Jose Dariel Abreu Defects from Cuba - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Dariel Abreu Defects from Cuba

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jose Dariel Abreu Defects from Cuba

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:No, he won't sign with a team this year as he has to be cleared by MLB as a free agent.

When do we think that will happen? Is it safe to assume he won't be available to pick up on the fantasy sites until that time?

He'll probably be available on fantasy sites during the 2014 pre-season just like other Cuban and Japanese imports.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:No, he won't sign with a team this year as he has to be cleared by MLB as a free agent.

When do we think that will happen? Is it safe to assume he won't be available to pick up on the fantasy sites until that time?

He'll probably be available on fantasy sites during the 2014 pre-season just like other Cuban and Japanese imports. I expect Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and Aledmys Diaz to available during the time too.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Element » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:22 pm

kab21 wrote:His numbers are absolutely amazing everywhere he has played internationally. I saw him play this spring though and I wasn't very impressed. His swing seemed slow and long. He was also quite nonathletic already at age 26 (even compared to 1Bman). It was only one game though and he is going to sign for HUGE money next winter/spring.

This was my initial though as well. They hyped him up at the classic and I was pretty unimpressed. He would need to get quicker to the ball if he's going to be much of a contributor in the big leagues.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:39 am

Element wrote:
kab21 wrote:His numbers are absolutely amazing everywhere he has played internationally. I saw him play this spring though and I wasn't very impressed. His swing seemed slow and long. He was also quite nonathletic already at age 26 (even compared to 1Bman). It was only one game though and he is going to sign for HUGE money next winter/spring.

This was my initial though as well. They hyped him up at the classic and I was pretty unimpressed. He would need to get quicker to the ball if he's going to be much of a contributor in the big leagues.

Agreed.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Jose Dariel Abreu Defects from Cuba

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 am

It seems that, especially recently, Cuban professional skills are translating pretty well to MLB. Whether it be cespedes, Puig, chapman, Jose Fernandez (don't know if you want to count that one), Jose Iglesias.. Or going back a bit, ray ordonez and yunieski batencourt both lived up to what scouts said their potential was. Also, livan and Orlando Hernandez were quite successful.

But, watching YouTube clips of this fella, he reminds me of fellow Cuban defector Kendrys Moralas who, before injuries derailed his career, appeared to be an all-star slugger.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:38 am

lastingsgriller wrote:It seems that, especially recently, Cuban professional skills are translating pretty well to MLB. Whether it be cespedes, Puig, chapman, Jose Fernandez (don't know if you want to count that one), Jose Iglesias.. Or going back a bit, ray ordonez and yunieski batencourt both lived up to what scouts said their potential was. Also, livan and Orlando Hernandez were quite successful.

But, watching YouTube clips of this fella, he reminds me of fellow Cuban defector Kendrys Moralas who, before injuries derailed his career, appeared to be an all-star slugger.

Yup, I agree with this as well. And also I only saw 1 or 2 games of his in the classic...he didn't show anything impressive there but that's hardly a sample size to make too much of a judgment from when the rest of his credentials have been pretty stellar.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby jorgesca » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:31 pm

I remember reading this article back when it was published and found it weird that Cespedes, later on, made it to the bigs faster. I think it's been mentioned in the first page but nobody linked it.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/760 ... pon-planet
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:07 am

Baseball America has been much more conservative of Abreu. Some scouts said that Abreu is a mistake hitter, with only fair batspeed, who struggles against inside fastballs.

http://ht.ly/nPwqI

That said, he is very exciting. Especially considering the dearth of free agent first basemen.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Jose Dariel Abreu-1BInternational Player
According to multiple reports, 26-year-old Cuban 1B Jose Dariel Abreu has defected from Cuba. He has yet to be cleared by the U.S. government to play in the majors (he can only file for free agency after he’s been cleared). Abreu is is a former MVP in Cuba. In 2010-11, he hit .453 with 33 HR and 93 RBI in a 66-game season. He hit .360 with three HR and nine RBI in the most recent World Baseball Classic. The Marlins, Red Sox, Rangers, Mariners, A’s, Rockies and Nationals are among the teams most likely to sign Abreu, ESPN.com’s Jim Bowdwn recently wrote, based on what he’s heard from around the league.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby thedude » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Jose Dariel Abreu-1BInternational Player
According to multiple reports, 26-year-old Cuban 1B Jose Dariel Abreu has defected from Cuba. He has yet to be cleared by the U.S. government to play in the majors (he can only file for free agency after he’s been cleared). Abreu is is a former MVP in Cuba. In 2010-11, he hit .453 with 33 HR and 93 RBI in a 66-game season. He hit .360 with three HR and nine RBI in the most recent World Baseball Classic. The Marlins, Red Sox, Rangers, Mariners, A’s, Rockies and Nationals are among the teams most likely to sign Abreu, ESPN.com’s Jim Bowdwn recently wrote, based on what he’s heard from around the league.

No one is cleared that quickly. The US government has sped up the paperwork, but it still takes some time. I wouldn't expect him to be signed before the offseason.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers