Need to revamp and reinvigorate site. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need to revamp and reinvigorate site.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby paisano1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 pm

I have no idea who runs the show around here but this site and especially the forum section is in desperate need of a tune up. This site has never been slower than it is now, its like an aging dinosaur. As the rest of the fantasy sports site world evolves the cafe is just dying and I don't like it. I would mainly like to see this site survive because I think the concept is fantastic. It's right up most of our alleys, a place to go where we can talk to other fantasy owners just like us and share our opinions. So how is this site not flourishing?

Well just a few ideas to maybe jump start some changes. The Forum section needs to be consolidated, there are sub-categories that have not had a post in over a year, delete the community tasks section, no one uses it now a days. I also suggest getting rid of the team forums. This site is for fantasy sports no? The logo request can also go to the wayside as posts generally go unanswered.

Keeping focus on baseball,football,hockey,basketball would also be in the best interest of the site. There are specialty sites for niche sports like nascar,soccer,golf. No one is coming here for those sports.

Also people like to talk about prospects, buy low/ sell high canidates, and sabrmetrics. It might be in the sites best interest to create a section for these topics.

I know it's just a few ideas but lets hear what everyone else has to say and we can all brainstorm to come up with a great new site. What do you guys think?
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need to revamp and reinvigorate site.

Postby kab21 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:35 pm

This is actually a work in progress since many of us have been frustrated just like you. The good news is that there is now a person in power that is listening and making plans for exactly what you are talking about. Even though this upgrade is a side project to real life work and other websites, I am confident that it's going to happen someday.

We (long-timers) have complained about this for years and I think our prayers have been answered. I'm not really an old-timer though. Ayebatter OTOH is both ancient (spends his days golfing - lucky bastard) and he's been here since Fernando-mania swept though LA. I think that was actually the last time the forum was upgraded.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby jorgesca » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:03 pm

I only have the Baseball Leftovers section bookmarked and I don't think I'm missing much in the other sections. I do agree a clean up is in need.
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 am

Sigh...These concerns have been brought up for the past 5 years it seems like and really, I feel like it's too late. So many great minds here and they've all flown the coup, (including myself).

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Thursday » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 am

I used to be very active on this site around 2004-2006, when it was flourishing. But, as i think the saying goes, all things must come to an end, and I believe the Cafe's time is nigh.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah.. Leftovers and general talk are the only place you need to be on this site. (General talkers need to pick it up, though. That zone has been dead for a while.)

Site needs an upgrade. I still stop by every day, but I'm not nearly as active as I used to be. There's a lot of really great guys on here that I haven't seen in quite a while.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby daullaz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:51 pm

I would say that you get what you put in to the Cafe. This isn't a big-business site with a corporate infrastructure it can rely on like some of the other main fantasy sites. This site has always been owned by a single person who has relied on the voluntary work and the enthusiasm of the Cafe's users to generate content and help make the site what they want it to be.

For instance, the general thought was that the article content on the site was lacking five or so years ago. I decided I'd like to start a career as a fantasy writer, so I jumped in and organized a regular writing schedule that gave us new daily content for at least an entire season, with much of that being generated by myself. That quickly led to a paying job as a fantasy writer in addition to my office job, and because of that, I haven't had the time to volunteer more than an article and a podcast each week. However, I accomplished my goal of getting into fantasy writing very quickly and couldn't be happier with how the Cafe was able to help me achieve it. The blueprint exists for someone else to step up and take that path, or a similar path if they want to be involved in something other than writing.

There was a book called "Wikinomics" that came out right in that period that people consider the Golden Age of the Cafe (2006-ish). It basically said that the old way of doing business is dead because the Net Generation had become an era of mass collaboration (from Linux to Firefox to blogs to Wikipedia to Myspace to Facebook and so on) that empowers consumers to be part of the production process. I think this site, with its reliance on its community, really embraced this philosophy very early on. An impressive amount of people stepped up behind the scenes and still volunteer their time to keep the site running, but I don't think there were or are enough of those people, or the specific type of people to fill the voids that would keep the site fresh and current.

TL;DR: I think this is "your" site more than any other fantasy site on the Internet, for better or worse. If you feel like the Cafe isn't as great as it used to be, it's most likely because the people that made it great gave it all they had and when they ran out of steam, no one stepped up to carry the torch. However, we do have a great core of people behind the scenes working on a new design and a reboot of the site that'll update the perception of the Cafe on the surface. At that point, I just hope that the Cafe community at large puts in the effort to make the site what they want it to be to match the Cafe 2.0 look. The mere idea of that type of mass collaboration fantasy site that we all do our part to make successful is something I believe that we can accomplish, and it's something I want to be a part of.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:07 pm

You get what you put in, sure, but the infrastructure still kinda sucks. There's a billion sub forums and only one is ever really used. The articles are good, the content is good. But new articles should be made more prominent, instead of just a thread started with a link to the article and a truncated 200 words or something from the article itself. If Daullaz is submitting an article why not just have him create and sticky a thread? It would foster more discussion. Something as simple as having the entire article in the threads that are as of now posted by the WebHamster would go a long way to helping. They could be archived in the articles section as well for posterity. It's clear that everybody spends their time in the Leftovers forum discussing things so to redirect people to a separate, clunky part of the forum to discuss articles makes no sense.

And like others have said, relevant sub-forums for things that people actually talk about would help. For the most part they exist, but they get lost in all the other subforums. I know the daily cheering/venting has been working OK (thanks to those that put in the work on them, it is much appreciated). But again, if they were stickied and maybe had more structure for who is to create them then it might work even better. Maybe a different person each day is assigned to it, and if they can't do it they can ask somebody else, or other people can request to start contributing some. This isn't a major gripe because it's worked pretty well. But if you know for instance that you always do the CV thread on Wednesdays then you can prepare something more indepth than doing it in the spur of the moment when you get home from work on Wednesday afternoon.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby J35J » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Skin Blues wrote:You get what you put in, sure, but the infrastructure still kinda sucks. There's a billion sub forums and only one is ever really used. The articles are good, the content is good. But new articles should be made more prominent, instead of just a thread started with a link to the article and a truncated 200 words or something from the article itself. If Daullaz is submitting an article why not just have him create and sticky a thread? It would foster more discussion. Something as simple as having the entire article in the threads that are as of now posted by the WebHamster would go a long way to helping. They could be archived in the articles section as well for posterity. It's clear that everybody spends their time in the Leftovers forum discussing things so to redirect people to a separate, clunky part of the forum to discuss articles makes no sense.

And like others have said, relevant sub-forums for things that people actually talk about would help. For the most part they exist, but they get lost in all the other subforums. I know the daily cheering/venting has been working OK (thanks to those that put in the work on them, it is much appreciated). But again, if they were stickied and maybe had more structure for who is to create them then it might work even better. Maybe a different person each day is assigned to it, and if they can't do it they can ask somebody else, or other people can request to start contributing some. This isn't a major gripe because it's worked pretty well. But if you know for instance that you always do the CV thread on Wednesdays then you can prepare something more indepth than doing it in the spur of the moment when you get home from work on Wednesday afternoon.

Most of this, I believe, is being addressed.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby daullaz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Right, and those are things that could get done if we had people with programming backgrounds volunteering time for the site. My point is that this is a collaborative place, and if a bunch of people don't like something but no one has the knowledge, expertise or willingness to help fix it, it's not going to get done.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers