Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Take the Trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Take the Trade?

Postby Lundqvist 30 NYR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm in a 14 team dynasty league, and have been offered the following trade. I am in full rebuild mode, I'm last in everything by a mile.

I give: Buster Posey, Kyle Zimmer, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

I get: Oscar Taveras, Travis D'Arnaud, and a 1st round pick

Now note that with exchanging these picks, I would be moving up several spots in the rookie draft which is only 2 rounds long. And it is on Yahoo, so I'm not 100% sure how many prospects will be available come that 2nd round pick. I would be acquiring a top 5 pick in the rookie draft in the end.

Kyle Zimmer has been tearing it up recently, but the more I think about it, the more I think how I'll probably have to wait until 2016 for him to be pitching 200 innings. And that's provided he stays healthy. I have already been burned by Bundy having Tommy John. Top pitching prospects are nice, but I just don't think you can really build a fantasy team around them in a dynasty. Anyway, here's my roster:

C- Posey
1B- Davis
2B- Uggla
3B- C. Johnson
SS- B. Miller
IF- Alonso
OF- Trout
OF- Gordon
OF- E. Young
OF- Viceido
UTIL- Reddick

Bench: J. Singleton, G. Sanchez

SP- Strasburg, J. Fernandez, Fister, Lester, Holland, Gallardo, A. Wood, Cosart, K .Gibson, Nolasco, A. Webster, Bundy, S. Gray, Gausman, Zimmer, Meyer
RP- My RP's are terrible, not even worth mentioning
Lundqvist 30 NYR
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Take the Trade?

Postby tvshowap » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm

I like the deal for you, but I think you can offer less. Maybe not send your first round pick? I just think that Posey is so much of a "name" that the guy might do it without you sending that pick.
tvshowap
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby CyboNinja » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't think I would do it. You can do better for Posey. Also your team looks pretty decent. I realize you're out of it this year but with the core you have now a turn around next year is certainly possible. Don't be so quick to sell next season before this one is even over. I'd be making offers for Braun and Pujols if I were in "build for next year" mode. Just my 2c
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm

I would pass. You are trading a top, existing talent and an extra pick for unknowns. No way I do this. For every Longo, Votto, Trout there are dozens of Hughes, Weiters, Smoaks, etc. Just not worth it.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)

Postby Lundqvist 30 NYR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Just wanted to clear some things up. That 2nd round pick may prove to be worthless depending on the number of prospects Yahoo adds. Yahoo added like 19 prospects last year, and that 2nd round pick is 20th overall. Take it for what it's worth though, as I am not sure which guys will be there. I'd basically be giving up a later 1st and a mid 2nd to move up 5 spots in the 1st round, which would move me into the top 5 in the draft. That would give me picks 1, 4, 5, 6, and 13 in the first round.
Lundqvist 30 NYR
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lundqvist 30 NYR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:01 pm

And that is Ike Davis at 1B.
Lundqvist 30 NYR
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:I would pass. You are trading a top, existing talent and an extra pick for unknowns. No way I do this. For every Longo, Votto, Trout there are dozens of Hughes, Weiters, Smoaks, etc. Just not worth it.

Agreed, you need to get something better if you're giving up Buster.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions