Upton for Cargo? Keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Upton for Cargo? Keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upton for Cargo? Keeper league

Postby KSChris » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 am

16 team, H2H keeper league.
10 keepers per team, $265 budget.

I was offered this today.

I GET:
$26 CarGo

HE GETS:
$8 Justin Upton
$6 Elvis Andrus

I am out of it completely this year and am only focusing on keepers, so Andrus isn't a factor for me. But the price difference does worry me. However, CarGo is more reliable than Upton has been. Not as streaky. Although more injury prone.

I need some advice.

Here is my current keeper group

$11 Allen Craig
$25 Brandon Phillips
$35 Evan Longoria
$9 Bryce Harper
$8 Justin Upton
$5 Jurickson Profar
$21 Gio Gonzalez
$19 Brandon Beachy
$3 Patrick Corbin
$3 Noah Syndergaard
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Upton for Cargo? Keeper league

Postby dannahann » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:23 am

If you are looking to next year and beyond as you say I'd rather have JUp than CarGo even if the costs were the same. In most of the dynasty rank lists I've read, Upton is ranked the better keep than CarGo, so its not just my opinion. I really don't like your current offer. You lose the better keeper, and lose $18, and a cheap Andrus too. I get that you aren't keeping him but rather than throw him away it would make sense to use him to sweeten another trade in which you upgrade a keep. SS is still shallow, especially in a 16 teamer and someone will value a $6 Andrus enough to upgrade one of your keeps.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby KSChris » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 am

I do like Upton's price a lot. But he has been either not living up to expectations every year, or when he does like this year, it's only for two months of the season and he doesn't hit at all all summer long. His season numbers will probably end up looking good, but he wasn't contributing at all from May-July.

ESPN's keeper rankings have CarGo at #3 and Upton at #24.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/sto ... r-rankings
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thatguysound » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:41 am

Seems to me that the price difference and the fact that it's a keeper league means you should get a little more back. Could be that I just have a blind optimism for Upton, since I've made him a keeper in my own league for three years straight. But I do think he will eventually put those streaks together more consistently. He's still only 25 years old.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby dannahann » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:13 pm

KSChris wrote:I do like Upton's price a lot. But he has been either not living up to expectations every year, or when he does like this year, it's only for two months of the season and he doesn't hit at all all summer long. His season numbers will probably end up looking good, but he wasn't contributing at all from May-July.

ESPN's keeper rankings have CarGo at #3 and Upton at #24.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/sto ... r-rankings

And that ranking is pretty close to how razzball had their keeps in July too (Cargo #10, Upton #18) but then again Grey tends toward witty quips more than firm analysis.
On the flipside, that same ESPN source had Upton (#9) better than Cargo (#11) in the preseason, so to me, slotting them #24 and #3 respectively now, represents a rather significant 'adjustment' based on just 3 months data. Several other sources have Upton the better keep: Dynasty guru does a top 500 overall dynasty ranking and his had Upton #8 and CarGo #16 in his July update. Closer than his preseason slotting of Upton #6 and CarGo #18, but not a drastic shift like Berry (ESPN) did. Top Team fantasy updated their top 200 for 2014-2017 mid July, ranking Upton #7 and CarGo#12. Another source in my spreadsheet that I only titled with the initials "fbd" (I believe it's fanball dynasty but I don't subscribe and think someone posted the list on a board) but I know was done at the allstar break had Upton #5 overall and CarGo #8. It's OK to do the trade if you prefer CarGo but I really think shopping the package of Upton and Andrus in your 16 teamer should get you more.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby KSChris » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for the input. I turned it down. Im not interested in shopping Upton. The only players I would trade him for would be CarGo or Trout or something, but ultimately the price difference is too steep for me.
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions