Need to revamp and reinvigorate site. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need to revamp and reinvigorate site.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need to revamp and reinvigorate site.

Postby Philomath » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 pm

I've been here a long time too (used to be Mugwump then my gif got screwy and had to re-create new sig) and remember when the forums were on fire. Nowadays I just stop in to read what others post. Basically, I'm just here lurking and not contributing much anymore. My guess is that there are more that do the same. Also, not sure about the rest of you, but nearing 40 you start to put time elsewhere. Keeping fingers crossed that others have time to rekindle glory days.
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Great to hear that there are going to be some changes here. This was the best fantasy site on the net at one time and hopefully the changes will make it that again. ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Element » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 am

Curious to know if there are any updates that can be provided on this. IMO, activity continues to drop.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm curious... are there ANY flourishing forums right now? Not only in terms of quantity, but quality participation?

I'm asking because I was just wondering if maybe people have moved on to other media.

It's that same conversation I keep starting... everything is served to us on a silver platter with technology. The whole fantasy baseball experience just seems to be completely different than it was just eight years ago. Are people even seeking out forum-style communication about fantasy sports?

I used to know all the players and who was doing what. Now I only know my own team. I remember at the 2012 draft being stunned that Jhoulys Chacin logged almost 200 IP in 2011. I thought he was an August call-up. This year I was shocked to find out Arenado won a gold glove. Last I recall he was languishing in the minors because he had some growing up to do. He had nearly 500 ab's! Sheesh! I have less baseball knowledge now than ever. On CBS I check live stats, adjust my lineup, and look at my player updates. No wonder I have no idea what's going on out there.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby West » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Just thought I'd stick my head in and say Hi. I haven't posted much over the last year or two. I do contribute a lot in the Closer Thread every year. I still check in a lot and post if something piques my interest. I noticed this spring that there are fewer topics out there and less participation. I used to do a large amount of "research" just perusing the posts on here. Now I go to other blogs, read articles at Fangraphs, etc... Well, anyhow, the Closer Thread is still a great resource and you'll find me on there throughout the season.

Nice to see some familiar faces anyhow.

Regards - West
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Element wrote:Curious to know if there are any updates that can be provided on this. IMO, activity continues to drop.

I haven't heard anything new about the new site, but I'd have to believe it's a work in progress. The big problem right now seems to stem from a SEO perspective, as in redirecting links (especially if there's a new convention to naming links for the new site).

FWIW, I'm glad it's not happening soon while it's draft season.

Sticky Spice wrote:It's that same conversation I keep starting... everything is served to us on a silver platter with technology. The whole fantasy baseball experience just seems to be completely different than it was just eight years ago. Are people even seeking out forum-style communication about fantasy sports?

I view forums the same way I do neighborhood bars and pubs. There are plenty of them but they each have a character, an ambiance, a community, and a wealth of constructive discussion that's hard to find elsewhere. Most of all, they serve a need, even if it's not readily apparent. You can set up a similar community on Facebook or Reddit, like the Cafe, but it might suffer from a lower signal-to-noise ratio because of it.

Yes, there's a wealth of fantasy baseball content anywhere else and yes, blogs can also act as de facto discussion forums. I think the forums still have a place in today's web, if anything as a platform to ask questions and get immediate feedback. Perhaps, they need to be redesigned and repurposed in a slightly different way that feels more like a site to frequent and hang out in the context and standards of today's web.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby TheTrith » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Who owns this forum?
Does he/she post here at all?
If they dont participate in fantasy baseball anymore then its pretty unlikely anything is updated.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 282)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 pm

TheTrith wrote:Who owns this forum?
Does he/she post here at all?
If they dont participate in fantasy baseball anymore then its pretty unlikely anything is updated.

MochaBean does...he posted on the second page in this thread. He also owns EDraft, which usually has a banner running at the top of the screen.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby MochaBean » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Yup, I'm here and still trying to move things along. Still a challenge due to work commitments and a young family but I'm doing my best. If you have any questions, feel free to message me directly. I've got a re-design ready but need to migrate and update a few things first for it to work properly… which is a lot of work in itself. Cheers!
MochaBean
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

ModeratorHockey ModBasketball ModFootball Mod
(Past Year: 5)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Good to hear from you Mocha, and for those of you non-Cafeholics, he has been throwing up occasional updates and plans in that super-secret forum, so there is work being done, it's just not visible.

I say take your time and get it right, a rushed product (Yahoo), is not necessarily the best product.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers