The Betting Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Betting Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Betting Thread

Postby jefferey13 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:20 pm

I thought it would maybe be neat to have a place to discuss the lines for the day we find to be good. Also a place to post which bets you make for the days game and to brag about your wins.

Today I liked the Cards money like at +114. Even though Weaver had the good last start and the Angels are at home. I like the bet.

7:05p
St. Louis Cardinals Lance Lynn (R)
+1½ (-195) +114

930 Los Angeles Angels Jered Weaver (R)
-1½ (+165) -124

8 (-120)o (EVEN)u

I also put a couple bucks on the dodger game as I always do to make my watching even more enjoyable. I just place really small bet amounts. I put $2 over on kershaw for 6.5K. One problem is I can't be against the dodgers.

Anyone else have any lines out?
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Betting Thread

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:22 pm

TB and LAD parlay tonight

Also NYY on the ML
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 129)

Postby jefferey13 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 pm

wingman3110 wrote:TB and LAD parlay tonight

Also NYY on the ML

Very nice
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:21 am

Dropped $10 on the moneyline for the Rays to beat the Astros. Glad I did.

I think the "locks" of the day are the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Reds, and Braves. Right now a .50 parlay on 5dimes wins you $4.21.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 am

cordscords wrote:Dropped $10 on the moneyline for the Rays to beat the Astros. Glad I did.

I think the "locks" of the day are the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Reds, and Braves. Right now a .50 parlay on 5dimes wins you $4.21.

Agreed those are all safe plays. It's just that a 5 team parlay is very unlikely to be successful. Baseball is wayyyy too fluky at times, but I'd have no problem doing a two or three team parlay with above mentioned ;-D
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 129)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 am

cordscords wrote:Dropped $10 on the moneyline for the Rays to beat the Astros. Glad I did.

These are the sentences of somebody who is brand new to sports gambling.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:06 am

bigh0rt wrote:

Nope. Been doing it for years. 5 team parlays are risky, hence the pathetic .50 bet. I can afford to lose a measly .50 for a solid payoff.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:53 am

cordscords wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Nope. Been doing it for years. 5 team parlays are risky, hence the pathetic .50 bet. I can afford to lose a measly .50 for a solid payoff.

If you've been doing it for years, you should've learned more by now. Unless you're just doing it to keep yourself entertained and don't mind slowly being bled dry of all the money you're willing to lose, which is something plenty of people do, whether they are doing it willfully or not. Baseball is an interesting beast to bet on. Very different, gambling-wise, from all of the other major sports. You can't win money over any stretch of time, betting the heavy favorites. Either the gains are too little, or the hit too great when you lose, due to the juice being so high. Thus, aside from the parlay in general being a sucker bet, especially after you go more than 2 or 3 games, picking 5 of the heaviest favorites of the day, even further limiting the payout, is about the same as you just dropping the 50 cents out of your pocket on the street. As I said, if this is more about having a vested interest in those 5 games and for some fun for the day, I get that. If you want to try and win some money, though, even if it's just 50 cents at a time, you'd be much better served researching those 5 games and picking the 1 or 2 you're most confident in, having a reason for them, and putting 50 cents on each, or even splitting your 50 cents among it. You'd increase your likelihood of profiting on the day exponentially, because you've got just about zero chance at winning that $4.21.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:31 am

Ever bought a lottery ticket? Same concept. I only endulge in these plays about 5 times a year. I usually hit on one. Don't read too much into it. I'm in the green this year.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

The Betting Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 am

Yep, it's all about picking the better pitcher against the better team, if that makes sense at all. It's the only way to score are positive gains in this game.

For example, the line might favor StL with Westbrook pitching over Washington with Jordan z on the hill, and that's the money type of game. A good team vs. a bad team doesn't pay well enough (in comparison to the loss amount) and Jose Fernandez vs. Atlanta is just too risky an endeavor.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers