So who else is wishing they were a bit more patient? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So who else is wishing they were a bit more patient?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So who else is wishing they were a bit more patient?

Postby Ehlana » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:11 pm

I happened to look through our draft results this year and apparently in rounds 21-23 I drafted Teheran, Puig, and Werth, none of whom are on my team anymore. It makes me a sad panda.
(\ _ /)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*
Ehlana
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: So who else is wishing they were a bit more patient?

Postby Ray Zorback » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:51 pm

I also drafted Teheran and dropped him. I also drafted Beachy in 2 leagues, stashed him all year, then after his first 2 starts dropped him. Of course he pitched great in his next start. I also seemed to have given up on Lincecum too early. I let him bury me in ERA and WHIP and let him go right before he got going. :~(
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 277)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:09 pm

In my team I'm doing very bad in, I don't have any major drops that turned out well (Braun hurt me and I drafted Segura) but the team just isn't doing well.

In my league I'm in 2nd in I gave up on Julio Teherán and Chris Tillman. I've learned over the years to really let some of the picks you like play out for 2 months to see how their season looks so you don't get burned.

Sometimes over managing is the worst thing you can do

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Philly_05 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:24 pm

I had Teheran in one of my leagues a couple seasons ago. But cut him but it's roto so it's not as huge of a loss as it would be in other leagues. I actually added Puig when he was called up in my roto league and now control him for 26th round value. Trout will be 22nd round next year :-). Top two rounds are cut each year and players move up 2 rounds each year.

My sad panda moment of this season has to be when I selected my keepers. Last day I came down to either keeping Segura or Rutledge in my fantasy point league. I decided to keep Rutledge and put Segura back into the draft. The year prior I had moved up in the middle rounds of the draft to snag Segura. But the Angels screwing around cost me big time on this one. :,-(
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 646)

Postby kab21 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:55 pm

I am only in one league this year and it's a 24 tm dynasty so it's hard to have regrets over cut players. My regrets will be due to trading all of my prospects away from elite players. Here's the only sequence where that didn't work out although Bogaerts for the Panda and Myers/Skaggs for Sale/Weeks could turn against me someday.

here is the possible regret:
Puig (plus some lesser prospects) for Jose Fernandez
Jose Fernandez and matt Barnes for CarGo (who is conveniently injured)

Hard to complain about getting a top ten 27 yr old fantasy player but Jose is awesome. I'm absolutely shocked by Puig. I wasn't a fan at all but I picked at #13 in a first player draft so I wasn't alone. He has been slightly better than expected...
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Joe Mauer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:39 pm

I am in a couple of leagues. One, due to it's unique structure, doesn't have very many roster moves made in a season. So, usually one does not cut bait on a player until absolutely needed. Heck, I kept Ludwick on the roster up until a couple days before August! But I have been dominating that 5x5 roto league this season and that makes me even more slow to make moves in that league.

In the other league it is a contract league where we try to emulate real life baseball in every way. Last November my team lost a ton of players to free agency and I went into complete rebuild the minors system mode. I guess I wish I was more patient with some of the salary cap space I wasted on Stetson Allie. Spent 4% of my salary cap on his signing bonus as I was blinded by the power. Could have been better allocated on another player. That said, something to improve upon going forward. Lesson learned.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:30 pm

worst 19 hours of the season.

May 29 11:51pm Yasiel Puig Add
Rex Brothers Drop
May 30 6:54pm Ryan Doumit Add
Yasiel Puig Drop
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:11 am

Ayuh, every year it seems there are 2 or 3 guys that come back to burn me, but I just reviewed the draft results and it turns out there's really only one I regret this season. Coincidentally, it's Teheran. On the other hand, I did scoop "good" Lincecum, Alvarez and Liriano in the wake of others' early drops, so I feel like I've come out ahead on the quick-trigger wire.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Izenhart » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:55 pm

I think If anything I've been too patient this year. I keep rolling Adam Eaton out there in every league (after doing the same with Melky Cabrera - please stay hurt). I just have lots of team compositions of big power + big speed so I need some high avg guys who can score and there's nothing out there.

Verlander has been 1 click away from a drop in one of my leagues a few times, and it seems like I regret it every week. I tried to trade him but no one was biting. I threw Tim Lincecum back into the sea and watched him flop around from team to team, I should have done the same with JV.

Even with all my patience I did make some good moves and somehow am in second place out of 14 despite drafting Verlander, Hamilton, Mauer, Cain in rounds 1-4, with Lincecum, Estrada, Fister and Marcum rounding out the starting pitchers I drafted. X-I I also traded for Dickey before the season and somehow managed to get rid of him in a trade.

So in summary, no, I am not wishing I was more patient. I get MLB tv so I can watch the guys on my team that struggle, because when I watch them butcher my ratios I can actually SEE that they are bad instead of looking at the boxscore and wondering if all 11 hits allowed were lucky or he just wasn't locating.

My conclusion on Verlander is its partially mental, and expect a strong if not decent September. Also - his numbers aren't as bad as people make them out - his whip sure, but he's winning some games and getting K's and his 3.68 ERA isn't that bad.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Return to Baseball Leftovers