Surging Lately, Do I Need to Make Moves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Surging Lately, Do I Need to Make Moves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Surging Lately, Do I Need to Make Moves?

Postby bcdavis31 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 am

My team has been pretty hot the past few weeks and I've come from 5th to being 2.5 games out of 1st. It has primarily been on the back of my success in hitting categories, but I also take 2-3 pitching categories a week at least. Can you please help see where I may have some weak spots, or room for improvement? I wouldn't be opposed to making some moves in the next few weeks.

12-Man H2H, Categories: Batting (H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG), Pitching (W, S, K, ERA, WHIP)

C: B. Posey
1B: A. Pujols
2B: J. Kipnis
3B: A. Beltre
SS: J. Lowrie
OF: C. Beltran
OF: S. Choo
OF: B. Gardner
UTIL: D. Jennings
UTIL: P. Alvarez
BN: S. Castro
BN: A. Dunn
BN: T. Frazier
BN: J. Morneau

I've been moving Jennings and Gardner in and out of that last OF position. UTIL rolls a lot. I like to get Dunn in there with Alvarez every now and then for an extra shot at a couple HRs. I really use all of these players to an extent (other than Morneau as of late).

SP: C. Lee
SP: C. Sabathia
RP: G. Perkins
RP: R. Brothers
P: K. Uehara
P: J. Benoit
P: M. Cain
P: J. Hellickson
BN: B. Colon
DL: R. Betancourt

I get all of my guys in for their starts, usually by just swapping Hellickson or Colon to the BN after their start so the other one is active later in the week. Currently just have Brothers while Betancourt is on the DL.

Again, I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can give. Given how I've been playing the past few weeks against some quality teams in our league, I think I may be able to make a run, and I want to make any necessary moves to give me a shot at that.

Thanks for your help!
bcdavis31
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Surging Lately, Do I Need to Make Moves?

Postby NYG1119 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 am

Okay, I think the first thing you need to do is address your starting rotation. Now I'm not sure what the average number of SP's each team has but you only have 5 in Lee, Colon, Hellickson, C.C, and Cain. If you could clarify the categories as well I would appreciate it because I am wondering if you forgot to add that quality starts are a category or if it is 6 hitting and 5 pitching. Also is there roster limits on the number of SP or P in general you can have? Also is it a keeper league?

If that's the case with pitching being only 5 categories, it would be a little less important but still something to work on.

Now the one move that I would probably do is to see what SP you can get for one of your speedy outfielders. Since you have 3, you probably can part with one. It would lock your OF up in having to always start Beltran + 2 Speedy, but if you don't mind having that inflexibility to improve your SP then it's a good deal. I would say try to get a solid #2 for Choo.

Once I know everything else I'll give you some more input.

viewtopic.php?t=463622
NYG1119
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bcdavis31 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks for your help.

There's no limit to the number of pitchers you can have, except that there are 2 SP spots, 2 RP spots, and 4 P spots that are available to place any pitcher in. Some teams have those 4 spots split between SPs and RPs, some load up on SPs and essentially forgo the SAVES category each week. There are also 5 available BN spots that are split between hitters and pitchers.

Quality starts is not a category in our league, it is 6 hitting categories and 5 pitching. The categories are WINS, SAVES, STRIKEOUTS, ERA, and WHIP.

Thanks again for your advice. I'll definitely start looking around for a solid starting pitcher.
bcdavis31
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NYG1119 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Ok thanks for clearing that up...it's ironic because I also use the "F*ck Saves" category. But yeah I would def. look to grab another solid starter. Team is pretty solid so when everyone is on, which they are now during your surge, you can contend.
NYG1119
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team