TB vs TEX - Is the fantasy season over? (CBS leagues) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TB vs TEX - Is the fantasy season over? (CBS leagues)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

TB vs TEX - Is the fantasy season over? (CBS leagues)

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 am

When I click on team rosters in my CBS leagues it's acting like tonight's game is going to count. Someone in my league is saying MLB's determination that tonight is an extension of the regular season.

I know that Yahoo! says their season is over.

Anyone have any insight on any of this?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TB vs TEX - Is the fantasy season over? (CBS leagues)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:04 pm

cbssports wrote:If there is a play-in game for the MLB playoffs, will stats from that game be included in my fantasy league?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free or Premium Leagues:
Stats from playoff play-in games WILL NOT be counted in any of our free or premium Fantasy Baseball leagues.

Commissioner Leagues:
Stats from playoff play-in games WILL be counted in all of our commissioner Fantasy Baseball leagues

I checked CBS fantasy sports help section and it looks like it depends on what kind of league you have.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Element » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:11 pm

It counts in my CBS league (we pay). I am tied for 2nd & have no one playing today. He has David Price and needs 6 K to pass someone. :-P
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Element » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Element wrote:It counts in my CBS league (we pay). I am tied for 2nd & have no one playing today. He has David Price and needs 6 K to pass someone. :-P

Price didn't get his K's! .... but an Andrus steal drops me a 0.5 point and a Longo homer helped 4th place into a 3rd place tie. WTF! So I went from splitting 2/3 place cash prizes to 3/4 place. :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OBPlover » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 pm

It's f---ing crazy that CBS sports is counting it. Totally unfair.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby Element » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm

The numbers in game 163 get added to the back of the baseball card. I can understand why they do.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sekrah » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 am

OBPlover wrote:It's f---ing crazy that CBS sports is counting it. Totally unfair.

Every roto league has counted it since the beginning of time as far as I know. MLB counts those stats as regular season stats so do the roto leagues. Check out the NFBC, and their $100K competition. They have the richest games in the world, they've been counting game 163 forever. The only debate going on is whether teams should be allowed to change lineups for it. This year they were becauses the game fell on Monday, the first day of new scoring periods, and alot of people were upset over that.
Sekrah
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby OBPlover » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:37 pm

Sekrah wrote:
OBPlover wrote:It's f---ing crazy that CBS sports is counting it. Totally unfair.

Every roto league has counted it since the beginning of time as far as I know. MLB counts those stats as regular season stats so do the roto leagues. Check out the NFBC, and their $100K competition. They have the richest games in the world, they've been counting game 163 forever. The only debate going on is whether teams should be allowed to change lineups for it. This year they were becauses the game fell on Monday, the first day of new scoring periods, and alot of people were upset over that.

Yahoo did not count it. I thought Yahoo set the standard for the industry but I guess not. Anyways, I know it counts towards regular season stats but we are looking at fantasy balance here. A game "163" is basically just a one game playoff. We would never want playoffs included with regular season stats (would make players on good teams more valuable and throw off the dynamic). Therefore the extra game should not apply.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sekrah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:16 am

OBPlover wrote:Yahoo did not count it. I thought Yahoo set the standard for the industry but I guess not.

LOL.. They definently do not.

Anyways, I know it counts towards regular season stats but we are looking at fantasy balance here. A game "163" is basically just a one game playoff. We would never want playoffs included with regular season stats (would make players on good teams more valuable and throw off the dynamic). Therefore the extra game should not apply.

[/quote]

Hey I'm actually in agreement with you, I'd prefer that they do not count, but they do and always have in the serious fantasy baseball world. But a valid argument that kinda qualms my rage is that there is never "fantasy balance". Some players are always going to get more opportunities than others. There are always players getting more at-bats, rbis, home runs, stolen bases, strikeouts, saves, etc.. because of extra inning games. There's nothing you can do about that either.

You can argue til your blue in the face, in the serious fantasy baseball roto community it has and always will continue to count.
Sekrah
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby OBPlover » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:47 pm

There are always players getting more at-bats, rbis, home runs, stolen bases, strikeouts, saves, etc.. because of extra inning games. There's nothing you can do about that either.

There's a huge difference between your example and a 163 playoff game. When choosing players, one factor in the decision on when to draft that player or how much to bid is the team he is on. You can take David Ortiz over Evan Longoria (for example) because you think the Red Sox are a better offensive team and Ortiz will have more RBI opportunities. But you can NEVER take Ortiz over Longoria because you think Ortiz is more likely to play in a game 163. Ortiz has little say in the finals number of games won for the Rays (only influencing slightly for the few times they play each other).
You can argue til your blue in the face, in the serious fantasy baseball roto community it has and always will continue to count.
[/quote]

There is no "serious baseball roto community" ..you are making it seem like there is some kind of "right answer" regarding a judgement call.

There is a tiny handful of companies that own 90% of the market share. If enough players told them to change their rules or at least provide a choice then they would change. Simple.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers