Troy Tulowitzki for Mariano Rivera. Fair? Opinions Wanted! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Troy Tulowitzki for Mariano Rivera. Fair? Opinions Wanted!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Troy Tulowitzki for Mariano Rivera. Fair? Opinions Wanted!

Postby KeshaIsAmazing » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Roughly during the second week of May, there was a trade in a Fantasy league that ruffled a few feathers.

Troy Tulowitzki for Mariano Rivera.

The person who obtained Tulowitzki is defiant in his argument that the trade was 100% fair because he is assuming all the risk because Tulowitzki has a nasty habit of landing on the DL. Of course this happened on June 15th, and it appears like he will return this weekend, meaning he will have missed four weeks, or 28 games out of a 162 game season (so far, of course).

The people that find this trade unfair use the argument that because closers essentially get you one category,"save"s and their ADP shows this, since Tulowitzki's ADP was 14, Mariano Rivera's was 118. And that Tulowitzki could be a top 5 player, if he wasn't so injury prone as he is hitting .347 with 16 home runs and 51 runs batted in, while Rivera is third in the AL with 29 saves. The closers ahead of him are Joe Nathan (ADP 180 ), Jim Johnson (ADP 132 ) and behind Rivera are Grant Balfour (ADP 185), Addison Reed (185), Jason Grilli (ADP 190) and Edward Mujica (undrafted). Not to mention that Rivera did only play in 9 games in 2012.

FAIR or UNFAIR.

I believe in the knowledge within this here cafe should bring forth an end to this debate.
KeshaIsAmazing
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Troy Tulowitzki for Mariano Rivera. Fair? Opinions Wante

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:20 am

Well I don't think you can veto it (because the timing was great).
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1936)

Postby RasmusFlow » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22 am

Very UNFAIR. When Tulo hit the DL I was still getting offers of like Fielder or Bautista, and I considered that buying low because Tulo is just that good. When healthy, he ALWAYS produces. Yes, "when healthy" is a big part of it, but when he is he can carry fantasy teams at SS. Considering that his injury wasn't that serious and he was scheduled for an early return, I think this trade is just horrible. Tulo for any closer straight up is a bad deal.
RasmusFlow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 44)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:15 am

RasmusFlow wrote:Very UNFAIR. When Tulo hit the DL I was still getting offers of like Fielder or Bautista, and I considered that buying low because Tulo is just that good. When healthy, he ALWAYS produces. Yes, "when healthy" is a big part of it, but when he is he can carry fantasy teams at SS. Considering that his injury wasn't that serious and he was scheduled for an early return, I think this trade is just horrible. Tulo for any closer straight up is a bad deal.

I agree. There is no justification for this outside of the "Tulo may get hurt" theory. Anyone may get hurt. The risk for Tulo was known on draft day and people picked him in the first few rounds knowing that anyway. Rivera I am sure went in the middle rounds. I would have no trouble vetoing this deal.

I am always amazed how owners that know they are ripping someone off badly sit around and try to come up with cute and/or contorted defenses for their actions when called out for it. They can spin it however they like, it is still a BAD deal as no one in their right mind trades the far and away number one SS in MLB for a 40+ year old closer who was drafted probably an avg of 10 rounds later. I would just veto it and be done with it.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions