Play to debut '14, need basic advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Play to debut '14, need basic advice

Play to debut '14, need basic advice

Postby itsjustafantasywoaah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:21 pm

That's PLAN to debut in '14, btw. Very experienced in fantasy football both standard and IDP but have yet to play baseball. A few questions: is an every-day league better/more respectable & legit than an every-week one? Are 20 teams for a dynasty 'too much'? What IS a standard amount teams and roster size (how many at each position) for a dynasty? Are there leagues where half is AL (DH) and the other half NL with interleague play (AL or NL rules determined by what team is 'home')? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pre-newbie.
itsjustafantasywoaah
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Play to debut '14, need basic advice

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 pm

10 12 and 14 team leagues are the most common; most of those use a corner and a middle infielder as well as 4 or 5 OF. Daily leagues take alot of time and effort, that also opens up streaming of SP which is the #1 complaint involved with leagues. Limiting the # of moves for the week or year can help eliminate that and make league more "respectable". There are AL & NL only leagues, but not much half and half you refer to
Fantasy baseball has hundreds of different formats and sizes; theres no right or wrong number. I'd suggest starting out with less than 20 teams but if you have 20 owners theres nothing wrong with that either.
Having a great set of leagues rules in place and finding quality owners are so important to a new league. Weaker owners will get exposed so will rules with loopholes; hopefully that gets you started
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Re: Play to debut '14, need basic advice

Postby itsjustafantasywoaah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks for the response, fast! Definitely a great start! Anything more you or anyone else can add would be great as well; more the merrier. Question...what's a 'corner' or 'middle' infielder and why 4-5 OFs? What happens in a weekly league if one of your starters gets injured or benched right off the bat? Guess you have to wait til the next week to readjust your lineup. I'm the type who likes to run my own league with my own rules but very obviously the first couple seasons at least I would have to simply be an owner in an already established, credible league before doing it on my own as well. And, no, a daily league won't be for me. Way too much of a commitment whether you're simply an owner and especially that of an LM. It is a shame there aren't really any sites that can make things 'half and half'. When it comes to non-fantasy baseball (JMO of course), I feel what makes the game what it is, is the very texture of one league being DH and the other no-DH so why not have a (double) league in fantasy that does things the same? Have a decent amount of interleague play, whoever's home plays by the home team's rules, and in a 'World Series', simply alternate things - one year one league gets 'home-field' in the 'Series', and the other year, the opposite. What are basic examples of playoff setups anyway? Are they best-of series? If so, obviously not 7-game-series, I guess (too long, regular season would have to end too soon).
itsjustafantasywoaah
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Beginner's Forum