MLB.com blackout restrictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB.com blackout restrictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB.com blackout restrictions

Postby Izenhart » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:54 pm

So I saw the postseason coverage is available to watch on MLB.com for only 5 bucks. It said all games will be covered live, yet it is now telling me after paying the $5 that the games are blacked out to all US citizens and archived games will be available to watch 90 minutes after the games conclusion. This is horrible how can MLB do this to the paying customers. I feel like I've just been scammed. Anyone have some insight as to why this is done and if I'll be able to watch any games live or did I just lose 5 bucks? I won't be returning as a customer next year and I'll be writing MLB a short letter explaining why.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 295)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB.com blackout restrictions

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:21 am

It probably mentioned blackouts in the fine print. Since MLB wants to make it a pain in the ass to pay for playoff coverage, I won't bother trying. I guess to them, giving exclusivity to the TV networks is worth the cost of losing customers online. Not my problem, it's actually easier to find an illegal stream than it is to pay for one with all the restrictions anyway, which seems to be impossible.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Re: MLB.com blackout restrictions

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 am

Izenhart wrote:So I saw the postseason coverage is available to watch on MLB.com for only 5 bucks. It said all games will be covered live, yet it is now telling me after paying the $5 that the games are blacked out to all US citizens and archived games will be available to watch 90 minutes after the games conclusion. This is horrible how can MLB do this to the paying customers. I feel like I've just been scammed. Anyone have some insight as to why this is done and if I'll be able to watch any games live or did I just lose 5 bucks? I won't be returning as a customer next year and I'll be writing MLB a short letter explaining why.

Any games that are nationally televised, or are televised in your region are blacked out on mlb.tv. That's how it's always been because of contracts with cable companies. The postseason coverage is so that people outside of the US can pay to watch the games. It's pretty scummy not to make that incredibly evident, but I'm positive there was an asterisk somewhere that said "Blackout restrictions apply". It's possible they'd refund you if you e-mailed them and asked.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Return to Baseball Leftovers