100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Timmy 2 yrs $35 million

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Timmy 2 yrs $35 million

Postby dmojr » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:59 am

kellythemick wrote:
Joe Mauer wrote:
kab21 wrote:His ERA has been bad the last 2 years but his numbers in 2013 were quite good (not Cy Timmy good) aside from an unlucky HR/FB% and LOB%.

Still....$17.5 Mil. per? He wouldn't have gotten that on the open market. Overspend by the Giants for the past successes of ol' Timmy.

I wouldn't have minded at all if the Mariners had given him that much (Spoken as a Mariners fan who has often cried over their signings).

I was interested in a possible Mariner/Lincecum deal, but it would have been tough with our payroll to come anywhere close to that AAV. 2 years makes it "fine" but it's some heavy money.
dmojr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 44)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mac-unit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:42 am

He would've gotten $35 million on the open market, just over 4 years. They can see if he can some how get back to his old form. If not, he's off the books in 2 years. The problem with all of these recent huge contracts are the years, not the money.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:46 am

mac-unit wrote:He would've gotten $35 million on the open market, just over 4 years. They can see if he can some how get back to his old form. If not, he's off the books in 2 years. The problem with all of these recent huge contracts are the years, not the money.

$35 million over 4 years is a much less greater hit than $35 over 2 as well, though. If you're stuck with Timmy at $8.75 million per year, you can stomach a lot more than paying the guy $17.5 million per year even over a short 2 years. If I'm gonna pay $35 million to a guy to see if he can get back to his old form, I'd rather have him on a 4 year deal where his annual salary is at least potentially movable in the latter stages. To me, this is just a great deal by Lincecum's agent, to give him a short window to put up numbers more Lincecum-like of old, and to cash in on another big payday 2 years from now.

The problem is 2-fold with the huge contracts. Yes, they're entirely too long, but the ultimate issue is the money per year that the guys are getting over that stretch. They're getting peak money every year including five years after expected peak production. I actually think that this deal is one where it was beneficial for the player to take a shorter deal (really, this deal is just a huge win for Lincecum on all fronts) because it sets up a potentially longer big payday if he rebounds.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 349)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers