Yahoo! Player position eligibility question... thanks! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo! Player position eligibility question... thanks!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo! Player position eligibility question... thanks!

Postby TheGhost » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 pm

So I understand how a player gains position eligibility in the yahoo fantasy format. However, I'm a little confused on how position eligibility is determined for the following year. Thoughts? Thanks! ;-D
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo! Player position eligibility question... thanks!

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm

At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo! Sports placed all players into positions based partially on information from official rosters but focusing mainly on past performance. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions.
That's the only literature I can find on the matter.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:31 pm

I only have a minute, so this answer might not be 100% accurate, but it will get you a looooong way.

- In general, we look at what positions a guy qualified for the previous year, and that is what they start the year with.
- If I guy played but didn't qualify for any positions the previous year, I *think* we give him whatever he played most.
- If he didn't play at all the previous year, we just trust what our provider tells us for his position. We used to wait for him to play and see what position he played, but that caused more problems than it solved (I believe Johnny Cueto and Alexei Ramirez were players in that discussion).
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby hot4tx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:39 pm

So then if Edwin Encarnacion gets one more start at 3B - he'd have 10 starts there - it's likely (not written in stone but likely) that he'd start out with 3B elig for 2014? O:-)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:55 pm

hot4tx wrote:So then if Edwin Encarnacion gets one more start at 3B - he'd have 10 starts there - it's likely (not written in stone but likely) that he'd start out with 3B elig for 2014? O:-)

In that scenario, he definitely would. I can say with authority that we don't take away qualified positions in the following season.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Return to Baseball Leftovers