Yahoo, Lose position eligibility - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo, Lose position eligibility

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo, Lose position eligibility

Postby murmp2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:00 pm

How does Yahoo decide when players lose position eligibility? Example, Victor Martinez, will he have Catcher eligibility in 2014? He did just catch a game in 2013. So will he hold on to that eligibility or does Yahoo treat every year new year with the same "gain position eligibility" rules that state they have to start a position 5 times or play a position 10 times?
murmp2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo, Lose position eligibility

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 pm

murmp2 wrote:How does Yahoo decide when players lose position eligibility? Example, Victor Martinez, will he have Catcher eligibility in 2014? He did just catch a game in 2013. So will he hold on to that eligibility or does Yahoo treat every year new year with the same "gain position eligibility" rules that state they have to start a position 5 times or play a position 10 times?

No, he won't hold onto catcher eligibility unless he meets the 5 starts/10 appearances threshold (assuming Yahoo keeps the same position elig rules). Players never lose eligibility during a season, but they can lose it between seasons.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby murmp2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks!
murmp2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am

jackie hayes wrote:No, he won't hold onto catcher eligibility unless he meets the 5 starts/10 appearances threshold (assuming Yahoo keeps the same position elig rules). Players never lose eligibility during a season, but they can lose it between seasons.

I'm pretty sure Wil Myers lost C eligibility this season, albeit very early in draft season before MLB actually started playing.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:No, he won't hold onto catcher eligibility unless he meets the 5 starts/10 appearances threshold (assuming Yahoo keeps the same position elig rules). Players never lose eligibility during a season, but they can lose it between seasons.

I'm pretty sure Wil Myers lost C eligibility this season, albeit very early in draft season before MLB actually started playing.

Yeah, I think the explanation Yahoo would give (or gave? not sure if this came up with Genie) was that the original eligibility was simply a mistake, and they were correcting it before the season started. Rookies are more of a judgment call, anyway, on position eligibility -- I don't believe they apply the starts/appearances standard to minor league games. When it's subjective, it's probably (relatively) easy for a mistake or hold-over eligibility to slip in.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Skin Blues wrote:

You... you're good... ;-)

I believe Wil Myers is the only time Yahoo! has ever removed positional eligibility. I was involved in that decision. We made a big exception at that time because:
- It was very early in the game, and well before the season started.
- Myers was a very high profile player, and we were concerned it could be really unbalancing to have him have an unjustified catcher eligibility
- We analyzed all leagues at that point, and figured out there were only like 10 leagues that had already drafted, had drafted Myers, and had him in a starting lineup. That put a pretty hard cap on how hard customer care might get hit. One of the concerns with removing eligibility is that if you have Myers in a C slot, and then his C eligibility gets removed, weird stuff happens.

So the general premise here is sound. Guys don't typically lose eligibility midseason. Myers was a very unusual case.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Return to Baseball Leftovers