Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Looks like A-Rod done through the end of 2014 is all but official.

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:15 pm

From rotoworld's post on ARod's possible suspension (through the end of 2014): "Still, for a 38-year-old who will turn 40 during the 2015 season, it's basically a death sentence for his career."

Still not understanding why it's a lock that he'll be 'physically unable to perform' after a year and a half off. :-?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 125)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:22 pm

jackie hayes wrote:From rotoworld's post on ARod's possible suspension (through the end of 2014): "Still, for a 38-year-old who will turn 40 during the 2015 season, it's basically a death sentence for his career."

Still not understanding why it's a lock that he'll be 'physically unable to perform' after a year and a half off. :-?

History doesn't indicate that there have been many 40 year-olds to successfully play and be productive. When they say 'career', it may mean more towards his 'relevance' and not necessarily mean retirement; although that wouldn't surprise me either.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:02 pm

bigh0rt wrote:History doesn't indicate that there have been many 40 year-olds to successfully play and be productive. When they say 'career', it may mean more towards his 'relevance' and not necessarily mean retirement; although that wouldn't surprise me either.

Sure, but were we expecting a lot out his return this year, anyway? Normal aging curve and some rust goes without saying, but these proclamations I keep seeing of the effective end of ARod's career seem to be expecting something more than that.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:10 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:History doesn't indicate that there have been many 40 year-olds to successfully play and be productive. When they say 'career', it may mean more towards his 'relevance' and not necessarily mean retirement; although that wouldn't surprise me either.

Sure, but were we expecting a lot out his return this year, anyway? Normal aging curve and some rust goes without saying, but these proclamations I keep seeing of the effective end of ARod's career seem to be expecting something more than that.

How many 40 year old non-pitchers are currently playing? How many have in the past five years? I've got to imagine its a staggeringly low number, probably less than 3. Maybe I'm way off. The only one who comes to mind is Raul Ibanez.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:How many 40 year old non-pitchers are currently playing? How many have in the past five years? I've got to imagine its a staggeringly low number, probably less than 3. Maybe I'm way off. The only one who comes to mind is Raul Ibanez.

This year, Ibanez, Giambi, and Henry Blanco are the only ones (huzzah, Fangraphs). But most 40-year olds don't have contracts paying $20M per.

If these statements just mean that ARod won't be any good, that's fine. But calling it a "death sentence" for his career makes it sound (to me, anyway) like he won't be around the game anymore. That's possible -- I could imagine the Yankees just releasing him, just to be done with it. I'm not sure how that (or some other scenario, like retirement) is a done deal. ARod sticking around as a DH doesn't sound too far-fetched to me.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Looks like A-Rod done through the end of 2014 is all but official.

What has a better chance of being active at the start of the 2014 season: A-rod or your busted up phone?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:24 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Looks like A-Rod done through the end of 2014 is all but official.

What has a better chance of being active at the start of the 2014 season: A-rod or your busted up phone?

Hahah, although my phone did look like that until about a month ago when I got it replaced, that's just a screenshot I re-posted from Twitter. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:47 pm

I strongly feel that with the help of newer, better PEDs ARoid will come back to amaze us in all his wonder again. 40 is the new 30, remember? B-)
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Pochucker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Make A-roid the ballboy when he comes back --make him earn his money.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers