How to keep bottom teams involved in roto keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to keep bottom teams involved in roto keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How to keep bottom teams involved in roto keeper league

Postby Garry26 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 am

If it's a keeper, then drafting goes in reverse next year.
Last place drafts first, 2nd to last drafts 2nd, 3rd to last drafts 3rd, so on and so forth.

This ensures the worst teams get the best picks after keepers, and gives them hope, and helps improve their teams. Isn't this how it's done in real life football & basketball leagues?
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fast dogs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Garry26 wrote:If it's a keeper, then drafting goes in reverse next year.
Last place drafts first, 2nd to last drafts 2nd, 3rd to last drafts 3rd, so on and so forth.

This ensures the worst teams get the best picks after keepers, and gives them hope, and helps improve their teams. Isn't this how it's done in real life football & basketball leagues?

That works to bring teams back for the following year but doesn't really help in August and Sept when some of the bottom teams fail to make adds and keep a healthy active competing roster. We try to make it crystal clear at the beginning of each season and again after the All Star break that teams need to keep updating their rosters even if it isn't their year this year. It works fairly well, but every now and then an owner needs a reminder.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 320)

Postby metfan10314 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:46 pm

After the first year, Fantasy Sports R Us also has last to first drafts and keeper leagues end after 5 years and become random draft new leagues with no keepers.
metfan10314
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Garry26 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:50 pm

fast dogs wrote:

That works to bring teams back for the following year but doesn't really help in August and Sept when some of the bottom teams fail to make adds and keep a healthy active competing roster. We try to make it crystal clear at the beginning of each season and again after the All Star break that teams need to keep updating their rosters even if it isn't their year this year. It works fairly well, but every now and then an owner needs a reminder.

Ah yes that is true. Although, I once saw a last place team after 2 months slowly crawl all the way to 1st. It's rare though.

I also forgot to mention another part of it: Keepers can't be kept forever. You can keep guys for 3-5yrs. Sort of like a contract. This does 2 things:
1) makes trades more interesting because years left count towards a players value
2) gives owners hope. They know (insert top players here) won't be on Team X forever. There will be a reset of sorts in 3-5yrs.

You see, it's all about hope. That's how real life teams keep fans coming back. If there's no hope, there are only diehards in the seats and in your fantasy league. Hard to get those :(
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)

Postby jeffmerk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:05 pm

fast dogs wrote:

Disinterested owners should be replaced with new blood. I learned long ago that keeping active through the entire season, no matter where you are in the standings, can only help your team in the future.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 90)

Postby thatguysound » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:38 pm

I've been the commisioner of a 10 team league that just finished up our 12th season. Over the years we have made numerous changes to combat this late season malaise.

The best moves that we made to keep people active all year were to tweak the draft order (so that the draft was not simply the reverse finish order) and to change from a roto league to a head to head league.

When we became a H2H league, I made six teams eligible for the playoffs. Right off the bat, that meant that there were really only two teams that would have lost interest before the last week or so. And for the four teams that missed out on the actual playoffs, they were in a playoff for the top pick. So there was literally no point in the season where you weren't playing for something.

As for our current draft setup, it currently works like this:

Your draft position is determined by a combination of finish order and the quality of keepers you hang on to. The primary factor is the quality of players kept. When I get everyone's keepers, I look at their overall rank for the past three seasons and basically work out an average keeper strength for each team. The stronger the keepers, the lower the draft position, which gives the weakest teams the best chance at higher draft picks. Thats not the only factor though - I also reward managers for how they perform in the playoffs (as detailed above); I also factor in the team's overall record (on the idea that there should be a difference between a 7th place team who just misses the playoffs and a 7th place team that had no shot) and if a team is cornering the market by keeping multiple players at the same position (to discourage someone from hoarding three of the top four shortstops, for example). But essentially that's the formula.

This winter I'm trying to tweak the draft even further by making our draft an auction instead of a snake draft. Instead of flat out keepers, I'm going to let managers get auction discounts on their keeper designations. The idea is that when one of your keepers comes up for auction, the other nine managers will bid. When the price is set, you get the option of keeping that player at a discount to the final bid price, or deciding to let the player go and get a bonus to your draft budget. I'm thinking that it will allow most of the keepers to stay where they are, but with the added wrinkle that if another manager really wants to overpay for a player from another team, they can opt to do so. Not sure how it will play out at this point, but I'm hopeful it will make for a more entertaining draft!

We have absolutely lost some players over the years, of course - life happens, people lose interest, etc.. But on the whole, 7 of the ten managers have been in the league for at least 8 years. Just talk to them all season long. Get them involved in the process. If the other managers have a say in how the league is run, they will be less likely to tune out. And the rewards for better performace definitely seems to help. But if you can only make one change, strongly consider making it a H2H league.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner