Ask the dog: your offseason needs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Ask the dog: your offseason needs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ask the dog: your offseason needs

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 pm

We can keep 5 players at a 10% salary increase and 3 more with their salary doubled.
I would keep your 'steals' at the doubled prices still Goldy would go for about 20-25 in your league if these prices are reflectant of overall.

1B Goldschmidt 4 (Keeper 5 Doubled)
1B Belt 2
1B Rizzo 2
1B Adams 1
2B Carpenter 3
2B Kendrick 1
SS Segura 2 (Keeper 4 Doubled)
SS E. Cabrera 2
OF Craig 5
OF Bruce 18 (Keeper 1 10%)
OF Gomez 11
OF Heyward 10 (Keeper 2 10%) - I expect a big year out of him next year if healthy.
OF Stanton 22 (Keeper 3 10%)
SP Wheeler 1

I would look to package Carpenter or Kendrick, Rizzo, Craig, Gomez and maybe Everth for an elite 3b keeper if you can get one. I just don't like Gomez's attitude. Craig is great value at 5 but I like an elite SS for under 5. You have a top OF there worth keeping at about 20ish in Bruce and Stanton is worth it. I went with Heyward since you start 5 OF. If you can acquire an elite 3b keeper with some of your spare parts I would throw Heyward out in place of that 3b keeper so maybe include Heyward if you have to go get it done.

Pick 3 for 16 team league:
Minus Marte (who is a SB threat only really IMO) for Price, Ryan Zimm an elite 3b still, and stud catcher Carlos Santana (you need some power to keep and you have three insane keeper pitchers as is). Out of your leftover arms I would keep Price first.

One note EXM: I would look to deal away J-Zimm to a team starved for pitching you might can acquire an elite bat. I would package one of Marte or Ellsbury (preferred as Marte is younger) for an elite bat. I wouldn't go for an aging stud like Cano, but someone younger like Davis, Longoria, Freeman. If you have to settle for a tier two I would also fill another position of need as well. Maybe Segura/Freeman for your J-Zimm/Ellsbury.

1. Pick 2:
A Simmons SS - Surprising power from a SS, very young and will only get better, just hope his low k-rate will translate into a higher OBP for you in the future. Has speed, wish he'd use it.

As far as the other one its tough: Travis D'Arnaud is a catching prospect and that's pretty much it. I would rather take a sure fire 30 homer bat in the OF in Granderson than a slightly risky catching prospect. I mean guys like Wilin Rosario might be available to trade for. Catchers like Lucroy or Jason Castro might be available in the draft or cheap. I would pass on a catcher at this time.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1943)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 pm

[quote="pcm4"]I'm in a 10 team H2H auction league. 6x6 scoring with the standard 10 categories with OBP added for hitters and K/BB added for pitchers. $260 budget. The price to keep a guy goes up $5 every year.

Here is the list of hitter candidates and how much they will cost to keep for 2014.

Encarnacion 1b: $31 (huge power bat have to keep)
Pedroia 2b: $33 (worth keeping, but maybe trade bait to get a younger 2b who is as productive)
Donaldson 3b: $10 (minimal risk here - if he flames out like a Huff or Headley no biggie no big loss)
Hanley SS: $9 (auto-lock - found new life in LA)
Rios: $16 (NO THANKS - See AJax note)
Myers $10 (No brainer)
J Upton: $34 (I would try and trade this guy with Pedroia as they are both a little bit overpriced)
A Jackson: $13 (He'll hit for a solid clip and get a few homers and SB, but the high strikeout rate and the fact that I don't see him becoming an elite elite performer, I think I'd probably throw him back for someone in the draft who can give you similar stats at a cheaper rate)
Gordon: $9 (Tough decision here - solid, not spectacular bat here would keep over Ajax provides similar counting stats at a fraction of the cost and fewer ks.)

Here is the list of pitching candidates and how much they will cost to keep for 2014:
Not sure compartively speaking how much elite arms cost? Lee is a stud and one of the few automatic plays outside of the usual suspects. I think Philly will do a little better next year and his luck will be much better. The rest are good young arms worth keeping for one season that those prices.
Shelby Miller: $10
Cliff Lee $30
J Zimmerman: $17
Medlen: $16

I would deal Pedroia and Upton for one elite keeper or extra picks and salary relief if you can swing it. They are a bit too expensive for my taste.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:38 pm

C: Zunino
1B: Goldschmidt
2b: Wong
3b: Arenado
OF: Myers
OF: Puig
OF: Stanton
Util: Butler
SP: Harvey
SP: Darvish
SP: Ubaldo
SP: T. Walker

Bautista, Gio for Bailey, Puig, and Arenado. I think Arenado is a solid young tier 2 3b if he can increase his power this is a deal worth making. Bautista is getting a little older and you have Stanton and Myers. Puig is clearly superior in a long term league and gets you at least a passable 3b for deep league play. You can afford to make that trade as Gio is a little inconsistent and Ubaldo is eerily similar to him and seems to have righted himself. Its risky yo keep Ubaldo but in a deep league he's your #3 or #4 next year with the potential to pitch into the low end ace category. You have to take risks in FBB to win titles, especially in a deep league...I view that trade as a push at SP and upgrading the OF and gaining a good servicable 3b. Do it. Would maybe try to package Butler + Jimenez for a slightly more consistent solid young arm (maybe a Mike Minor type would be nice) and an early pick or good UTL bat like Carpenter back to you in return
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Knights/RJ?Sman answered your threads. Scott:
I chose to keep youth over some of your aging stars.
2B) Jose Altuve ;-D
SS) Elvis Andrus ;-D
OF) Jose Bautista ;-D
Matt Kemp ;-D
Christian Yellich ;-D
SP) Yu Darvish ;-D
Stephen Strasburg ;-D
Justin Verlander ;-D
Cole Hamels ;-D
Jose Fernandez ;-D
Mike Minor ;-D
Float Pujols, Mauer, Ortiz, Bautista Verlander etc on the trade market something will bite.
I have 10 keepers here the 11th would be a younger 1b that isn't so much a regression/injury risk. If it comes down to it, throw back either Minor or Yelich and keep the still productive Pujols with your last spot I mean he can still hit...but that plantar foot problem whatever can nag you for life...Out of these keepers you have, maybe Kemp as well to rid yourself of some headaches...I would throw Alltuve back if you are able to acquire a couple of good young INF bats as keepers or what not and keep Pujols if you are unable to trade I mean he's still got a couple of 30 homer 100 RBI seasons in him.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Ok yall this thread up-to-date keep em coming :D.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby redsoxsucker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Hey man. if you replied to mine as you mention over on my main post - I don't see it. Def interested in your thoughts if you would please repost
A-Rod is a little B*tch
[img]C:\Personal\Pictures\Sox%20Game%20and%20Jenn\cubssox%20marquee.jpg[/img]
redsoxsucker
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby exm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 pm

MadDog36 wrote:1. Pick 2:
A Simmons SS - Surprising power from a SS, very young and will only get better, just hope his low k-rate will translate into a higher OBP for you in the future. Has speed, wish he'd use it.

As far as the other one its tough: Travis D'Arnaud is a catching prospect and that's pretty much it. I would rather take a sure fire 30 homer bat in the OF in Granderson than a slightly risky catching prospect. I mean guys like Wilin Rosario might be available to trade for. Catchers like Lucroy or Jason Castro might be available in the draft or cheap. I would pass on a catcher at this time.

Thanks and I agree to keep Simmons and not keep D'Arnaud at this point. The question is: Werth or Granderson? Obviously it depends if Grandy stays in NY but Werth just had a monster year.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 76)

Postby stlcards02 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Would you rather have Segura or Gomez as a keeper for next year in a 20-team points league?

Keepers(as of now): Longoria, A.Jones, Encarncion, Goldschmidt, Ellsbury, Holliday, Kershaw, Darvish. As it stands now, I would have all my OF slots filled up as well as my two Util spots if I went Gomez(who I like better) or having Segura would fill that SS position. I plan on moving a OF if I can, so that may sway my decision. Thoughts?

Thanks again!
stlcards02
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Segura would be my choice since you have a full OF good 1b 3b UTL and 2 stud starters. I would try to deal Gomez for a 2b like Kipnis to complete your keepers. Someone like Cano is probably unattainable without messing up your other keepers. Go. ;-D
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions