Drop Lake for Davis or Asche? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop Lake for Davis or Asche?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop Lake for Davis or Asche?

Postby Philly_05 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:28 am

I think it's time to cut ties with Junior Lake in my roto league. Kids just slumping hard and killing my K numbers lately. He doesn't really tie into my plans for next season. I know Asche is a little banged up but was planing much better the past month. Ike Davis is also available. He looked good for a bit but has fallen off again. Would either of these players be a better option down the stretch? I could see Asche being a player I could use next season or beyond with the keeper rules. He would be a WW add going to the back of our draft for keeper value. Each yr the players go up 2 rounds. Until you have to put them back into the draft. All 1st and 2nd picks go back every year.

Roster
C- Carlos Santana
1B- Joey Votto
2B- Brian Roberts
3B- Chris Johnson
SS- Hanley Ramirez
CI- Yonder Alonso
MI- Jurickson Profar
IF- Cody Asche
LF- Justin Upton
CF- Mike Trout
RF- Yasiel Puig
OF- Eric Young Jr.
UT- Desmond Jennings
Bench- Christian Yellich, Domonic Brown
DL- Matt Kemp

SP- Matt Latos
SP- Adam Wainwright
RP- Kenley Jansen
RP- Addison Reed
P- Trevor Rosenthal
P- JJ Hoover
P- Matt Belisle
P- Kevin Siegrist
Bench- Justin Verlander, Jose Fernandez, Danny Salazar, Jake Peavy, Shelby Miller
DL- JJ Putz
DL- Matt Moore
DL- Neftali Feliz
Last edited by Philly_05 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 632)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop Lake for Davis or Asche?

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Cody Asche is an intriguing player. Scouts said that he had more power potential than guys like Machado or Seager, adding in some SB. Let me break it down for you...Citizens Bank Park is an excellent place for left-handed power hitters though, so Asche is in a good place. Asche posted a solid .191 ISO at Triple-A this season in a park that favors pitchers and suppresses home runs However, his home run prospects look to be around average level from a third baseman, maybe 15-20 over a full season.

He sure reminds you Filly fans of Chase Utley in a way (his mannerisms and raw skill set..so this is a good thing. He says that Chase Utley is his mentor and hero - so this is a good thing as well). He does strike out quite a bit as evidenced by his 99 ks at AAA Leehigh, but the thing is no one mentions is that his walk rate has gradually improved as he has learned and matured and is a little more than 1/3 of his strikeout rate. What else is good for him - he plays all out. He's not afraid to dive for balls go extra effort all-out. He also keeps a quiet demeanor about himself..he's a guy you will be able to root for..for years to come.

He seems to be a younger version of Utley, with some power and some speed upside - potential 20/20 3b or even 2b depending on what Amaro decides on him. What you have hear is a poor man's David Wright...someone like Howie Kendrick or Martin Prado with a little bit of speed, he's one of these players that might blossom into a superstar, but I highly doubt he'll ever be as good as Chase was in his prime years. I think what Chase has done the last couple of years 275/16/70 is a good ceiling for Asche with about 20 SB. Solid not spectacular value here...one of those seat warmers or solid role players on your team that is better than probably what you'd get out of FA.

I like players like this: Carpenter, David Murphy, Hank Blaylocks, Howie Kendricks etc etc they can be a real help in deeper leagues. There is certainly potential for him to hit for 20-25 homers in his prime years as he adds on muscle and mass to his frame..as a last round keeper...being a Filly fan that you are, why not? Junior Lake is probably best used as a super-UTL player that can hit an occasional homer and steal an occasional base - I like Asche's prospects....take him easily over all or nothing Davis or a career backup.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1928)

Postby hondo4mvp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Ike is out ROS with an oblique problem.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Philly_05 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks guys. Great write up MadDog just didn't want to be a homer and act before asking. :-D

Now I got to figure out how in the world i'm going to clear roster space for Feliz, Kemp and Moore. At least if Dom or Upton would go on the DL that would help. Otherwise I got to cut 3 guys in the next week or so. Might lean toward Verlander, one of my holds guys but I really do need 4 to gain those 2 points. Then maybe Salazar.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby daullaz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:19 pm

We answered your question in this week's Cafe Pod:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2013 ... epod23.php
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Philly_05 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks daullaz. ;-D
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions