Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:36 pm

And then right after that... "If they can reset, they can spend again and I guarantee you in two years Matt Wieters is in New York."

He's thinking short and long term.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mac-unit » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:47 am

dannahann wrote:This is what I've been worried about the whole time. Somehow letting NYY out of the luxury tax implications of that moronic deal they offered A-Roid. They wrote the check, accepted the competitive restraints of doing so, reaped many of the benefits (numerous playoff runs and a 2009 title) and should be obligated TO THE REST OF THE TEAMS IN MLB to the luxury tax burdens incurred. I'm not saying the pay A-ROID, they can pocket that $, just that they pay the competitive debt they owe the other teams in baseball. They've enjoyed such an immense competitive edge over everyone else for so long that essentially this luxury tax is in place to protect the others in the league from $NYY$. It's time to pay the piper. Bud has power to act in 'the best interest of baseball'. There may never be a clearer time to do so. He doesn't even have to mandate they pay it, just that it comes up for vote amongst owners. My guess is the result will be something close to 29-1 if he does so. ;-D

If he's banned for life why should they have to pay the luxury tax? He wouldn't be playing for them
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 114)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 am

Dammit... I wanted this to just get done today. Now the whispers are that it'll wait until Monday.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby dannahann » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm

mac-unit wrote:
dannahann wrote:This is what I've been worried about the whole time. Somehow letting NYY out of the luxury tax implications of that moronic deal they offered A-Roid. They wrote the check, accepted the competitive restraints of doing so, reaped many of the benefits (numerous playoff runs and a 2009 title) and should be obligated TO THE REST OF THE TEAMS IN MLB to the luxury tax burdens incurred. I'm not saying the pay A-ROID, they can pocket that $, just that they pay the competitive debt they owe the other teams in baseball. They've enjoyed such an immense competitive edge over everyone else for so long that essentially this luxury tax is in place to protect the others in the league from $NYY$. It's time to pay the piper. Bud has power to act in 'the best interest of baseball'. There may never be a clearer time to do so. He doesn't even have to mandate they pay it, just that it comes up for vote amongst owners. My guess is the result will be something close to 29-1 if he does so. ;-D

If he's banned for life why should they have to pay the luxury tax? He wouldn't be playing for them

No a lifetime ban isn't what I'm referring to. I'm saying if he's suspended all of next season it would be grossly unfair to everyone else in baseball to let them off the hook for the escalating penalty of busting the cap every single year of its existence (getting every other teams player they wanted as well as re signing all their own good ones) completely scott free. They owe everyone else in baseball for the IOUs they've been writing since the luxury tax was initiated. Let them get under the cap legitimately once and then reset the escalation clause, don't just gift them a free pass. It's just giving the always privileged pinstripers Robbie Cano and 2 or 3 other teams best FA on a platter and they simply don't deserve it. Odds were for once in their silver spoon history they'd be outspent for one of their own coveted players (Cano) but not .f they receive this undeserved gift. When the tax clause was instated no one dreamed a team would bust it every single year and run the escalators up so high, but NYY did. They owe everyone else for the gross privilege they enjoyed so make them get under the cap in 2014 with ARoid's salary applied.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 pm

StlSluggers wrote:If the Yankees are playing for an insurance payoff, then they should have allowed ARod's rumored "return and retire a la Albert Belle" move to go through. Instead, they have been fighting him tooth and nail on coming back to play, which seems to lend credence to the notion that they are more interested in nullifying his contract by allowing the commissioner to ban him for life.

The NYY are for whatever gets them the most money. The ban may get them under the luxury tax cap, but he can stick it to them and return in 2015 as a $29mil bench player. What will collecting on the insurance bring? Will they recover more $$? Will his contract still count towards the luxury tax cap? Can they collect "partial" insurance for the time not played, or can they only collect if they can say he's washed up due to injury?

Ideally you want the most money AND to get out of the luxury tax cap. However, they can prepare for both possibilities: a) getting out from under the cap via ban, or b) going the insurance route.

They're hypocrites though because if he's healthy, then they're play for an insurance payoff is fraudulent. Cheating slimballs can't complain about cheaters.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 84)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Oh and guys, let's not assume NYY is automatically getting the best FAs if they go under the cap.

Remember Cliff Lee? Not that that happens often. Most are just about the money, but it does happen.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

The one people are thinking most about is Cano. They'd be hard-pressed to field a competitive team and sign Cano to an extension without having A-Rod's $25M removed from their luxury tax obligations.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 pm

I guess there's a bit of a double standard on my part here. I'm not upset with Milwaukee for getting some cash savings from the Braun suspension. But the idea that ARod's ridonk contract could just go away without forcing the Yanks to endure the long-term pain they deserve for their idiocy infuriates me. Maybe I just need to accept that good things happen to bad people/organizations.

;-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Garry26 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:38 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I guess there's a bit of a double standard on my part here. I'm not upset with Milwaukee for getting some cash savings from the Braun suspension. But the idea that ARod's ridonk contract could just go away without forcing the Yanks to endure the long-term pain they deserve for their idiocy infuriates me. Maybe I just need to accept that good things happen to bad people/organizations.

;-)

You forget: Even with the A-Rod contract, they can still spend. The only reason this is an issue is because the Stienbrenners weren't lying when they said they'd spend a little less than George. However, a little less crazy is still crazy. They may still go out and spend and damn the torpedoes.

If A-Rods banned his contract is no more right? So he can go play in Japan. Salary is similar. It won't be 100mil, but it won't be $25,000 a month like Manny Ramirez either.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Garry26 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Anyway, it's settled. A-Rod said yesterday at an interview:

"There are a lot of layers," he said after homering Friday night for the Double-A Trenton Thunder in his return from a leg injury. "I will say this: There is more than one party that benefits from me not ever stepping back on the field. And that's not my teammates and it's not the Yankee fans."

"I think we all agree that we want to get rid of PEDs. That's a must. I think all the players, we feel that way. But when all this stuff is going on in the background and people are finding creative ways to cancel your contract and stuff like that, I think that's concerning for me, it's concerning for present — and I think it should be concerning for future players, as well."
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers