Just a vent, how to stop this? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Just a vent, how to stop this?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just a vent, how to stop this?

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:26 am

Look I am highly upset at a certain someone in one of my leagues. Though this is just a vent on my part, I am also looking to take in some feedback as to how to clear this mess up. I don't think my league subordinates are aware of this, but those that have been in since day one (though no one has spoken on it yet...) we had a guy who made two big trades: one with me and one with another person that didn't go his way this season and in the last month or two of the trading season he basically traded most of his talent away - save for one or two players he decided to keep.

His offense well to put it nicely is offensive. (His pitching staff is pretty dog gone good still). One of our GMs expressed himself with some profanity (most notably the f bomb) during one of his posts and this guy took serious offense to it and threatened to quit right there.

I knew at that point he was not serious...I mean he hasn't dismantled his entire team (so maybe I'm thinking to extremes - but, the fact that he's quitting after openly admitted to rebuilding and committing kinda irks me. This presents me with a huge problem - finding a competent owner who will take this kind of project seriously and not be flaky...and at the same time not hurt the rest of us. I've even in my toyed with the idea of a complete redraft or maybe a partial expansion draft for this team so it can be a little more competitive on the offensive side. None of my league mates (a few are on here) are aware of the situation, well now they might be if they read this...

His prospects are ok though a little loaded up on catchers.

I mean he claimed an increase work load but not to the point where he can hire someone else. I understand that, thing is I almost knew this was coming.

How can I prevent someone from jetting like this in the future ( I mean making it tough on those to follow?)

I almost think he's making an excuse and gracefully/respectfully bowing out. What kind of incentives can I offer for someone taking this team. I mean we have 15 keepers and honestly he only has about four bats worth keeping and maybe 6-8 arms that can be kept and a couple of these are a slight stretch - but its the best this team can muster for keepers.

I was kinda silently policing (overseeing everything with a quiet mouth but a watchful eye and now I'm speaking out against it.)

Am I out of line in thinking Ricky boy did this intentionally or should I see that he made a couple of trades that backfired on him and he just decided that he wasn't going to commit to what he thought was a lost cause?

In his defense, he is a good, hard-working christian guy and it isn't in his character to pull some shenanigans...but the fact that he's quitting (and that alone) makes me think he wasn't really in it.

Options:

A) expansion

B) redraft completely (though I doubt this will fly over too well)

C) allow new GM up to a few extra early picks (but since we have so many keepers etc it will be tough to bridge the gap here - though a few extra early picks - maybe with less keepers could help him a little - mainly his bats.

D) delete his team - remove divisions, go with no divisions odd # of teams and make all his players available for the draft.

E) your ideas?
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1942)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just a vent, how to stop this?

Postby ayebatter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 am

Have each team protect 14 keepers and let the new guy pick his 15 keepers from the remaining players (his roster+the 14 unprotected keepers).
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Knights » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:35 am

ayebatter wrote:Have each team protect 14 keepers and let the new guy pick his 15 keepers from the remaining players (his roster+the 14 unprotected keepers).

My initial thought is similar to this... but with a tweak.

Have all of the other teams name their 15 keepers. Once those are set in stone, of those 15 players they must leave 5 of them 'unprotected.' You can pick the best number of unprotected keepers - I just suggested 5 based of my line of thought. Then the owner taking over the team can select a maximum 1 'unprotected keeper' from each team to build his/her roster.

Stipulate that he doesn't need to select a player from every roster per se. Let him determine how many players he wants to select from the 'unprotected keepers' versus how many players on his current roster he wants to keep.

Once the new owner selects his new roster, any owners who lost a player can then name a replacement keeper from their remaining players who they didn't name as keepers initially.

This would ensure that the new owner has a chance to get some decent talent... not just every other team's 15th keeper, who might be a borderline keeper anyway.

Plus, there would be some strategy involved by the other owners in determining which 5 keepers they will leave unprotected. Knowing that they will most likely lose an unprotected keeper and have to replace them, some owners may leave a sleeper keeper off their initial keeper list to ensure that they don't lose him, knowing that they can add him as their 15th keep after the new owner selects his players. But there's a risk involved... because if none of your unprotected keepers get selected then you aren't able to replace your 15th keeper.

In terms of how to stop this going forward... that's a whole different issue and is definitely no easy fix or sure thing unfortunately.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby SonOfAPitch » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Both of those solutions sound reasonable, although it may be difficult to convince some owners to name five unprotected keepers.

I think the biggest issue you're facing is how to prevent this from happening again. One of the biggest hardships in keeper leagues is rebuilding, especially if there is no minor league bench or n/a slots. I'd suggest adding n/a slots of some sort, that way teams that are not succeeding can at least hold onto something in the form of top prospects, hoping they get a Mike Trout or Manny Machado in the process.
SonOfAPitch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 18)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm not understanding the unprotected keeper list thing. Yes we have minor league rosters
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1942)

Postby Knights » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:55 pm

MadDog36 wrote:I'm not understanding the unprotected keeper list thing.

Basically instead of ayebatter's idea of each team keeping 14 players instead of 15 and allowing the new owner to pick hhis roster from the remaining pool of open players, my suggestion was to have each owner select thier bottom 5 keepers out of their list of 15 keepers (keeper #'s 11-15, theoreticslly) and the new owner is able to pick any player from each team's bottom 5 keepers to fill out their roster - but they are only allowed to select, at most, 1 player from each team.

This would be a way to convince a new owner to take over the team of they guy who's threatened to leave and has very few keeper-worthy players on their roster. It doesn't give him free reign over the best keepers in the league, but it also doesn't just dump the worst of the keeper-worthy players on him... and that wouldn't really be a selling point if you're trying to find someone to take over a bad an abandoned team.

It wouldn't solve the issue of hoping this situation doesn't occur again in the future, but it would give the new owner a chance. Like SonOfAPitch said though, I'm sure it wouldn't come without some push back from the existing owners. But then again, there will not be an easy/unanimous solution to a situation like this.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby CaptainSpaulding88 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Being a current member of this league im not particularly in favor of any of these ideas lol. But maybe we do it like an expansion team and give him the #1 pick the next 2 years draft (unless he win the league the first year lol)
CaptainSpaulding88
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:09 pm

CaptainSpaulding88 wrote:Being a current member of this league im not particularly in favor of any of these ideas lol. But maybe we do it like an expansion team and give him the #1 pick the next 2 years draft (unless he win the league the first year lol)

Nice so you'll let him have what is really pick #181 in a 12 team league or pick #226 in a 15 teamer.

;-D .........
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:46 am

some middle ground maybe, protect 7 then allow him to pick 1 from each team. 5, 7 something that the current owners can live with. Extra draft picks that can be traded for players perhaps. Certainly you want to give new owners a chance to compete, half price for the first year maybe. With so many keepers it just really isn't fair to the new owner to have to pick after all the top players are gone. certainly there should be something to satisfy both the old and the new
If your league is like most, this will be nearly an every year event, 1 owner leaving, usually with a weaker keeper set. The top managers take from the weaker owners and every year their keepers get a little bit better; put some rules in place to help the lesser owners/teams for the future.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby kaiser » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 am

Ayebatter's original idea is the best solution, in my opinion. Everyone keeps 14, and then the new owner picks his fifteen keepers.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions