The Betting Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Betting Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Betting Thread

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 am

Very hard to bet on baseball.
I do a few pre-season over/unders and pick a game every now and again. Parlaying in baseball is basically throwing your money away.
I generally preserve my serious betting and larger wagers for NHL playoffs and NFL regular season and playoffs.

That said: Masterson is -140 vs Porcello and I like the over 8.5
Cashner and Gio have been pitching well so I like the under 7.5
Correia and Buehrle suck so I like the over 9.0 just hope that Buehrle sticks around and bleeds and the toronto bullpen doesnt get involved early
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jefferey13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:13 pm

cordscords wrote:
I think the "locks" of the day are the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Reds, and Braves. Right now a .50 parlay on 5dimes wins you $4.21.

There are a couple of people who have mentioned not to use parlays and I thought I'd just explain a bit why most people are adverse to the parlay.

With this 5 team parlay you are getting 8.42 to 1. Seems like a good payoff when you risk so little to win over 8x what you bet. A solid sports better will be able to win their pics 60% of the time. So with 60% in mind, the odds of picking the money correctly on 5 teams in a row is .6^5. That comes out to 7.78% chance to pick correctly. With these odds your payout should be 12.86 to 1. So you should be getting 50% more on all of your bets.

So lets look at what happens. Right now with a 60% win history, if you made this same 50 cent bet 100 times, you would win about 8 times. That would be a payoff of $37.68. That is a net loss of $12.32.

Now what if you just bet that money on the money line with the same odds of picking winners? Lets assume your average money line is -150. If you made 50 cent bets 100 times, you win $50, now you at least break even.

Now lets run those same numbers one more time, except this time saying you only pick winners about 55% of the time (I'd say more average). Parlays you would win $23.55. Now a net loss of $26.45. Straight money line bets would have you win $45.83, now you only lose $4.17.

Okay now 65%- Parlays you net about $4. Money line about $4. Same thing. So unless you plan on picking better than 65% (which I don't think anyone does?), stay away from the parlays. The risk of ruin is just so big on the parlays.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 154)

Postby cordscords » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:25 pm

jefferey13 wrote:
cordscords wrote:
I think the "locks" of the day are the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Reds, and Braves. Right now a .50 parlay on 5dimes wins you $4.21.

There are a couple of people who have mentioned not to use parlays and I thought I'd just explain a bit why most people are adverse to the parlay.

With this 5 team parlay you are getting 8.42 to 1. Seems like a good payoff when you risk so little to win over 8x what you bet. A solid sports better will be able to win their pics 60% of the time. So with 60% in mind, the odds of picking the money correctly on 5 teams in a row is .6^5. That comes out to 7.78% chance to pick correctly. With these odds your payout should be 12.86 to 1. So you should be getting 50% more on all of your bets.

So lets look at what happens. Right now with a 60% win history, if you made this same 50 cent bet 100 times, you would win about 8 times. That would be a payoff of $37.68. That is a net loss of $12.32.

Now what if you just bet that money on the money line with the same odds of picking winners? Lets assume your average money line is -150. If you made 50 cent bets 100 times, you win $50, now you at least break even.

Now lets run those same numbers one more time, except this time saying you only pick winners about 55% of the time (I'd say more average). Parlays you would win $23.55. Now a net loss of $26.45. Straight money line bets would have you win $45.83, now you only lose $4.17.

Okay now 65%- Parlays you net about $4. Money line about $4. Same thing. So unless you plan on picking better than 65% (which I don't think anyone does?), stay away from the parlays. The risk of ruin is just so big on the parlays.

Those numbers are certainly inflated. 55% puts you in the top-tier of all sports. In baseball you can hit on less than 50% and still come out in the black (not the green, my mistake).

I understand where you're coming from though. It's a hail mary play. I had the luxury of playing it because I've been profitable this season. I saw a few matchups that I really liked so I went for it.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby jefferey13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:05 pm

cordscords wrote:
jefferey13 wrote:
cordscords wrote:

Those numbers are certainly inflated. 55% puts you in the top-tier of all sports. In baseball you can hit on less than 50% and still come out in the black (not the green, my mistake).

I understand where you're coming from though. It's a hail mary play. I had the luxury of playing it because I've been profitable this season. I saw a few matchups that I really liked so I went for it.

Ya, but I inflated them in your favor. The lower you go the worse it gets for the parlay. And 50% only puts in you in the black if you are picking underdogs. Just think, if you pick even matchups (-110 from bc of the vig), you will end up in the red if you are 50%.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:55 pm

The dodgers are at +157 on the money line. A lot of people must be betting on the Giants for the line to go that far. I mean Fife has been solid and the dodgers are 8-2 in their last 10 while the Giants are 1-9.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheTrith » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Bumgarner though.
TheTrith
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 214)

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:29 pm

TheTrith wrote:Bumgarner though.

Ya he is killing. However with the +157 that just means the dodgers would have to beat bumgarner 2 out of 5 times which i felt was reasonable.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fast dogs » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Ump in Anaheim is 12 over 4 unders so far this year, I'll stick with that trend
easy to hit 60% of your best in baseball, its the -190 and -200 that beats you.
I went with the Gio & Cashner under play yesterday also, looked good on paper
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby wingman3110 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:01 am

Not too crazy with any of the lines today. And Sundays for some reason are normally weird to bet on for baseball.

If I do anything today it'll be

DET -140
WAS/SDG Over 7.5
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 334)

Postby jefferey13 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:10 pm

@fastdogs- nice bet from yesterday. You called that one easy.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers