Expansion Draft - need ideas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Expansion Draft - need ideas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Expansion Draft - need ideas

Postby GibandLou » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:35 pm

I am the Commish of a 10-team H2H keeper league. We are going through rounds of voting for rules changes. We are looking to expand to 12 teams. Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you handle the expansion draft? We are a 7-keeper league, with rosters of 24.

I actually considered something similar to what MLB did when Colorado and Miami entered the League. Each team can have 5 keepers. That makes 20 players, who would normally be keepers, available in the expansion draft. Both new owners make 4 picks each. After each pick, the team surrendering a player can then freeze another player. No team would lose more than 2 players. Thoughts?
GibandLou
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Expansion Draft - need ideas

Postby fast dogs » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 am

I'd then continue it by giving the new owners the first pick in each of the next 4 rounds of the big draft instead of a snake. Anything you can do to make it more competitive for the new owners the first year is a plus
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby bigmck » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:08 pm

What I have in mind is similar to what you said. If each team normally keeps 7 players, let them keep 5. Each original team would have 19 players unprotected or 190 in the expansion pool. Most of those would not be any good, but give them the choice of all the players. Like you said, let each team protect a player for each one chosen. When the expansion teams have seven players each then start the regular draft and let the expansion teams pick first in each round. I think you pretty much have the idea on how to do it. Good Luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby kcbrett5 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:07 am

This as definitely the way to do it. You want to give the new owners some kind of a chance right away. With a good expansion draft and a good draft this will allow it.
kcbrett5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Location: Stepping up to the plate, 2 out bases loaded, down by 3, right where i want to be.

Postby zelts3 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:24 pm

I am in a 14 team league that just expanded from 12. We keep a range of 7-10 each year. For the expansion, each team was allowed to "protect" five players. The expansion teams got to pick 2 guys each, then fill out the rest of their team from non kept players. No team could lose more than 1 player, so this would only effect 4 teams.

We do a straight classic draft, but edited the order, so that the expansion teams do a snake. In a 14 team league, the both finished middle of the pack, but were able to steal some quality players. They stole Yu, Greinke, Edwin Encarnacion, and Gio Gonzalez.....one team also drafted Chris Davis which helps. Since they finished in the middle, it shows they started well. They were happy with it.
zelts3
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby RedTiger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:14 pm

You're going to want to let each team keep fewer than 5 if you want the expansion teams not to suck. How could a team full of 6's and 7's compete against a team that has 1,2,3,4,5,7,9 for example

1. Each team at first protect 3 players.
2. The two expansion teams get to make two picks each (they must be from 4 of the 10 teams)
3. The four teams that gave up their #4 get to protect 4 more so they will have their 7 protected now.
4. The six teams that did not have a player taken protect two more players for a total of 5
5. Once a team has lost 2 players, they can protect their last two players.

This way, an expansion team will look more like 4,4,6,6,6,7,7
some teams will lose a #4, others will lose a #6 and a #7
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 34)

Postby thatguysound » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 am

There are any number of ways to handle an expansion draft. Seems to me the most important detail is to keep the current managers involved in the process. Come up with two or three options that all could be considered fair, and let your other managers decide. That way no one feels cheated, even if any one manager doesn't love the exact system you chose. "Majority rules" is always a fair way of making such a huge league change, and you will really avoid any bitterness.

As for what kind of options to present... a couple of good ideas have already been posted. It depends on how much importance you want to place on league parity vs butthurt managers getting to keep their favorites. If I were running the league, I would:

1. have the Original Managers keep three keepers
2. let the new guys pick one player each
3. let the OMs keep one more player from their roster
4. let the NMs pick two players each
5. OMs keep one more player (5 total keepers)
6. NMs pick two more players (5 total as well)
7. Start the draft however you would do it if there were no keepers at all.

But ultimately you just need to do what seems fair. Try to imagine it from both the new guys perspective and the om's perspective. Odds are that if both sides feel like they are getting shafted slightly, you've got a fair plan.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Goatrider » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Here are our rules. A one to Two step expansion draft. We have six keeper + 1 FARM keeper (developed from farm system and ineligible for expansion drafts):

XVII) Expansion Draft

A. An Expansion Draft will be conducted whenever the amount of new owners exceeds the amount of abandoned teams, i.e. when there are two new owners and one abandoned team then an Expansion Draft will take place.

B. When there are abandoned teams, the Expansion Draft shall be a two part procedure.
1. The new owners shall hold Part One of the Expansion Draft using the rosters of the abandoned teams.
2. The new owners shall then hold Part Two of the Expansion Draft using the Procedures in the following Article ( XVII, art. D).

C. When no abandoned teams exist, the Expansion Draft shall be a one part draft using the Procedures in the following Article (XVII, art. D).

D. Procedures:
1. All current owners will protect 5 keepers, plus one optional activated F-Keeper during the offseason.
2. New owners will hold the Expansion Draft selecting unprotected players from current rosters.
3. Each current owner can lose a maximum of one (1) player.
4. If the Expansion Draft has already involved selecting players from an abandoned team, Part Two shall be limited to two (2) rounds.
5. Current owners select full keepers according to keeper rules.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby converge241 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Along the lines of what others have said league I run follows similar lines, we have a waiting list to pass ownership to so we haven't had one in a bit but some years its needed.

Each team can protect x amount of players (depending on how many expansion teams)
New team(s) can only pick once from another team
Expansion teams will receive entry into the draft lottery, if draft order lottery has already occurred they will be placed between the lottery teams and the standard draft teams.

It can be tricky because you cant load them up too much but at same time you have to have some incentive to come join when you need to fill. Build a general strructure between what you think and what good ideas anyone has suggested and let the league vote on parameters. You have to force some part of it through otherwise league shrinks and all so for the good of the league dictate that it needs to happen but soft sell the parameters.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby RedTiger » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 pm

One thing I've found is no matter what you do, you may have one loud-mouth owner complain about the system. Offer him the opportunity to take the expansion team and give his team to the new owner. That shuts 'em up pretty quick.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 34)

Return to Commissioner's Corner