Sell Puig in a Keeper league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Sell Puig in a Keeper league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sell Puig in a Keeper league?

Postby DistractedX » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm currently in first place in my 12 team 5x5 roto keeper league, but I really need middle infield help. I could quite possibly deal puig for cano to the dodger team in our league. Currently my roster is

Wilin Rosario
Prince Fielder
Jed Gyorko
Everth Cabrera
Manny Machado
Mike Trout
Carlos Gomez
Yasiel Puig
And Allen Craig in the util spot.
My bench is weak, Marcel Ozuna, Miguel Sano, and Taveras.

Our keeper system works like this, you keep 6 players of actual rank above 100 and 6 below, this is where the dilemma comes in because even if puig hits a metaphorical wall this season his keeper value would be a lot higher if he doesn't do good this year because then I can keep more of my elite pitching, Harvey, Sale, Scherzer, Miller. Also on my pitcching staff is kimbrel, Chapman, freiri, cingrani, wheeler, and cole.
DistractedX
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sell Puig in a Keeper league?

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Deal him. You are in to win now and that is what is important. Last year I dealt Harper in a keeper league to make a run at the championship. Won the league basically because of that deal and while it is tough to see Harper not on my team, winning the league was a lot sweeter.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jcave24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 am

Do it. As I posted elsewhere, Puig is swinging and missing at a rate unlike anyone in the majors with a 19% swinging strike rate ( for perspective: BJ Upton at 15%, Cespedes at 12%, Fielder at 9%) and a 67% contact rate. The moment they stop throwing this guy strikes on the first pitch, he's toast, and I have a feeling that there is a more-than-prolonged slump coming. Deal him and don't look back, because you need to go win this thing.
jcave24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:04 am

jcave24 wrote:Do it. As I posted elsewhere, Puig is swinging and missing at a rate unlike anyone in the majors with a 19% swinging strike rate ( for perspective: BJ Upton at 15%, Cespedes at 12%, Fielder at 9%) and a 67% contact rate. The moment they stop throwing this guy strikes on the first pitch, he's toast, and I have a feeling that there is a more-than-prolonged slump coming. Deal him and don't look back, because you need to go win this thing.

I agree with this. Puig is good. But he is not going to remain THIS good. His value is sky high right now. If you can get Cano for him, I would make that deal.

I am thinking about trading away an expensive Miggy to get a cheap CarGo in a keeper league. Can you help with advice on this one?
viewtopic.php?t=463188
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Emerald City Blues » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I second that. You should be able to get great top-50 value for Puig from a mid-to-low-end team that is starved for keepers or OFs, and who that doesnt care about small sample sizes, outrageous swinging strike rates, & unsustainable babips.....

I was a Puig owner. I made him the cornerstone of a deal where I got Jay Bruce, Felix Hernandez, and Koji Uehara in return. Sell high my friend, but don't sell short.

jcave24 wrote:Do it. As I posted elsewhere, Puig is swinging and missing at a rate unlike anyone in the majors with a 19% swinging strike rate ( for perspective: BJ Upton at 15%, Cespedes at 12%, Fielder at 9%) and a 67% contact rate. The moment they stop throwing this guy strikes on the first pitch, he's toast, and I have a feeling that there is a more-than-prolonged slump coming. Deal him and don't look back, because you need to go win this thing.
16 team, roto 6x6

C-Castro
1B-Goldschmidt, Rizzo, Butler
2B-Kipnis, Prado
3B-Sandoval, Frazier
SS-Miller
OFs-McCutchen, Werth, Brown, Swisher, Span, Castellanos

SPs-Wacha, Ryu, Wheeler, Ventura
RPs-Reed, Hunter, Soria, Clippard, Lindstrom, Fields
Emerald City Blues
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:07 am

Puig for Cano I'd jump all over that. Maybe consider throwing Gyorko in and trying to get another piece in the deal to upgrade your team as well. I mean Cano to 2b Craig to OF and Ozuna/Gyorko or trade target in your UTL spot do that.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1936)

Postby DistractedX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Thank's for helping guys, the only thing is I made 2 trades and still have Puig. Who should I try and sell him for now? The trades were:

Prince Fielder, Jed Gyorko, and my 1st round draft pick next year(every team keeps six top 100 players and 6 bottom)
for
Evan Longoria and Ian Kinsler

AND.

Manny Machado and Everth Cabrera
for
Troy Tulowitzki

And added Michael brantly off the waiver wire and have a claim in now for leonys martin or Shane victorino. Here's my team after.
DistractedX
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DistractedX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:20 pm

So who should I aim for with Puig?

C before WILIN ROSARIO after WILIN ROSARIO
1B before PRINCE FIELDER after ALLEN CRAIG
2B before JED GYORKO after IAN KINSLER
3B before MANNY MACHADO after EVAN LONGORIA
SS before EVERTH CABRERA after TROY TULOWITZKI