How am I not in first?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How am I not in first?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How am I not in first?!

Postby Garry26 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 pm

At this point in the season you can tell why your team is where it is by looking at the standings breakdown and making realistic guesses on your players performance the last two months. Acceptance is the key. Accept that a bonafide 30HR hitter whose hit 10HRs so far, WILL NOT finish with 20HRs+. Aramis Ramirez will not get 25HRs even if he hadn't hit the DL (say it with me). Pujols will not hit 35HRs+ (say it with me). He probably won't even get 25HRs. I know its hard to accept, but breath, look at reality, and all will be easier.

The issue is making educated guesses in April and May because you have less stats to fall back on except for past performance.

My teams are in 1st, 1st, 3rd, and 4rth. In the 3rd and 4rth, I missed a few hitting stats, and wins/Ks when I didn't adjust my roster. I also didn't make key pick ups, but most of the time there was no way of knowing. So I lost out to those that grab people the second they hit 5HRs in a few days (like Puig). I may not be in first, but Id be in 2nd or 3rd. In one league, the guy in 1st has a ridiculous SB lead that cant be caught up to. I can tell what the issue is in all cases and what I need to do to fix it. I can't do it without a trade, and I either have nothing to offer the teams that have what I need, or the teams are inactive.

Regardless, my teams will probably be in the top 3. I have one 1st place team all but locked. The other will probably win. My 2nd place team which alternates between 2nd and 3rd, has an outside chance at 1st. Lastly, my 4rth place team will probably end up with 3rd.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rich101682 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am

I thought I had a really great shot at a title. I'm in a 20 team league where you keep 5 players. All 5 of my keepers were on the DL at one point, usually more than one at a time:

Giancarlo Stanton (Missed 6 weeks with a hamstring)
Troy Tulowitzki (Missed 6 weeks with a cracked rib)
Ian Kinsler (Missed 5 weeks with a muscle strain)
Brett Lawrie (Missed 5 weeks with an ankle injury)
Curtis Granderson (Played a total of 8 games in 4 months)

But that's not all. I also had Josh Willingham, Lance Berkman, Brandon McCarthy, Zach McCallister and Brandon Morrow too. From the beginning of May through the end of July, there was never a time when I had less than 5 players on the DL at the same time. We only have 3 DL spots and 5 bench spots in our league.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby converge241 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 pm

bandrus1 wrote:Cool website!

As expected I would be in first in roto and that is while punting saves in the h2h format which I wouldnt do in roto

Your answer then to your posted question is - because you did H2H

;)

H2H is fun to bring in the football element and play with more casual users but stuff like potentially can drive you crazy aka "if I did roto id be in first" rather than being in 6th

just IMHO of course I know some players love it
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby dannahann » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 pm

converge241 wrote:
bandrus1 wrote:Cool website!

As expected I would be in first in roto and that is while punting saves in the h2h format which I wouldnt do in roto

Your answer then to your posted question is - because you did H2H

;)

H2H is fun to bring in the football element and play with more casual users but stuff like potentially can drive you crazy aka "if I did roto id be in first" rather than being in 6th

just IMHO of course I know some players love it

Yeah good old H2H. Every year our $ keeper baseball group does a casual FFB league just to stay in touch (we even name the league "something after basesball"). For the past 5 years in a row I've ended the regular season with the most total points scored. Yet I've missed the playoffs twice (top 4 of 12 get in) and have not even advanced to the Super Bowl once in those five seasons. Such is the luck driven variance of H2H. :-b
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 40)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers