Daily Fantasy Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily Fantasy Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daily Fantasy Leagues

Postby cordscords » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 pm

New thread for the rest of the season!

Since I won a fantasy contest on their website last week, I get to open up a private $5 freeroll for myself and 3 other people. It's a winner take all contest. Starts in 30 minutes, so the first 3 people to see this and sign up get a spot. Completely free to sign up.

https://www.frafty.com/contest/51d6c378 ... 006e3/live
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daily Fantasy Leagues

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:22 pm

I would have done it but I didn't see the post until just now.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:14 pm

jefferey13 wrote:I would have done it but I didn't see the post until just now.

There was a glitch in the system anyways. The link redirected you to the lobby. Sent them an email. Hopefully they will issue me a new one.

My usual strategy is to spend big on pitching, take 2 or 3 big bats, then fill the rest of my lineup with "scrubs". Applying that strategy for tonight's games starting at 7 in most of my leagues. Darvish, Bumgarner, Sale, and Moore sit on the top-tier. In 1 P formats they are a must. If you can't pair two of these guys together in 2 or 3 P formats due to budget restraints- Gallardo, Marcum, Hudson, and Kendrick fit the bill as solid options. The bats that I'm going with:

C- Wilin Rosario. Playing at Chase Field against a lefty. Spending big on him in the vast majority of my leagues. Lucroy is plan B.

1B- Paul Goldschmidt for the reasons above. David Ortiz because obviously. Can't break the bank on those 2? Albert Pujols because I think he's due for a HR and his career #'s against Dempster are sick. Ryan Howard has strong #'s against Hudson and he's still been potent against RHP this year.

2B- I own Kinsler & Hill in a couple of leagues, but mostly I'm going with the Rockies. Rutledge & DJ.

3B- I own Beltre where I can afford it, A-Ram found a home on one roster. Mostly Arenado and Sandoval. Gotta love Pandas price anywhere, even though he's been looking ugly at the dish. Doubled against Ryu yesterday though with no strikeouts. Progress!

SS- I have Segura in a couple. Then it's a scattered mess. Aybar, Simmons, Ramirez, Rolins, and Andrus depending on who's the cheapest on each site.

OF- Cody Ross in every league but one. Still listed at his usual price playing at home against a LHP. Nelson Cruz where it was possible. Heyward & Upton in quite a few, still love their prices despite the struggles.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Been away for a few days, but I'm back to continue talking to myself. There's still a freeroll available for draftkings tonight starting 9:40, so if you're reading this feel free to join in. Here's my suggested lineup on DK for the late games.

P- Barry Zito. 1.98 ERA at home this year.
P- Dillon Gee. Posey out of the lineup and the Giants bats are cold as ice. Pairing with Zito gives you a higher probability of getting a W.
C- Wilin Rosario. .982 OPS against LHP in his career, surpisingly doing better away from Coors.
1B- David Ortiz. Iwakuma coming back down to earth, crushes RHP, .909 OPS at SAFECO.
2B- Dustin Pedroia. Stack play with Ortiz.
3B- David Wright. Destroys LHP, 5-17 against Zito.
SS- Hanley Ramirez. Dude is on fire, Kennedy is struggling.
OF- Michael Cuddyer. Killing LHP, Stults has been roughed up in his last 2 starts.
OF- Shane Victorino. Stack play with Ortiz and Pedroia.
OF- Adam Eaton. Welcome back! Batting leadoff, all it takes is a single and a run to make him profitable at his price.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 pm

It's Freeroll Friday! Pretty much every website tonight is offering a freeroll. Take advantage of it.

Kershaw, Strasburg, Price, and Corbin are your aces for the evening. Spend big on them where you can. Cheaper options? Kuroda is always undervalued and looks like a solid play against the Twins. Kris Medlen threw 7 strong innings against the Reds earlier this season, and his ERA is 1.21 points lower at home.

My under-the-radar bat of the day goes to: A.J. Pollock. Likely batting leadoff, .905 OPS against LHP, and Gorzelanny is a lot more effective as a reliever than he is a starter. According to PITCHf/x, Pollock's best pitches to hit have been the 2 seam FB and slider. The 2 pitches Gorz uses the most? 2 seam FB and slider. Playing at home, hitting .295 at Chase Field, everything looks good on paper.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Anybody interested in a chance to go to the playbody mansion and potentially win $75,000? I won the freeroll on starstreet last Saturday that gave me a ticket to the qualifier this Friday night. It's $200 to buy-in from SS, I'm offering $160 to anybody who wants to buy here at the Cafe. Even if you don't finish in 1st place you still have a chance to go to the mansion and win the big prize. 2nd-11th will get you a ticket to the next qualifier, the contest this Friday night is a 60 player field.

Send me a PM if you're interested. Here's all the details- https://www.starstreet.com/pfbc
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:36 pm

trying out Draftkings for the first time. It'll be my first shot at daily fantasy baseball.

Anyone else jumping in?
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Daily Fantasy Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:39 pm

This has been talked about some in the Cheering threads, so I thought it could use it's own. I've been doing it since the middle of last season and have been pretty successful so I'm gonna post an overview of my process.

Important sites:
Daily line-ups
Fan Graphs (to check splits)
Draft Kings (I use this site)
Fan Duel
Draft Street

1. I usually start with the cheapest pitcher I can find worth starting. Guys facing bad offense, guys who have strikeout ability (strikeouts are super valuable in these leagues), and guys with a good chance of getting a win are my targets. Today I started with Robbie Ross. He costs only $5000 (very cheap, the minimum for a pitcher), is facing not a great team, and has a good offense behind him.

2a. Next I fill in my offense. I tend to choose two or three teams and draft all my guys from those teams. I think this is a lower variance play as guys get points off each other, but probably don't have the maximum potential if I picked players from all different teams. Most important things in choosing which teams to use is the quality and handedness of the pitcher they're facing. For example, today I started a bunch of right-handed Rays (Myers, Zobrist, Longo) against the lefty Mark Buehrle. Other things to take into account are batter splits (does a guy crush lefties?) and the ballpark they're playing in (a lefty in Yankee stadium?)

2b. Once I have my base team, I'll start considering the positions I have left to fill. I know I need a shortstop and catcher, so I put in Tulo, Rosario, and Cargo. With only a 1B and OF left, I started Fielder and Choo, both lefties hitting in Arlington against the righty Kyle Kendrick.

2c. If you can't get a guy as cheap as Robbie Ross (which you usually won't), then you probably won't be able to go all out on the offense like I did. In this case, I use the daily line-ups link above and try to find a cheap guy that is hitting near the top of the line up. Today, Tyler Collins is batting second for the Tigers and costs only $2200. That is incredibly cheap for pretty much anyone batting at the top of a line up, especially one as good as the Tigers. Getting a guy for a price like that gives you a ton of flexibility in the rest of your line up. Marcus Semien is another example, he's batting second for the White Sox and only costs $2700.

2d. If you make your offense in advance of line-ups being posted, it is incredibly important to keep an eye on line-ups as they are put up on the baseball press site. If guys are not starting, you need to know ASAP so you can take them out and make any adjustments you might need.

3. I pick my second starter based on how much money I have left over. In this case I still had $10,300 left over and there was a $9,800 Gio Gonzalez facing the Mets which is pretty much a no-brainer. If there was a guy who costs a little more than I had left that I wanted to start, I would go back and fiddle with my offense to see where I could save that extra cash. Since I had $500 leftover, I went back to see if there was anywhere I could upgrade my offense. Since I'm a Giants homer and they're facing a lefty, I switched out Rosario for Posey who costs $400 more. Another option is to go back and see if there is a better first pitcher available with that extra cash.

There are other strategies, such as starting with the best pitcher option available (such as if Darvish was facing the Astros), or even starting two ace pitchers as they have the ability to rack up huge amounts of points. The overall process is similar, you look for cheap guys with big splits hitting near the top of a line up and do your best to fill in the offense with the money you have available.

Let's use this thread to post advice, questions, or your teams and make some money this year. Good luck guys.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Awesome input and advice ;-D
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)