Mauer to 1B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer to 1B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mauer to 1B

Postby ensanimal » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:10 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/415096/joe-mauer-will-move-to-first-base-next-year

Last year with C elig. Takes a hit moving forward in keeper/dynasty leagues.

As a 1B only where does he slide into the rankings? Cuddyer area?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mauer to 1B

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Assuming the move means he can play a full season.
90 R, 90 RBI, 15 HR, 0 SB, and .320 BA

I'd put him right around AGon for 1B only.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby legoshoe » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Cuddyer is a fair comparison. I'm already trying to "buy the news" in my dynasty to get the owner to sell low and trade from my stash of young C eligible players. ;-D
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 am

Tough to try and balance the hit he takes in losing premier eligibility versus the potential gain in health/production in not catching 75+ Games a Year. I think this may be a case where Mauer gains value in his overall numbers, and has A-Gonz potential as a pure 1B, with an expected value in the Cuddyer range, as was already mentioned (both were -- both look to be excellent comparisons at first glance). What's nice is we'll get a year grace period to see what he can do playing 1B/DH all year while still having the C eligibility before we really have to gauge his value in 2015. 2014 could be a nice value year for him as he retains the eligibility without having to endure the rigor of catching.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby jeffmerk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 pm

His concussion issues won't disappear completely and a pitch to the helmet or a basepath collision could still put him out for a significant period of time.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 81)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 am

jeffmerk wrote:His concussion issues won't disappear completely and a pitch to the helmet or a basepath collision could still put him out for a significant period of time.

No more so than any other player who gets hit in the head with a pitch or has a base path collision that results in a blow to the head.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 am

bigh0rt wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:His concussion issues won't disappear completely and a pitch to the helmet or a basepath collision could still put him out for a significant period of time.

No more so than any other player who gets hit in the head with a pitch or has a base path collision that results in a blow to the head.

I thought that anyone with previous concussion(s) was at greater risk for concussions going forward.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

I thought that anyone with previous concussion(s) was at greater risk for concussions going forward.

I think that anybody getting plunked in the head with a baseball stands a pretty good risk at being concussed. Maybe I'm wrong and Mauer actually does have greater risk, but I'm just thinking in the two instances given, where you're talking about a pretty good collision to the skull, either via ball or other professional athlete, in all likelihood I would think that anybody being a participant there has good risk. By greater risk, does that mean it takes less of an impact to cause concussion? That the symptoms of PCS, etc. last longer? I don't really know much about it, honestly.

With Mauer, I imagine you'd likely see the team proceed with greater caution, holding him out longer, etc. due to his history, if it were to occur. I could see that being the difference. I wouldn't weigh that all too heavily when projecting fantasy ranking pre-season, though. Again, I can't remember the last time I owned Mauer or paid too much attention to him, so maybe I'm unintentionally downplaying his history of head trauma.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jeffmerk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:00 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:No more so than any other player who gets hit in the head with a pitch or has a base path collision that results in a blow to the head.

I think that anybody getting plunked in the head with a baseball stands a pretty good risk at being concussed. Maybe I'm wrong and Mauer actually does have greater risk, but I'm just thinking in the two instances given, where you're talking about a pretty good collision to the skull, either via ball or other professional athlete, in all likelihood I would think that anybody being a participant there has good risk. By greater risk, does that mean it takes less of an impact to cause concussion? That the symptoms of PCS, etc. last longer? I don't really know much about it, honestly.

With Mauer, I imagine you'd likely see the team proceed with greater caution, holding him out longer, etc. due to his history, if it were to occur. I could see that being the difference. I wouldn't weigh that all too heavily when projecting fantasy ranking pre-season, though. Again, I can't remember the last time I owned Mauer or paid too much attention to him, so maybe I'm unintentionally downplaying his history of head trauma.

He's moving to 1B BECAUSE of his history of head trauma.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 81)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 pm

jeffmerk wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I thought that anyone with previous concussion(s) was at greater risk for concussions going forward.

He's moving to 1B BECAUSE of his history of head trauma.

Yes. Removing the likelihood of a player being involved in a collision at the plate seems like a pretty wise move. Mauer can, to a large degree, make sure that he doesn't collide with a catcher as a base runner, but when he's the meat being plowed into by a potential scorer, that's a risk you want to avoid with any franchise player, never mind one who has already endured head trauma. This goes right along with what I said about having the team proceed with greater caution (though I specifically mentioned the caveat of 'if it were to occur again'). What was being discussed, and I'm still uncertain of, is whether having already suffered from concussions leaves you more prone to suffering one in the future, given similar impact on the head. And also that collisions with other players and baseballs to the head are, in my mind, likely to cause concussion whether you've had one previously or not.

The guy is signed for 5 more years with the team. They're trying to get some sort of ROI. I don't see how that ties into what I said.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers