Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Any info on what the settlement offer for ARod was?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:23 pm

silentjim wrote:
silentjim wrote:
TheTrith wrote:Why wouldnt he be able to collect a check? The team cannot force him to retire. They dont have to keep him around, but they do have to pay him whenever his suspension ends.
And Arod does not strike me as the type of player who would leave 100mil on the table just so he can go out quietly and (for him) gracefully.

If he's suspended he won't get paid. If he appeals he will still get paid. His contract decreases significantly moving forward. He's getting paid 28M this season. 25M next season. 21M in 2015 and then 20M in 2016 and 2017. The longer he delays the process and can get his suspension reduced the more money he makes now and the less he doesn't get paid if he can can get banned. He'll lose 8.64 M this season if he was suspended without pay for 50 games. Next season those same 50 games are worth 7.7M. Meaning he'd make almost an additional 1M dollars by appealing and trying to play this season.

https://twitter.com/TylerKepner/status/ ... 5599369217

And there you go. Even if he still serves 211 games, he just earned himself another almost 1M by just filing an appeal and earning his 28M salary in it's entirety this season.

And his time now is worth more than his time later, so it's financially beneficial to be getting paid now instead of later:

2009: $32 million, 2010: $32 million, 2011: $31 million, 2012: $29 million, 2013: $28 million, 2014: $25 million, 2015: $21 million, 2016: $20 million, 2017: $20 million, 2018: Free Agent
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby kab21 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:20 pm

I can understand ARod's appeal and it doesn't have anything to do with 1M. It has everything to do with getting the suspension reduced (100 games?) and it also forces the MLB to show how they collected this evidence. I think this is something that MLB wants to avoid since their hands are likely dirty. They also have to show proof that he obstructed the investigation. This isn't defending ARod. I have no idea what kind of proof they have on him but they have to be able to prove it even if he is showing that he is the scum of the earth at this point.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 177)

Postby TheTrith » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Exactly!
I think it will become evident that Selig and the rest of his MLB cronies deserve to be hung out to dryjust as much as the players for the tacticts they used to intimidate their ''witnesses'' and collective evidence.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 309)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 am

TheTrith wrote:Exactly!
I think it will become evident that Selig and the rest of his MLB cronies deserve to be hung out to dryjust as much as the players for the tacticts they used to intimidate their ''witnesses'' and collective evidence.

those tactics brought down Armstrong and nobody batted an eye
i'll be surprised if it's different here
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AHF » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 am

StlSluggers wrote:
TheTrith wrote:Exactly!

those tactics brought down Armstrong and nobody batted an eye
i'll be surprised if it's different here

I agree, especially since the Union seems on board with this. MLB doesn't have subpoena power so it has to go beyond simply hiring a PI if it wants to get anywhere with PED cheaters. My main issue with baseball is how long they tolerated this behavior from a minority of the players moreso than them having crossed the line in trying to clean things up. Of course, my view on that could change if they crossed some lines that haven't come out yet but I still won't feel bad for the cheaters - just that MLB should bear the consequences of its actions if it did something illegal to get the evidence.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby TheTrith » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:59 am

Don't get me wrong - I have absolutely zero sympathy for any of the cheaters. I think they are all pretty much scum.
However I also feel like MLB is run by equally scummy people, with Selig at the head of the pack, and I hope Arod's appeal brings this to light for the general public. Afterall, it is MLB itself that knowingly allowed PED's to become the issue it is today.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 309)

Postby dannahann » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:43 pm

TheTrith wrote:Don't get me wrong - I have absolutely zero sympathy for any of the cheaters. I think they are all pretty much scum.
However I also feel like MLB is run by equally scummy people, with Selig at the head of the pack, and I hope Arod's appeal brings this to light for the general public. Afterall, it is MLB itself that knowingly allowed PED's to become the issue it is today.

The players union was much more culpable in it becoming such a huge issue in the past than was ownership/the commissioners office. I'm not a Bud Selig fan by any means, but this myth he somehow looked away while PED use became prominent has been massively overblown. They tried to institute much tougher measures for years and were thwarted by the players association. I'm so glad Donald Fehr is out of the way and the union is finally giving some love to cleaner players rather than coercing their silence to drive up salaries "for the benefit of all players". Reminds me, I need to find the time to update my sig, there are a number of other MVP winners in need of 'accolades'.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:59 pm

dannahann wrote:
TheTrith wrote:Don't get me wrong - I have absolutely zero sympathy for any of the cheaters. I think they are all pretty much scum.

The players union was much more culpable in it becoming such a huge issue in the past than was ownership/the commissioners office. I'm not a Bud Selig fan by any means, but this myth he somehow looked away while PED use became prominent has been massively overblown. They tried to institute much tougher measures for years and were thwarted by the players association. I'm so glad Donald Fehr is out of the way and the union is finally giving some love to cleaner players rather than coercing their silence to drive up salaries "for the benefit of all players". Reminds me, I need to find the time to update my sig, there are a number of other MVP winners in need of 'accolades'.

The owners never made it a FIGHT until the public made it something they cared about. The owners were also the ones signing these guys to huge pay checks knowing that something was going on while also raking in the money as attendance sky rocketed. The owners have plenty of blame to take on. Plus now they want to act like they had no part in it. Players at least realized a change needed to take place and they had a part to play to clean it all up. They might have fought it but it did get implemented with no lock out or any other big scandals. The owners haven't taken any blame. They don't get suspended or fined if a player on their team is found using. Everything has been the players conceding, the owners didn't concede anything. I have no love for the owners and I am honestly amazed that Selig is still the commish.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers