I can't afford to have him sitting on the DL (along with Desmond Jennings) when I'm fighting for the championship (currently 3 points from first). I'm in a 12-team roto (standard stat + Holds/OBP). I'm in dire need of SB's and runs, but power and saves wouldn't hurt either. My potential trading partner has several players I'd be interested in: Jay Bruce, Chris Davis, Jacoby Ellsbury, Leonys Martin and Mo Rivera.
Would you make a move for the championship, or just hold on and hope for the best? My team:
C - R. Doumit (DL), J. Lucroy 1B - P. Fielder 2B - D. Pedroia SS - J. Reyes 3B - E. Longoria MI - N. Franklin CI - E. Encarcion OF - J. Heyward, D. Jenning (DL), Wil Myers U - B. Belt, J. Morneau, R. Rayburn, C. Gonzalez (DL)
SP - D. Price, C. Lee, J. Fernandez, S. Miller, Z. Greinke, Z. Wheeler, C. Archer, M. Moore RP - D. Farquar, J. Nathan, M. Melacon, J. Walden, J. Crain (DL), J. Grilli (DL), B. Wilson (DL)
Do you keep everyone? Certain # of players? You're already pretty stacked, which is why I ask and it may influence the decision.
Anyhow, my view here is that your objective is always to win now if you think you can. With that mind, \given your needs, Ellsbury seems like the right target. CarGo should warrant top 5 player, esp if you're trading him to someone out of contention. So if getting Ellsbury, I'd like to get something else thrown in to help you in another category, like the saves or power. Perhaps a lower average, power guy or a top 10 closer. Both would be fair deals.
I would considering trading him. You have a few starters that might be shut down before the end of the season with innings limits. I would see what you can get in return for Gonzalez, but I would try for an OF and/or a SP.
Well, I got him willing to move Ellsbury, but he's also willing to give me Leonys Martin. He wants in return, Cargo (DL), Jennings, (DL), Danny Farquar and Byron Buxon.
Cargo and Jennings are not doing anything for me currently, and first place is starting to pull away. I can gain a few points in stolen bases and runs will be part of the key in me over taking first place. If I can stave off those behind me in wins, holds and saves, I think I have a good chance. Would you go all in now? Or would you hold out for Cargo and Jennings to return, which I think will be at least another week?
If this was my team, I would keep Cargo. No way I trade him for a slightly better chance at winning this year. I would want his bright future on my team for years to come. Plus you always have the possibility that whoever you trade for gets hurt and screws up the whole plan. Dont mortgage the future.