Miguel Gonzalez vs Yordano Ventura - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Miguel Gonzalez vs Yordano Ventura

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Miguel Gonzalez vs Yordano Ventura

Postby TastyPastry » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Hello,

I just stumbled across your forum and it's excellent - I can't wait to start giving advice to people in the future. However, I was wondering if I could take advantage now on a question that I have.

I'm currently in a keeper league, 32 teams with duplicate player option (i.e. aramis ramirez can be on two teams, though you can't have him twice personally). This makes it sort of deep, but not too terribly deep - usually the top 20 prospects who will probably get called up this coming year are taken in the league, but that's no guarantee. It's H2H style with categories of runs, homeruns, rbi, stolen base, average, strikeouts, era, whip, wins and saves. I might petition or OBP or walks next year (in which case I'd need to petition for a pitching statistic as well, but that's likely not an important point in this post...). Usual position spots (no CF, RF, LF, just OF) with one utility spot. Am allowed 2 RP spots.

In any case, here's my team:

C - Vmart
1B - Adam LaRoche
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Aramis ramirez
SS - Martin Prado
OF - MIchael Bourn
OF - Matt Holliday
OF - Brett Gardner (in theory)
UT - Salvador Perez
Bench - Evan Gattis
Bench - Alcides Escobar
Bench - Jonathan Singleton
DL - Rickie Weeks
DL - Carlos Quentin

SP - Chris Archer
SP - Tim Lincecum
SP - Martin Perez
SP - Tanner Roark
SP - Yovani Gallardo
SP - Kevin Gausman
SP - Gio Gonzalez
SP - Miguel Gonzalez
SP - Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez
SP - Mike Leake
SP - Kyle Lohse
SP - Clay Buccholz
SP DL - Chris Carpenter
SP - Johnny Cueto
RP - Chris Perez
RP - Mark Melancon

If it's not obvious, I place a lot more value on pitching than in hitting in this league. That is partially because although there is a pitching minimum, there is no maximum. As long as I have quality arms that are going to pitch solidly, there's little reason not to throw them out there as much as possible so that I can win K's and Wins.
Although this team is by no means a "backbreaker" #1 definitely team, it has the potential there to compete next year I believe compared to my opponents. Keeping in mind it's a keeper, but that I think I can compete next year for a #1/#2 spot, the ultimate question is...

Do I pick up Yordano Ventura? If so, who do I drop? Usually time would be of the essence here - you'd think someone would have grabbed him by now, but the league ended last week so people stopped paying attention.

The question isn't "who is the obvious person on my team to drop" here, at least not to me, but "do I believe he will be marginally better than X player on my team as a whole in this next year and the years after?" I obviously, as I mention, am giving more weight to next year as I think I'll be able to compete pretty well.

At the moment my top drop pick I believe is Miguel Gonzalez...29 and in his sophmore season would make any fantasy owner nervous, and a 3.94 ERA isn't exactly sterling. However, he's been doing it for a year and a half and has remained a solid pitcher...not much to be said for the K numbers, but the wins are there.

The age old question: go with the young fireballer or go with the proven older guy?

and of course, if you see someone else I should drop instead, by all means say so. As you can see, my hitting is a little sparse in depth, so it's hard to justify dropping anyone from there. Also, dropping anyone from a DL spot obviously wont free up a spot, there's a section for them (5 spots). 25 man roster + 5 DL. Yes, I'm over that right now, as I said, no one's been paying attention...as to why Johnny Cueto and Buccholz can still sit on my DL ;)

Thank you!

-Steve
TastyPastry
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Gonzalez vs Yordano Ventura

Postby OBPlover » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am

Since holds is not a category I can't see why you would hold on To Melancon.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby Element » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm

OBPlover wrote:Since holds is not a category I can't see why you would hold on To Melancon.

Agreed. It's Grilli's job again.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 pm

I think I'd hang onto Miguel Gonzalez and Yordano and let a MRP go. Is Melancon under contract for next season with Pittsburgh?
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1886)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions