I'm stumped... WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

I'm stumped... WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm stumped... WHIR

Postby thatguysound » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey all...

I'm at a loss for what to do with my team. On paper I think I should have as solid a team as you can find, especially given the league format (H2H), but nothing has been clicking, at least not at the same time. My hitters started out like gangbusters while my pitching was mediocre at best. My pitching has started to turn it around recently, but my hitters have gone into a major slump. What it all means is that I'm treading water at just above .500 for the season because I can't get both sides to perform at the same time. Who should I try to cut bait with? Who's going to rebound, and who's weigh me down? WHIR

10 team keeper league, H2H.

Offense cats: H, R, HR, RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG
Pitching cats: H allowed, ER allowed, W, SV, TB allowed, K, ERA, WHIP, QS

C: Napoli
1B: Goldschmidt
2B: Kinsler
3B: Machado
SS: Segura
OF: Harper, J. Upton, A. Gonzalez
UT: Longoria, Crisp
Bench: Profar, R. Davis, J. Rutledge, T. d'Arnaud
DL: Tulowitzki, Gyorko,

SP: Scherzer, Samardzija, J. Johnson, E. Santana, Ryu, Gallardo
RP: Rodney, F. Rodriguez, C. Perez, T. Wilhelmsen
DL: B. Beachy

Obviously, I have a few guys on the DL, and when they get back, I'll be dropping some combination of Davis, Rutledge, d'Arnaud, Gallardo, or one of the RP's (I only have 3 RP slots and no P slots - I have four because I don't trust any of them). SB and SV are probably my most obvious weaknesses, but in the H2H format I can live with punting those two categories and (hopefully) winning most of the rest. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be working. I feel like the 2013 LA Lakers - big names all over the place, but it's just not coming together the way it should. Any thoughts? Please?
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I'm stumped... WHIR

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Not really imo. Tulo got hurt (shocking). J. Upton started off hot and then went back to his usual mediocre, k-machine, overrated self. At least you have Justin and not his brother lol. Crisp has been good but is always a candidate to miss some time. Your bench is fairly weak now imo for a shallow league due to the injuries. More likely your team is regressing to the norm of their expected outputs while also suffering a few injuries. The offense is still pretty decent when healthy imo.

I know it is H2h, but imo your bigger problem longterm is going to be the pitching staff. Johnson and Gallardo are bums and likely not fantasy worthy. E. Santana is, well E. Santana but stranger things have happened so maybe he keeps this up. Your closers are marginal at best with only 2 having secure jobs (Rodney and Perez), which will make it hard to compete in saves in a 10 team league week to week.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 820)

Postby RasmusFlow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I think your starting offence is solid. You should be able to win most offensive categories every week so if you aren't right now I would just wait it out. But, I agree with the guy above that you're pitching will be your biggest problem. You have 2 injury prone superstars in Tulo and Longo and you have young studs to replace them. I think you should move one of them and get a solid ace to help out your staff. Also, depending on how many keepers you're allowed, I don't think D'Arnaud is worth a wasted spot on your bench. Davis is also droppable once Melky returns.
RasmusFlow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 44)

Postby thatguysound » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:17 pm

I can't really deal any of my SS or 3B while Tulo and Longoria are injured. My big question is about Upton. Did I hold on to him too long? He might not be as good as he was the first month or so, but surely he is better than he's been. Should I just try to cut bait with him as soon as possible, or can I hope for a rebound?
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm

thatguysound wrote:I can't really deal any of my SS or 3B while Tulo and Longoria are injured. My big question is about Upton. Did I hold on to him too long? He might not be as good as he was the first month or so, but surely he is better than he's been. Should I just try to cut bait with him as soon as possible, or can I hope for a rebound?

There is always someone who believes that Justin Upton is a superstar and will breakout any day now. I think he is what he is. Namely, a decent player but way overrated. K's too much. Gets hurt a lot. 270s-280's type hitter with 20 HR power who will steal you 15-20 bases. Which means that IF he is healthy he will likely bounce back some, but he has been erratic in his career so he could just be having an off year and end up hitting 250 something. Trade him if you can get good value back imo.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 820)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions