Roto Categories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto Categories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto Categories

Postby Element » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:18 pm

My main cash league was established back in 1995 & has basically kept the same set of rules (with minor adjustments) since 1999. Here is a basic overview:

12 team, 5x5 (BA, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, ERA, W, SV, K, WHIP)
(C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, UI, UI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, P (x9)) DH qualify as OF
No bench. 10 Add/drops per season (unlimited DL/ML slots; these moves do not count against you).

One issue in the league is that closers are virtually worthless. Everyone drafts closers during the auction with the upper tier guys barely exceeding $10. Then I feel like it's a mad dash to get a lead in the category. If you don't get to 75th percentile you can begin to dump closers and and chase Wins and Strikeouts (sacrificing one category to prosper in two). By August, there will be 10+ closers sitting on waivers.

We passed a couple of new rules for 2014 that would replace SV with SV+HD and another that would cap IP at 1500 innings. Is this enough or have other leagues you've been in do something different? I had thought about replacing K and K9 as well or somehow using some more new age stats to help balance out the scoring categories. I attempting to replace OBP with Walk Rate to no avail.

I'm interesting in receiving some feedback. Hopefully not too many of my league mates are completely stuck in their ways.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roto Categories

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:54 pm

If you use a reasonable IP limit then every counting stat becomes a rate stat. Closers should not be worthless, how could teams be so far apart from each other in that category that it's not beneficial to pick one up, especially considering most of them offer help in ERA and WHIP? I guess having no IP limit hurts all relievers' value, but I just can't imagine this scenario. It's like reverse collusion, with everybody agreeing to punt saves.

AVG and OBP are different enough to have separate categories. Usually it's one or the other but I see no problem using both. A high BABIP will help both categories but then again HR and RBI correlate very well, as do ERA and WHIP. To be honest I think adding the IP limit will help a lot. Another thing I'd like to see is capping individual positions at 150 GP instead of 162. You need a ton of bench guys to cycle into your lineup in order to reach 162 at every position which to me seems silly. I know some leagues don't use a GP limit at all which is even worse, and just throws a huge wrench into the plans of any team that has way more injuries than should be expected. I like the outcome to be controlled by the owners rather than by random chance. For that reason, using QS instead of W would be a nice change.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 174)

Re: Roto Categories

Postby ayebatter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:51 am

1500 - 1600 innings works fine

avg & obp are fine unless one of them are at the expense of a counting stat like hr/rbi/runs/sb

I'm still for wins over QS
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1446)

Return to Baseball Leftovers