Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Updating other PED threads: latest possibilities?

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Element wrote:
hot4tx wrote:I think Cruz will be gone next. Being a FA next year I think he'll want to get it out of the way this year. I've heard rumors that the A's think the information on Colon is only about what he was taking when he already got caught and served a suspension. If so they've already punished him once and he wouldn't get popped again. Though I still don't believe that a guy that's been caught cheating can have his best year of his career close to 40 years old without reasonable suspicion that he's still been using.

With the Rangers fighting for a post season spot I can't imagine that they would prefer that he just takes the suspension. I'd expect an appeal. If he has to sit for 50 games to begin next season he'll have 100 more to show teams that he's still capable ... or not.

Unless TEX gets Rios, which could be their contingency plan for Cruz...ditto the A's with Peavy & Colon.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:30 am

I don't know why I'd never considered that ARod wouldn't get paid if banned for life

Buck Showalter steamed at Yanks' possible A-Rod windfall

The longer Alex Rodriguez could be suspended, the more it could help the New York Yankees. And that infuriates Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter.

Forget the money and drugs — it's competitive imbalance that has Showalter steamed.

Showalter, who managed Rodriguez on the Texas Rangers, says he has no interest in discussing the suspension possibilities surrounding the Yankees third baseman but is taking aim at how New York could benefit.

Getting Rodriguez's $25 million salary off their 2014 books would effectively reset a Yankees payroll projected to exceed a $189 million luxury tax threshold the club hoped to slip under. And if they're freed from the $86 million owed Rodriguez from 2014 to '17? Showalter fears Commissioner Bud Selig's zeal to ban Rodriguez might turn the Yankees into free agent predators again.

"If Bud lets them get away with that, they're under the luxury tax," Showalter told USA TODAY Sports. "If they can reset, they can spend again and I guarantee you in two years Matt Wieters is in New York."

Wieters, the Orioles catcher, would be eligible for free agency after the 2015 season, though it's likely the Orioles would attempt to sign the 27-year-old to an extension in the meantime.

But a Yankees ledger freed of any A-Rod commitments would alter the market for many players.

Selig might want to come down hard on Rodriguez as part of the Biogenesis investigation, but has no choice in the luxury tax issue because the rule is part of the labor agreement.

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the portion of a player's salary that he does not collect while suspended also does not count toward his team's payroll and the luxury tax threshold.

Rodriguez is to be paid $25 million in 2014. Subtract that – even the $15 million were he to be suspended 100 games – and the Yankees not only would have a better chance of staying under $189 million, but also might be able to afford to add players.

In 2007, coming off a 52-homer season that netted him a third AL MVP award, Rodriguez opted out of a 10-year, $252 million contract originally signed with the Texas Rangers. The Yankees nonetheless re-upped Rodriguez for 10 years and $275 million shortly thereafter.

Rodriguez's decline began almost immediately. He needed hip surgery after the 2008 season, but rebounded to play a key role in the Yankees' run to the 2009 World Series title.

But Rodriguez's on-base plus slugging percentage (OPS) declined every season after 2007. A second hip surgery in January ensured he'd miss the first half of this season; the Biogenesis flap that broke weeks later put him in MLB's firing line.

Now, it may give his team a get-out-of-jail-free card.

"They're the ones who signed him to that contract," Showalter said of the Yankees.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Garry26 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:00 pm

A-Rod will fight the suspension because the deal they offered him is a non-deal.

Why?
He's 38 and will be 40 in 2015. He will be washed up and done by defualt. Next year is probably his last year as a productive full time player. Look at Manny Ramirez. In 2010 he was a nice bench/DH guy and he was 38.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby Garry26 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 pm

@ StlSluggers
The Yankees are also angry at A-rod for not shutting up. During an interview Cashman said A-rod should shut up, when A-rod tweeted about his rehab progress. Then they fined him when he got a second medical opinion w/o team approval.

Why? Because the Yankees want to recoup a large part of Arods salary by collecting on A-Rods injury insurance. They can't do that if Arod runs his mouth and shows that he's ready and willing to play.

In short, they are pissed at him for ruining the underhanded scheme. Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me. Cheating is wrong for Arod, but what they are doing isn't cheating. Oh no.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:22 pm

If the Yankees are playing for an insurance payoff, then they should have allowed ARod's rumored "return and retire a la Albert Belle" move to go through. Instead, they have been fighting him tooth and nail on coming back to play, which seems to lend credence to the notion that they are more interested in nullifying his contract by allowing the commissioner to ban him for life.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby dannahann » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:38 pm

This is what I've been worried about the whole time. Somehow letting NYY out of the luxury tax implications of that moronic deal they offered A-Roid. They wrote the check, accepted the competitive restraints of doing so, reaped many of the benefits (numerous playoff runs and a 2009 title) and should be obligated TO THE REST OF THE TEAMS IN MLB to the luxury tax burdens incurred. I'm not saying the pay A-ROID, they can pocket that $, just that they pay the competitive debt they owe the other teams in baseball. They've enjoyed such an immense competitive edge over everyone else for so long that essentially this luxury tax is in place to protect the others in the league from $NYY$. It's time to pay the piper. Bud has power to act in 'the best interest of baseball'. There may never be a clearer time to do so. He doesn't even have to mandate they pay it, just that it comes up for vote amongst owners. My guess is the result will be something close to 29-1 if he does so. ;-D
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 55)

Postby jorgesca » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm

I hate the Yankees and I don't agree at all that they should pay up. How they are doing it is what's wrong, not what it would mean if they somehow got it.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:46 pm

It's not the $25M people are complaining about, it's the fact that they essentially get to bypass the rule that you need to be under the luxury tax threshold for one season. Conveniently having $25M off the books for the single season they had targeted to be under the threshold is the issue. It's not like the Yankees forced A-Rod to use steroids, or forced MLB to wait until now to punish him, so I don't really have a problem with it.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Skin Blues wrote:It's not the $25M people are complaining about

It's certainly what Buck was complaining about, among other things.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:56 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:It's not the $25M people are complaining about

It's certainly what Buck was complaining about, among other things.

Nope. He's complaining that it gets them under the luxury tax threshold and allows them to spend more money. The quotes from that article were pretty explicit in that regard: "If Bud lets them get away with that, they're under the luxury tax. If they can reset, they can spend again".
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers