Need to revamp and reinvigorate site. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need to revamp and reinvigorate site.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need to revamp and reinvigorate site.

Postby paisano1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Alright cool, it sounds like everyone is on board. I suppose since i started the thread and completley hear duallez out that i should step up to the plate first. PhpBB is the software used to power this forum. I have used this software before and making changes to a forum is quite fast and easy because there is no code to change.

Give me 2 hours and I will cut the fat off this forum.
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby paisano1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm going to create a template of what I think the home page should look like as the new is pathetic. People come here and first thing they see us a home page that looks dead....... So they leave.

The forums are the bread and butter of this site and should be displayed front and center on the homepage along with a left sidebar for stories, rankings, depth charts, etc etc. and a right side bar for current developments.....twitter, ap, lineups.

Basic, bold, and to the point is the theme we should go with.
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 am

While I agree with you RJ, writing an article and seeing that there were only 25 views and maybe one or two comments in the discussion forum is a huge bummer for people who took the time to write and edit the articles. At least it was for me. I also think the boom of twitter has really killed the need for a site like this. Before, I would come here to see what types of rumors about trades, some game commentary to see how certain pitchers looked, etc. Now I can just open up twitter and scroll for 2-3 mins and get all the info I used to get here.

The "family" and "community" aspect is what kept me coming back even after all these things but now, it's a like everyone left for college. All your old friends pop their head in on holidays but have found greener pastures.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:30 am

paisano1 wrote:Give me 2 hours and I will cut the fat off this forum.

I'm not entirely sure how far along they are but I'd imagine they are at least half way done completely revamping the whole site...not just trimming fat. So we'd need to get the head guy in here to maybe give an update on the progress and what kind of help he's needing.

But yes, paisano1, I'm sure they'd very much welcome the help from you. And I will thank you now for that help too!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:30 am

daullaz wrote:Right, and those are things that could get done if we had people with programming backgrounds volunteering time for the site. My point is that this is a collaborative place, and if a bunch of people don't like something but no one has the knowledge, expertise or willingness to help fix it, it's not going to get done.

Nothing I suggested requires any programming background at all. Put articles in a new thread which is stickied, schedule the CV threads, and revamp the subforums. I'm sure they have much more in mind than those basic ideas, but this place does in fact make money (or at least it used to). So there is incentive for the owner(s) to keep it up to date without expecting the user base to do all the work for them. Imagine if Google blamed users for not designing and implementing updates to GMail and Maps.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby daullaz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:55 am

Skin Blues wrote:
daullaz wrote:Right, and those are things that could get done if we had people with programming backgrounds volunteering time for the site. My point is that this is a collaborative place, and if a bunch of people don't like something but no one has the knowledge, expertise or willingness to help fix it, it's not going to get done.

Nothing I suggested requires any programming background at all. Put articles in a new thread which is stickied, schedule the CV threads, and revamp the subforums. I'm sure they have much more in mind than those basic ideas, but this place does in fact make money (or at least it used to). So there is incentive for the owner(s) to keep it up to date without expecting the user base to do all the work for them. Imagine if Google blamed users for not designing and implementing updates to GMail and Maps.

Well, to be clear, this isn't the same as your Google example. This is more akin to one Firefox user asking for new features in Firefox, and another Firefox user saying that Firefox is a collaborative effort and that there are ways to get into the developmental process if they want to pursue those ideas.

If you want articles going into a new thread and stop posting individually to Leftovers, I imagine that would involving changing something in the code of the site. I don't handle the back-end, so I can't be sure. I also don't know how familiar the new owner is with the back-end structure that the old owner established, especially since he's working on a complete overhaul of the site, both on the front-end and back-end.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm

The Cafe is finally unblocked at work so I came here only to basically see what I would consider a ghost town.

I was posting more a year ago and I remember GT would have around 10 active topics going at once most of which were highly entertaining. The boards here are only as good as those posting and it seems as though it has dropped off a good amount.

While away I was stuck posting on ESPN boards :-P . There is a lot of good on this site and over time I would like to think the discussions held on here even made me a better fan of the game.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby MochaBean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi Guys,

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Adrian (Mochabean) - I'm the one who bought the site from menyak last year. I echo J35J + RJ's thoughts regarding the site. It's got a great base but needs the collaboration of volunteers to keep it going (along with some optimization/pruning and such). I must admit, a lot of it needs to be pushed forward by me so I've got to shelf some of my workload and get things moving faster on a New Cafe. It is still something I really want to do... I just need to figure out how as my workday is typically 10-12 hours + family life after that! Anyways, we've got a great foundation of people and I think you will see the Cafe get rejuvenated after a website re-design + upgrade. I'm happy that there have been some volunteers to help out with this task. If anyone else is interested, definitely let me know. Until then, appreciate your patience and I hope you will continue to help support the site by participating in the threads or contributing articles whenever you can.

Cheers!
Adrian
MochaBean
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

ModeratorHockey ModBasketball ModFootball Mod
(Past Year: 4)

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

MochaBean wrote:Hi Guys,

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Adrian (Mochabean) - I'm the one who bought the site from menyak last year. I echo J35J + RJ's thoughts regarding the site. It's got a great base but needs the collaboration of volunteers to keep it going (along with some optimization/pruning and such). I must admit, a lot of it needs to be pushed forward by me so I've got to shelf some of my workload and get things moving faster on a New Cafe. It is still something I really want to do... I just need to figure out how as my workday is typically 10-12 hours + family life after that! Anyways, we've got a great foundation of people and I think you will see the Cafe get rejuvenated after a website re-design + upgrade. I'm happy that there have been some volunteers to help out with this task. If anyone else is interested, definitely let me know. Until then, appreciate your patience and I hope you will continue to help support the site by participating in the threads or contributing articles whenever you can.

Cheers!
Adrian

;-D As I mentioned I used to post here a lot but faded...looking to help out. There are some very good baseball minds in the cafe and hopefully things turn around!

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:46 pm

I very excited to hear about the upcoming changes here at the cafe. This is still my go to place for fantasy info. I'm not a big fan of twitter.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers