What do you think of this Blockbuster? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What do you think of this Blockbuster?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think of this Blockbuster?

Postby shadowmoses » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm in a 17 team, 5x5 Standard Roto league. Currently reside in first place by a wide margin, leading the league in most pitching categories, and am near the top in R, HR, and AVG. My only weakness are in SB and SV, where I am middle of the pack. I was thinking of proposing the following trade to an owner near the bottom of the league who is desperate for some offense.

Trade Away: Encarnacion, Parra, Blanks, Uggla, Mujica
Trade For: Lind, Cespedes, Hill, Rodney

Would you accept such an offer? Or is my asking price a bit too high? I feel it may be tough to swing due to name value alone (Hill, Cespedes, Rodney were all highly ranked coming into the season), but among my hitters only Uggla is a truly weak link. Parra has performed as a top 100 player, as well as Blanks in a smaller sample size. That being said, playing time could be an issue for the former once Eaton returns, and Blanks health is always a huge question mark, which are among my reasons for proposing the offer. I'm also very high on Lind, and have to hope the opposing owner isn't quite so high on him. I'm hoping his low place in the standings may make him more open to shaking things up. Any feedback would be appreciated.
shadowmoses
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What do you think of this Blockbuster?

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm confused: you need SB and SVs and yet are losing on the closer end of this deal (Mujica > Rodney), and you're not getting any steals guys back (Cespedes ain't running so far).

PASS.

See mine? Thx. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=463024
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby shadowmoses » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm not looking to address those needs via this trade (nor may I ever need to if I keep up my dominance in other areas). Just because I have had a strong first half offensively does not mean the production will continue until seasons end. I'm a big believer in Lind and Hill, and expect Cespedes to turn in a better second half as well. I also have my concerns about Parra and Blanks, and have been trying to find a way to move Uggla off my roster as well as clear a roster spot for a free agent. You could say I'm partly trying to sell high on Parra, Blanks, and Mujica.
shadowmoses
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Ahhh...You are dealing Encarnacion, a pretty good closer on a good team (Mujica), a couple of decent players and a watse of food (Uggla) for a perrenial underperformer (Lind), Cespedes who is hitting in the 220s, a closer that is having an off year and is not as good as Mujica and Hill who is hardly a sure thing and just back from the DL. Encarnacion alone is too much for that lot imo. This deal hurts you imo so I do not get why you think it is a positive for you.

As for clearing a spot with Uggla, just cut him or trade him for a bag of rocks\middle reliever...He stinks and no one wants him. His better years are behind him. I would doubt he has any real value even in a 17 team league being the poor man's version of Adam Dunn at 2b (Uggla actually has more Ks than Dunn in fewer ABs if you can believe it).
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby shadowmoses » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:32 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Ahhh...You are dealing Encarnacion, a pretty good closer on a good team (Mujica), a couple of decent players and a watse of food (Uggla) for a perrenial underperformer (Lind), Cespedes who is hitting in the 220s, a closer that is having an off year and is not as good as Mujica and Hill who is hardly a sure thing and just back from the DL. Encarnacion alone is too much for that lot imo. This deal hurts you imo so I do not get why you think it is a positive for you.

As for clearing a spot with Uggla, just cut him or trade him for a bag of rocks\middle reliever...He stinks and no one wants him. His better years are behind him. I would doubt he has any real value even in a 17 team league being the poor man's version of Adam Dunn at 2b (Uggla actually has more Ks than Dunn in fewer ABs if you can believe it).

Right, but you can't just ignore the potential of either Cespedes or Hill, regardless of their first half performances. We've seen what Cespedes can do when he reaches that potential, and he's still been plenty useful with his HR and R/RBI numbers. Hill's injury was flukey and he would represent a significant upgrade over Uggla. Lind I like for my own personal reasons. I'm just concerned that others will see Parra and Blanks and judge them by their rankings rather than their actual performance this year. The opposite should be true for Cespedes and Hill, who were ranked highly coming into the season for a reason.

If anything, I'll probably just offer the same deal minus Blanks and see if that works.
shadowmoses
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:52 pm

shadowmoses wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Ahhh...You are dealing Encarnacion, a pretty good closer on a good team (Mujica), a couple of decent players and a watse of food (Uggla) for a perrenial underperformer (Lind), Cespedes who is hitting in the 220s, a closer that is having an off year and is not as good as Mujica and Hill who is hardly a sure thing and just back from the DL. Encarnacion alone is too much for that lot imo. This deal hurts you imo so I do not get why you think it is a positive for you.

Right, but you can't just ignore the potential of either Cespedes or Hill, regardless of their first half performances. We've seen what Cespedes can do when he reaches that potential, and he's still been plenty useful with his HR and R/RBI numbers. Hill's injury was flukey and he would represent a significant upgrade over Uggla. Lind I like for my own personal reasons. I'm just concerned that others will see Parra and Blanks and judge them by their rankings rather than their actual performance this year. The opposite should be true for Cespedes and Hill, who were ranked highly coming into the season for a reason.

If anything, I'll probably just offer the same deal minus Blanks and see if that works.

What has potential got to do with EE? He is already a sure thing on the higher end. I am not getting why you want to trade a top-tier player for another you think has potential to what equal EE's numbers? Add in a bunch of parts that are worse than what you are giving up? Lind and Hill...really? You could get those two for one decent closer in most leagues I should think. Hill was sitting on most 10 team free agent wires until just recently. Uggla is still sitting there. Lind has not had a good year since 2009. Even if he keeps up his current pace he is still a 20/70/70 guy with no speed and a good avg which is nothing special that will get land him in the early to mid teen rounds next year I should think.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions