Spot Starting Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spot Starting Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spot Starting Thread

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:57 am

So I've been on a decent run lately and figured I'd go ahead and put all this in it's own thread and that way others can put in their 2 cents worth as well...

The last few guys I promoted here were...Wily Peralta when he gave us 8 shutout innings on July 21st. I followed that up by picking Kazmir and Porcello for their next 3 starts and those just finished.
Porcello gave us
W,7IP,4H,0ER,3BB,1K
W,6IP,7H,3ER,2BB,3K
ND,7.2IP,8H,1ER,1BB,4K

Kazmir gave us
W,8IP,1H,0ER,1BB,7K
ND,5IP,9H,4ER,0BB,3K
W,6IP,2H,0ER,2BB,7K



My next choice will be Martin Perez...he starts today but you don't want him for today at LAA, you want to pick him up for potentially his next 5 starts...@Hou, Sea, Hou, @Sea, Min ;-D And if your league is like mine where you have transaction limits this is really nice to be able to pick up a "spot" starter but you can use him for more than just 1 start, that way you don't waste your adds/drops nearly as fast.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 358)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby silentjim » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 am

Nice thread.

I streamed Chen against the Mets, and despite not getting the win, he was a solid play for other stats. He goes against Boston next which I'd avoid, but after that he gets Miami, Detroit (which I'd probably sit him), the Nationals, and then the Twins. In his 4 starts he's gone 6 innings in each and given up 0,1,2, and 1 earned runs with three walks and 21Ks total over 24 IP. So far in his starts 4 hits is the most he's given up. Two of these games came against the Indians and Orioles the other two were the White Sox and Mets.

He's probably available in even the deepest leagues, which I like.

Martin Perez isn't available in my deepest league, which is frustrating.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
Posts: 1290
(Past Year: 76)
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10 pm

silentjim wrote:Nice thread.

I streamed Chen against the Mets, and despite not getting the win, he was a solid play for other stats. He goes against Boston next which I'd avoid, but after that he gets Miami, Detroit (which I'd probably sit him), the Nationals, and then the Twins. In his 4 starts he's gone 6 innings in each and given up 0,1,2, and 1 earned runs with three walks and 21Ks total over 24 IP. So far in his starts 4 hits is the most he's given up. Two of these games came against the Indians and Orioles the other two were the White Sox and Mets.

He's probably available in even the deepest leagues, which I like.

Martin Perez isn't available in my deepest league, which is frustrating.


Yup, Bruce has been pitching well but I cross my fingers every time out....if there was a picture in the dictionary next to "junk thrower" his picture would the one. He throws 60's-70's junk and then will mix in a low to mid 80's fastball...it's really amusing watching him baffle hitters with that stuff, but yeah, you can't make any mistakes at all when that's what you are throwing up there.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 358)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:13 pm

August 7:
Samuel Deduno @KC (H2H Only) -- Deduno has pitched well, despite a K/9 that is unrosterable in most Roto formats. Be that as it may, he's inducing a lot of ground balls, and Kansas City has the MLB's 25th Ranked Team OPS vs RHP at .679, just .003 ahead of the woeful Mets. The opposing KC pitcher that day is Wade Davis, who is five shades of terrible, hopefully lending itself to Deduno having an increased likelihood of earning a Win in the process. Deduno is 2 - 0 against the Royals with just 1 ER in 13 IP this season, to boot.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby Bwanna » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:17 pm

J35J wrote:Kazmir gave us
W,8IP,1H,0ER,1BB,7K
ND,5IP,9H,4ER,0BB,3K
W,6IP,2H,0ER,2BB,7K


Started to say that Kazmir won my h2h match this week after his 6 scoreless innings on Sunday gave me the ERA lead by .04, but then I remember his 4 ER when I started him vs CWS. Ended up being almost a wash, but it made for a closer H2H match on Sunday - (that and having the luxury of a late Cliff Lee start so that I could sit him).
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5657
(Past Year: 244)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby chris8 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:43 pm

J35J wrote:
My next choice will be Martin Perez...he starts today but you don't want him for today at LAA, you want to pick him up for potentially his next 5 starts...@Hou, Sea, Hou, @Sea, Min ;-D And if your league is like mine where you have transaction limits this is really nice to be able to pick up a "spot" starter but you can use him for more than just 1 start, that way you don't waste your adds/drops nearly as fast.

Someone's been reading this week's Waiver Wire Article! Either that, or it's a case of being on the same wavelength! ;-) ;-D
Image
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 7023
(Past Year: 103)
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Going to see a man about a dog

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 am

chris8 wrote:
J35J wrote:
My next choice will be Martin Perez...he starts today but you don't want him for today at LAA, you want to pick him up for potentially his next 5 starts...@Hou, Sea, Hou, @Sea, Min ;-D And if your league is like mine where you have transaction limits this is really nice to be able to pick up a "spot" starter but you can use him for more than just 1 start, that way you don't waste your adds/drops nearly as fast.

Someone's been reading this week's Waiver Wire Article! Either that, or it's a case of being on the same wavelength! ;-) ;-D


Unfortunately I don't usually read the articles...but definitely on the same wave length! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 358)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby chris8 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 am

Hope you did decide to start Perez last night - put up a more than decent line in 6.1 innings.
Image
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 7023
(Past Year: 103)
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Going to see a man about a dog

Re: Spot Starting Thread

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 pm

chris8 wrote:Hope you did decide to start Perez last night - put up a more than decent line in 6.1 innings.

No, I didn't pick him up until yesterday so I didn't even have the choice...though I probably wouldn't have anyway.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 358)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Spot Starting Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:22 pm

I spot started Guthrie last night vs. the twins. Moral of the story: you can't go wrong starting anyone against the twins.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 171)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 14:20 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact