shot up to $40 in 2013; still less than he'd have gone for at auction. So you can keep whoever you want under a certain dollar limit, but you don't get to horde a guy like Trout forever at no cost. When the player reaches three years of service time, you have to use a "franchise tag" to keep the guy, usually at an inflated salary. Complicated? You bet. Takes a lot of commissioner management in the offseason. But the league loves it and stays very competitive. The system forces a number high end players into the auction each year, and rewards those who find value players more than those who have superstars. We've had three new owners come in over the last few years and turn neglected bottom feeder teams into contenders in only a year or two with smart management.

Our first system revolved around contracts and was a complete failure as we ended up with a few super teams and a few teams that had no prayer to compete. So it's pretty cool when a good keeper system works, but yeah, the first keeper system almost destroyed the league.
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm

kcbrett5 wrote:We have an ongoing keeper league. Although we use contracts that are a max 3 years with none of them guaranteed. We have up to 12 keepers per year. This doesn't give owners the chance to have a dynasty.

This is a good format to use.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby rosco101663 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:10 pm

I think we'll always have owners who bail out on keeper leagues when their teams suck...
The best system I've found is this:
Original draft year, Keep only 3 players the second season, 5 the third season, 7 the fourth and complete redraft at the start of the next year.
Also, Team that finishes last should get 1st draft pick from the unprotected players, 2nd to last gets 2nd pick, etc.
We let the champ play free the next season and 2nd place pays half price- as part of the prize.
We also arrange our divisions each season- last place teams in one division, middle teams in one division and top teams in another division.

Seems to work pretty well so far, but again...I think you'll always have guys who bail.
Dan
rosco101663
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Return to Commissioner's Corner